data-csrf="1711631292,a7d2d05f28640d435ffa2054367ee650" SWFA SS 1X4 | As Real As It Gets

SWFA SS 1X4

22 skadoo

Dec 9, 2007
NJ
Anyone have one and what is your opinion on the 1X4 SS.Im thinking it would be nice on a 10/22 TD.

Big Stick

Nov 18, 2007
Paradise
I'd not TD,unless it wore a cantilever...otherwise all bets are off.

The Illuminati is handy on a 10/22.................

22 skadoo

Dec 9, 2007
NJ
UPS delivered the 1x4 SS with the SS mount and i put it on a 10/22.Like you said Stick it is very handy.Purchased it on good Friday and saved some cash.The scope looks very well built and the glass is nice for the price i paid for it.Stick thanks for your input on the scope.Does swfa have a sale on these more then once a year?

Big Stick

Nov 18, 2007
Paradise
I shoot 'em daily and think rather highly of the parcel.

Pinned mine all to 4x,so the windshield subtends with the erector and simply treat it as a straight 4x Fixed Fucker..............

TXNative

Jan 27, 2013
I really like the 1x4 on my 6x47 and picked up another on Tuesday, I will drop it on a new AR build.

22 skadoo

Dec 9, 2007
NJ
First trip to the range with the SS 1X4 on my 10/22 and I had a big smile on my face.Next time they go on sale I will get another. Thanks Again

Brett

Oct 19, 2013
OK
Is the center dot the best aiming point for precision work, or is the tip of the diamond better?

22 skadoo

Dec 9, 2007
NJ
What kind of bullets did you use on that deer?The reticle on the scope is about perfect for hunting.

22 skadoo

Dec 9, 2007
NJ
SWFA is running a tax day sale on a lot of shit if anyone is interested.Just picked up another 1x4.$299.95. Stick thanks for turning me on to these,they are a lot of scope for the money.

Big Stick

Nov 18, 2007
Paradise
I hear good thangs.

Pard hooked himself today,by gunning Slim Shady at the 800yd line and doing what he wanted,as he wanted...when he wanted.

Only (2) Mils of 75 Hornie BTHP wind......................

cwh

Administrator
Nov 18, 2007
Anchorage
I confirmed this week that I broke my 1-4 somehow. Need to tear it off and send it back to see what the texans say.

Don't think I'll be running that scope on the 375 anymore.

cwh

Administrator
Nov 18, 2007
Anchorage
I put maybe 150 rounds through the rifle with the scope mounted. Everything looked good, was shooting great. Took it to Kodiak on a bear hunt, where it was not fired. Took it to moose/caribou camp, shot a bou with it, about 150 yards - worked perfect. Few days later I am chasing a moose, shoulder the rifle, and can't focus. ~120 yards. Adjust focus... fuck around for 5+ minutes. Get the shot I want, and... whiff. Whiff. Whiff. With witnesses, who were quite impressed. "You weren't even close". Actually pretty lucky I didn't kill a calf or cow that was in the group.

So, repeated the drama at the range. Can focus the image and can focus the reticle, but not at the same time. Don't think it is mounts, as they are quite well loctited, and are steel. PRW's I think. Anyway, we shall see.

Big Stick

Nov 18, 2007
Paradise
Focus crosshairs before glass is ever mounted on a rifle. Tape it in place and forget it,until if/when your eyesight really takes a change on you.

As far as image "focus",there is none.

So 'splain to me just what the fuck you are whirling/turning and how/why. Have had lotsa glass puke internally,but never a Fixed Fucker or Illuminatti,so I'm a touch curious on the particulars.

I beat thedrum often,that folks should shoot MUCH more than they do,if only to stay abreast of a platform's integrity...long before Crunch Time.

One of many reasons I shoot daily.............

Tanner

Jan 24, 2013
Colorado
I actually had the exact same thing happen with my Illuminati that Chris did... again on a semi lightweight 375 H&H. I don't think they can handle boomers.... mine will be headed back to SWFA.

Tanner

JCM

Jan 8, 2013
I've got one on an AR and was about to move it to a .375 Ruger....but I think it will stay on the .223. On second thought it might be fun to go BIG BORE with it on a 77/357.

Tanner

Jan 24, 2013
Colorado
Yeah, I'd keep it off anything that recoils substantially... it was great on my 16" LMT but this is the 3rd one that I've heard of puking on bigger rifles.

Tanner

jack mountain

Feb 6, 2014
VA
Got two leupold 1.5-5x, 30mm tube, German #4 reticle with illuminated dot in the center. Euro model? Has metric adjustments.
Anyway, really like them. Ones on a 376 steyr, others on a 35 whelen AI. The Steyr's had quite a few rounds through it with zero issues.

Big Stick

Nov 18, 2007
Paradise
Tough to beat a Reupold 6x42 on a Boomer.

Tougher yet,to suffer set and forget...especially without a meaningful windshield..........

Tanner

Jan 24, 2013
Colorado
I kinda' like having a low end for CQB shit with bears... wouldn't hate a 1-4 leupold with an M1 though I'd be curious to see how it retained zero and dialed.

Tanner

4th_point

Dec 4, 2013
Oregon
I had a PA red dot on my XCR in .338 Win Mag for awhile. Load has been a 210 gr TTSX at 2915 fps.

With Grayboe stock at 180 yards; 3-shots while getting zero dialed in:

4th_point

Dec 4, 2013
Oregon
Had Aimpoint T1 and H1 units on other rifles, but I suspect that even the Primary Arms units are pretty tough. They are cheap enough that a bunch of people have beat the shit out of them, and they seem to survive. And low mass might help with the recoil and vibration. Same with the Burris FastFires, that often live on pistol slides.

Unless they are mounted on a gas tube :grin: The heat seems to kill the seals on everything other than an Aimpoint.

Here's the same .338 XCR with PA red dot, but using the factory noodle stock at 320 yards. Copper impacts are my TTSX loads, the others are lead core loads from another rifle.

Not great, but not too bad for a 2-moa dot at 300+ and my astigmatism. Never had trouble hitting the plate at ~300 yards, but it's 12x12 so take it for what it's worth.

Big Stick

Nov 18, 2007
Paradise
Tanner said:
I kinda' like having a low end for CQB shit with bears... wouldn't hate a 1-4 leupold with an M1 though I'd be curious to see how it retained zero and dialed.

Tanner
When shit is CLOSE,glass selection is moot and nothing matters more than stock fit,balance/handling and familiarity.

I've lived happily with 6x42's on Kodiak,Afognak and the ABC's,as well as more than a few mainland haunts.

I prolly ain't dead either..........(grin)

Big Stick

Nov 18, 2007
Paradise
Would LOVE to see a Reupold 6x42 wearing an etched Illuminatti reticle,with Illuminatti illumination.

Set,forget and NO fret............

TXNative

Jan 27, 2013
So the 1X4 SS is shit-canned after a few failures and the runner up is Leupold and chinker re-dots, that is funny for sure.

Big Stick

Nov 18, 2007
Paradise
I can't comment on anyone's stable but mine and those of folks I shoot/hunt with. In that regard,the Illuminatti stays and Reupold 6x42's are largely long gone.

The recent crops of Reupolds in all Makes/Models,are simply fucking dog shit. Sad but true.

The 6x42 and MK4 6x have long been their best offerings and the 6x42 has been all but ruined,as per their latest trends and the MK4 short lived and long gone. The MK4 was never done even close to right,as they were only offered in M3 configuration.

MK4 M3 6x. Hint.

Easy for me to say...if only because I've got/shot it all.

The Reupold 6x42 wearing an etched reticle,that mimics the Illuminatti in both subtension and Illumination,would connect alotta dots. One could reap Reupold 6x42 eye-relief,eye box and ease of acquisition,along with the inherent sanctity of a farrrrrrrrr more robust reticle that subtends greater,than that which is typically coughed up as being available on a 6x42's erector.

It'd be sensational on a Boomer............

Big Stick

Nov 18, 2007
Paradise
Should add,that in regards to the MK4 M3 6x,some are taken aback by the wrong wayzee erector travel,but it never troubled me.

Though BDC's always suck ass,it was but a phone call away to source a straight MOA ele turret. I'm no fan of 1MOA ele graduations,but .5MOA wind isn't horrid.

I'd LOVE to see a MK4 M1 wearing a MQ reticle and Illuminatti illumination,with an erector that jived in subtension of same.

They've less than zero interest,in doing anything right.............

4th_point

Dec 4, 2013
Oregon
TXNative said:
So the 1X4 SS is shit-canned after a few failures and the runner up is Leupold and chinker re-dots, that is funny for sure.
I've been out of the FX3 game for a few years, due to the MQ and heavy dialing. I'd consider them again, for set and forget, but recent reports are not encouraging for zero retention.

I wouldn't lump SWFA 1-4x with Classic fixed, the other Classic variable, or the HD variables. Different animal, made in a different facility. I have no idea on the warranty rate, but 1-4x failures seem more common than all the others.

A red dot makes for a handy sighting device on a bolt action, but it's not for everyone. I could live with it for 0 - 300-ish yards, depending on trajectory. Battery life is obviously better on the Aimpoints, but other than that I didn't shoot any better with them. I'm down to the FF3 and PA red dot for plinkers now. If I was worried about them, I'd get another Aimpoint. Probably the T2, but prism scopes work better for astigmatism (but eye relief usually sucks).

Dan In Alaska

Nov 30, 2007
Anchorage
4th_point said:
Same with the Burris FastFires, that often live on pistol slides.
Local Cabela's had a couple of the refurbished big dot (8 MOA) FastFire 3s in their bargain cave for $108. I thought about picking one up for the kids' AR15/22.

I never thought about putting one on a boomer, but I bet it would work.

Dan In Alaska

Nov 30, 2007
Anchorage
Big Stick said:
When shit is CLOSE,glass selection is moot and nothing matters more than stock fit,balance/handling and familiarity.
Yes, absolutely.

That being said, I have never been able to point any of my rifles like my shotguns. I was a shotgunner, first, so all of my rifles feel weird to me when it comes time to point them. I still want to aim them.

And, archery equipment is even more foreign to me; I am not an instinctive bow shooter, at all.

Tanner

Jan 24, 2013
Colorado
Big Stick said:
Tanner said:

Tanner

I've lived happily with 6x42's on Kodiak,Afognak and the ABC's,as well as more than a few mainland haunts.

I prolly ain't dead either..........(grin)
Rifle fits me pretty fucking well and points pretty good too so that part is at least checked off... I'll probably try a few different scopes and see WTF works best.

Tanner

Tanner

Jan 24, 2013
Colorado
TXNative said:
I sure as shit won't be reaching for another 1-4 SS after having this one shit the bed before guiding a moose hunt 200 miles from the nearest township... There are a few candidates that cost quite a bit more but at some point a guy might just have to drop some good coin for a durable small optic...

Tanner

Big Stick

Nov 18, 2007
Paradise
I don't have an Illuminatti on a Boomer,so cain't comment.

Nice to shoot daily,for the warmest of fuzzies.

Mounts matter more than a smidge too.............

Apr 3, 2010
Kind of debating putting an old M8 6x42 back on a boomer I have. Set and forget plus long eye relief. For 250 yards and under I don't mind holding as needed with a duplex.

Big Stick

Nov 18, 2007
Paradise
For quick/fast and eye-relief they have no equal. I've heard good thangs about elder generation(s) with M1 ele...........

cwh

Administrator
Nov 18, 2007
Anchorage
I went back to the Leupold M8 6x42 with M1 on my 375.

Took it on the same hunt where the 1-4 failed last year.

Shot a bou with it like last year. Shot a forky moose with it in the same swamp where I missed a forky moose last year.

Range was the same as last year, but results were different.

Could have used illumination, as it was the very last light.

cwh

Administrator
Nov 18, 2007
Anchorage
My 1-4 doesn't rattle, but haven't got around to sending it back. Have a handfull of Leopold's in that same condition.
Sad where that brand has gone, but there isn't much to be done about it.

Big Stick

Nov 18, 2007
Paradise
I think Reupold ships in that condition anymore.(grin)

If I had to tote a 375...it's barrel wouldn't be longer than 22" and it would have a proven 6x42 in DD's...........

Big Stick

Nov 18, 2007
Paradise
Was just now tearing shit apart looking for my G-12 charger and found (2) more Reupold 6x42's.

Pretty funny!................

4th_point

Dec 4, 2013
Oregon
I hear what you're saying about the Meopta reticles and turrets.

I'm not in the market for a 6x with duplex, but for dudes wanting a scope for set-n-forget, there aren't many 6x42 options other than the leper from Beavertown.

Just haven't seen that scope in person, or know anyone that has.

Lineman

Dec 31, 2010
VA
Big Stick said:
For a No Touchy and No Feely...the Reupold 6x42 does it all.............
My favorite scope of all time.

Seen a lot of bad shit from them in new stuff, all have involved turrets or CDS though.

Still makes me question anything from them. Wish they'd get their shit right, it's literally all I'd buy except for maybe a SS or two just for all the elevation adjustment on a couple rimfires.

Big Stick

Nov 18, 2007
Paradise
Twisted turrets for a goodly portion of the day and never wished for a Reupold.(grin)

Got a 6 Grendel half wayzee converted over to how I want it and it was doing rather nice things at the 1010yd line today(the reticle will get it there with a 200yd zero). It'll be better wearing an A2 handle.

Sensationally wicked chambering,with 105 Hornie HPBT's......................