data-csrf="1711619339,eff91d58a5f93cbb30d172ae5a64216f" SWFA's with 50 MOA of cant | As Real As It Gets

SWFA's with 50 MOA of cant

Wiserfool

Sep 6, 2020
I have so far run SWFA's with 20 MOA of cant. I'm setting up a 7.5 twist vanilla 22-250 for some 88gr fun and hope to stretch it out. I bought the fixins to install an SS with 50 MOA of cant (still incoming), but have other options from 20 to 40 MOA in the parts drawer. The old adage of a scope functions better near the center of it's adjustment range has me considering.... I have confidence in the SWFA internals and figure the elevation will be solid even zeroing the scope near the lower limit of it's elevation range, but would appreciate hearing from anyone who has been there, done that. I have zero interest in shooting this build at ranges under 250 yards, so figure that would be a nice zero point. Thoughts???

Big Stick

Nov 18, 2007
Paradise
I have many with 75MOA in them,so as to reap ALL the erector travel I can and on a 50yd zero(Lonnngggggg Range 22LR's). 50 MOA is nothing and less a fret. Such things negate a Zero Stop. What are said rifle's particulars? Which scope in particular? As you go above 10x in Fixed Fucker,you start LOSING erector travel. 6's and 10's have 40 Mil's plus travel.

25MOA top,75MOA bottom. I'll take ALL I can get on the rail,so as to roll lower height(flat) rings.

EVERYTHING below zero,is 100% fucking USELESS......................

Wiserfool

Sep 6, 2020
As you go above 10x in Fixed Fucker,you start LOSING erector travel. 6's and 10's have 40 Mil's plus travel.
I have a 16x and a 10x to choose from. I know you don't like to go over 10x, but my eyes are OLD so I was thinking 16x. The 10 will serve me better on a mid range chambered rifle. I had looked up the stats for the 16x and figured I had 55 MOA down to play with, hence my question.

I truly appreciate the willingness to share info from the edge of "normal" that abounds here. There is so much forum info out there (campfire, etc) that is just plain stupid and wrong.

Big Stick

Nov 18, 2007
Paradise
Shimmed base and Signatures,left 42.7 Mil's on 6x MQ erector,with 225yd zero. Less than a Mil left over,which is PERFECT,in my book.

I have some 16x MQ's but can't find them. The image quality hit is pretty big,as is the erector travel,as compared to the 6/10X's. For Utility,I'll take a 6x MQ EVERY day. For a Play Toy,I can certainly 10x. I have 12's and while much better than the 16x,it starts painting a guy in a corner pretty quick.

Was shooting 162 comeups this morning,at 1300yds with a 6x and wasn't wishing for anything else. "Magnification" means dicknothing largely,but eye-relief,FOV,eyebox,exit pupil,ease of acquisition and erector travel certainly do...................

Big Stick

Nov 18, 2007
Paradise
The 6x42 has a 7mm exit pupil,which does more favors than "power". The 16x would require a 112mm Objective,to equal same.

The 10x has a 4.2mm exit pupil. The 16x would require a 67.2mm Objective,to equal same.

Less is soooooo very often,MORE.................

Reactions: Wiserfool

Wiserfool

Sep 6, 2020
Well, the rail, the 16x and the 10x came in the mail yesterday. The 16x went down the road already. The 10x is in the rings, leanin 50 MOA to bow.
Karma's always an interesting slut to party with. Previously loved 10x and 16x Mil Quads purchased, 10x Mil Quad, 16x MOA Quad popped out of the box. Boom, full refund. Snowing HARD today.

Last edited:

Wiserfool

Sep 6, 2020
I don't own a camera, just phone pics for this guy and beautifully back lit to boot LOL. Very early Remington 700 (smooth round bolt handle like a 78) SA, blueprinted, Bravo chassis with MDT steel 5 rounders, Remage 7.5 twist Varmint weight barrel, Area 419 30 MOA Picatinny, Signature Zee's with 20 MOA cant in inserts. I haven't decided how much to chop the barrel yet. The vast majority of the rifles I have owned have been 20" and I have never owned one over 22" except a pair of CZ 453 Americans @ 24". Can't decide if 20" is too short since it is Vanilla 22-250 so maybe up to 22" but I'm more worried about spinning jackets off bullets than I am about milking max velocity, so probably 20". While we're at it, I acquired a couple of Bergara HMR stocks stupid cheap in a package. Ergo's seem great for me, but the forend is kinda flexy and they are pretty butt heavy. Anyone else tried the HMR's? Love the Bravo.

22-250.jpg

Last edited:

Big Stick

Nov 18, 2007
Paradise
20" 7" RPM Mike Rock 22-250 SALAMI.

75's,88's and/or 90 Beer Cans...take your pick and rest assured,none of 'em bounce off...............

Wiserfool

Sep 6, 2020
Beer cans are too spendy for this old rancher's performance requirements. I'm lookin at some moly'd 88's as we speak and still have 1.5K of 75 A-Max's left, so that is the intended diet for sure. The 20" looks nice, more my style as well.

Big Stick

Nov 18, 2007
Paradise
88's are impossible to touch,when weighing bang for the buck.

I'd rather give an erector a coupla extra "clicks' at 1000yds+,than schlep a coupla extra inches of spout.

Balance/handling matter to me............

Wiserfool

Sep 6, 2020
Yep, 88's seem like the sweet spot for cost/performance if you got the twist to run em. Do you Sawzall freehand during the chop or is it worth riggin a mitring jig to stay square. I figure freehand on tape, file flat and eyeball square with a square, relieve outside edges a bit, crown and go. Do you put anything in the bore during the chop? I've been on various gun sites since the old Shooters board days. By far, I've learned the most here. Obliged once again for your willingness to mentor.

Big Stick

Nov 18, 2007
Paradise
I generally double up on patches,a wee bit shy of THE Chop and freeball. Square cain't hurt aesthetics,but it don't make a fuck for Precision.

I've cut piles of them crooked on purpose,to illustrate just that,while in the Field.

It fucks with Dissenters heads................(grin)

Big Stick

Nov 18, 2007
Paradise
Found a 16x MQ.

With windage mechanically centered,it has 32.5 Mil's of erector travel. In other circles,that'd be fucking AMAZING...but it's more than 10 Mil's shy of a 6x or 10x,configured same.

An easy pass for me,both optically and mechanically...................

Wiserfool

Sep 6, 2020
I had a 6x SS on a 223 AI (20" LOL), but sold the scope off because it was MOA/Mil Dot and I just couldn't make myself like it. SWFA's are hard to come by in Canuk land, so I actually tried to buy it back about a year ago, but he laughed. I used to use Leupold 6x42's and had a dozen or so. They suited me well for a couple of decades and back in the day it was good to hear confirmation that they worked well in Alaska also. I wasn't quite as quick on the purge as you boys, but I'm down to just one left now, sportin the M1 turret mod. It's life on one of my rifles is probably drawing to a close soon as well. The acquisition of a 6x MQ is as good a bye bye date as any I guess.
Once I started playing with turrets, I purged the M8's and bought a herd of Bushnell Elite 10x's at end of life blowout prices (think nearly freeeee). They have been leaving the building at roughly the same pace as my rate of success in acquiring previously loved SWFA's. I swore off variables in the 1980's but technology has advanced enough now that I have begun to consider trying one again for a multi-purpose rifle. More interested in the Bushnells and especially the Athlons (seem to be the best value) than the SWFA's, but I'm listening....

Last edited:

Wiserfool

Sep 6, 2020
The Helos BTR 2-12x42 looks very nice and I agree, the price is right. I like the fact people here have tried them and like them. When I first came across Athlons on the various YouTube gear evaluation sites, I decided the Midas TAC 4-16x44 was the one I needed. It has the stainless guts similar to the higher end Athlons. Anybody play with one of those and have any feedback? The only guy I've talked to that had tried a Midas said they're nice but the FOV was to narrow. The best would be picking up one of each and deciding for myself, but I don't quite have the coin right now to go that route.

Last edited:

xbetinfrele

Nov 27, 2021
  • Deleted by cwh
Show…

RichardNow

Dec 3, 2021
  • Deleted by cwh
Show…

NathanVof

Jun 2, 2023
  • Deleted by cwh