data-csrf="1711664836,5570bf92ddbe4740640f0e63fdf6f98d" Talk Me Into A 17 Remington............. | As Real As It Gets

Talk Me Into A 17 Remington.............

Big Stick

Nov 18, 2007
Paradise
S/S 700,Liljee 9" RPM S/S MR contour at 20" and a coupla thousand 25gr V-Max,with Redding dies.

Fucking coupla hunnert Nosler brass to boot.

Top it!

Laughing....................

dakotagun

Jan 25, 2017
Shitsville
I had one for a while. Long enough to kill some coyotes and a fox. It was fun to watch action through the scope, and it shot crazy good with 25 grain hp's and 4320. Lever would be fun to try in one, and obviously meter better than what I used.

Though it was never going to get regular use for me, I wish I hadn't sold it.

Big Stick

Nov 18, 2007
Paradise
I figure '335 will make 3800fps+ with a 25 'Max,which is Supersonic to almost 800yds.(grin)

Could get away with a "traditional" 5 mil reticle there...but won't...............

Al Nyhus

Dec 30, 2008
Now here's a coincidence!

Had a gaggle of big .17's through the years when I was hunting fox hard. I've had the itch for another and as luck would have it, there's a 17-223 on an XP100 action headed my way this week. Still have four 200 ct. boxes of Berger Match .25's that were my go to bullets for fox, some VMaxes, Hornady's 25 gr. plain bullets and a couple hundred of the original Remingtom 25's...which are actually a copper plated bullet.

Too funny! -Al

Last edited:

Al Nyhus

Dec 30, 2008
I figure '335 will make 3800fps+ with a 25 'Max,which is Supersonic to almost 800yds.(grin)

Could get away with a "traditional" 5 mil reticle there...but won't...............
WW760 and Accurate 2700 both worked great in my 17 Rems....good speed, accuracy and came up on pressure much easier than some others. -Al

Big Stick

Nov 18, 2007
Paradise
Perhaps you were in fact one of the "Offenders" I recall. Actually turning out to be a GREAT handling rifle.

6x MQ made the cut.

"Surprisingly".................(grin)

Reactions: Al Nyhus

Big Stick

Nov 18, 2007
Paradise
Back to Purple Goop Snugger.

Gen 2 Outlanders are purty fucking light,all things considered and a MR contour do not begin to plug the landing. Will likely dab lug,or not.

Handy/Dandy as such things go. Will bush bolt and weld handle,just for the warm/fuzzy.

Will need to Rally The Troops and take a coupla extry scoops outta Predators,given the gravity of this Winter. I reckon,this will get some action...............(grin)

Al Nyhus

Dec 30, 2008
Perhaps you were in fact one of the "Offenders" I recall. Actually turning out to be a GREAT handling rifle.
Likely! I had .17 barrels from Shilen, Douglas, Lilja and Pac Nor. All were good ones but the Liljas (both 9 and 10 twists) were exceptional, followed by the Pac Nor.

If you need anything .17 related, let me know as I'd like to repay the 25-06 Christmas kindness. ;) -Al

minengr

Dec 7, 2010
Harrisburg, IL
I love mine. One is built on a mini-mauser the other is the one and only upper WOA has built in 17 Rem.

For some reason, I'm thinking I need a 17 Hornet.

Big Stick

Nov 18, 2007
Paradise
What spout on the Krunchenticker? I assume LW?

A coupla pards drive 17 Hornets and another in KHorn,with much love. My trouble is,I don't have Lady Fingers.(grin)

Trouble is,them thangs that make the most velocity,lose same the fastest. Assuming a 25gr V-Max at 4000fps,it loses the first 1000fps at the 200yd line,if only for perspective..................

minengr

Dec 7, 2010
Harrisburg, IL
Nope, pretty sure it is a pac-nor because I wanted the same thing that was on my bolt gun. I'd have to dig up paperwork to be 100%, but I know it isn't LW.

About a year after I made the purchase I attended a "new shooter clinic". A state org paired up experienced service rifle shooters with boneheads like me that had delusions of shooting at Camp Perry. It was a humbling day, but I did get to meet the guy that built it. At that time he said it was the only 17 Rem he'd ever built and didn't seem too excited about doing it again. If he had issues with it, they got worked out because that thing is a tack driver.

Luckily I stocked up on a fair amount of brass awhile back. It seems near impossible to find and stupid expensive when you do. Broke down a bought some forming dies to roll my own if I get in a pinch.

Big Stick

Nov 18, 2007
Paradise
I figured LW,mainly because they are good and lotsa OEM's roll that way. Pards have PN's in multiple 17's and 20's,with me picking up the slack from 224 to 375.(grin)

I'll shoot it until I hate it,then it'll be a right proper High RPM 223 1-7".(grin)

Kinda cool,that you have the one and only.............

Big Stick

Nov 18, 2007
Paradise
Should add,the first Custom 17 Rem I ever saw/shot,wore a PN Rem Sporter spout in a McMillan Classic. Pard always called it his "BB Gun",due bore size. For all I know,he's the only asshole on The Planet to kill a Mountain Goat with a BB-Gun.................(grin)

Reactions: CaptArab

minengr

Dec 7, 2010
Harrisburg, IL
Several years back there was a "coyote gods" forum. Those guys were fans of all things 17. A number of them were running LW's. Usually on baby Sako's but a few had Krunchenticker's. I have baby sako that might become a mkIV/Fireball some day.

Big Stick

Nov 18, 2007
Paradise
I've come sooooooooo fucking close to buying a A1 Repeater in PPC,so many times. Someone in Kalifornia keeps motherfucking same,while chanting "Mini!","Mini!"....which I savvy the appeal of too.(grin)

Just locked in a Vudoo Hummer and it's of course another LW. I don't think the weather is gonna let it get here,before it's time to peel,but AG Composites is a coupla weeks out for the handle anyhow(Altitude).

First World "problems" all..............(grin)

Big Stick

Nov 18, 2007
Paradise
10rd Hummer mags are outta stock but close and I'll be good on Biilet 5's.

Shoulda added,MPA is doing the inletting and they too are good folks................

Al Nyhus

Dec 30, 2008
My '.17-223' arrived. It came with no history, dies, brass or barrel markings.

A Cerrosafe session revealed what the chamber actually is...a .036 short .17 Remington. Which made me pretty happy!

Not a bad way to do a big .17 as it knocks the excess capacity back a smidge while still keeping the .17 Rem. longer neck and head spacing on a standard 223 head space gauge. I'll shorten a shell holder or a f.l. die to push the shoulders back, trim to length and go from there. There's a Wilson 17 Rem seater die here and a gaggle of f.l. dies that I can massage for sizing.

The action is a '63 vintage XP100 and is in nice shape...no Bubba stuff. The neck is .205 and it's twisted 1:10 so my stash of Berger 25's should fill the bill nicely.

Need to find a stock to whittle for the XP action next.

Good shootin' -Al

Last edited:

Lineman

Dec 31, 2010
VA
Should have the Ackley Hornet up and running soon. First time with a .17.

Little slower than what yall are running, but should be fun.

minengr

Dec 7, 2010
Harrisburg, IL
Is this what you're wanting the 17 Rem brass for Al? I've probably got a little I can spare, but I won't be back home for a couple days. I really need to get off my backside and make my own with the forming dies I bought awhile back. Sometime in the past I acquired a couple boxes of virgin 222 mag brass that should work and are otherwise useless to me.

Al Nyhus

Dec 30, 2008
Cases f-formed perfectly. With the cases lightly oiled, a good amount of 'too fast' powder, a hard jam-seat to the rifling, .006 neck tension and a .003 'crush' fit in the chamber, the necks actually lengthened .015-.018 after firing as the shoulder blew forward.

Formed 45 more, ran them over a .169 mandrel, annealed and cleaned 'em. Ready to size and shoot after I modify a shortened .17 Rem die to take a bushing.

Rastus

Jan 22, 2014
State Of Confusion
I really like that torch attachment, going to make one on the weekend
Not really sure why the need for serious neck tension and jam, didn’t you have to shorten the cases in a die?
Not being critical, just curious
I am interested in the final dimensions of the fire formed cases
I used to shoot foxes semi professionally back in the day and the Remington bullets were the only ones that would consistently stay inside foxes with body shots

Al Nyhus

Dec 30, 2008
Not really sure why the need for serious neck tension and jam, didn’t you have to shorten the cases in a die?
The additional neck tension and hard jam for f-forming are both ways to allow the case to 'pressure up' a bit longer before the bullet is released. The slight extra time building pressure before the bullet is released lets the case blow out to conform to the chamber before the pressure drops dramatically.

Combined with a faster powder than normally used in the cartridge, well drawn-back cases....a.k.a. 'annealed' (though that's not technically correct terminology) and lightly oiled cases that are well supported against the bolt face let the shoulder and the area of the shoulder/body junction form forward when firing. The proof of this is that the case necks lengthened after firing, rather than getting shorter, as is the norm.

Depending on the actual situation, I'll at times intentionally push shoulders back .020-.025 via shortened shell holders....in effect increasing 'head space' (again, not the proper technical term) before f-forming.

Good shootin' :) -Al

Last edited:

Al Nyhus

Dec 30, 2008
I really like that torch attachment, going to make one on the weekend.
It's deceptively simple and effective. There's a lot more to it for good draw-back (annealing) than apparent in the pic, though. If you get it done, I'd be happy to walk you through the particulars to guarantee good results no matter what the case size.

I used to shoot foxes semi professionally back in the day and the Remington bullets were the only ones that would consistently stay inside foxes with body shots
Prior to changing to the Berger 25 gr. 'Match' bullet, the Remington factory 25's did the best job on fox for me, as well. Interestingly, the Remington bullets aren't a jacketed bullet but rather a copper plated bullet. This is one of the reasons that early .17 Remingtons had such a reputation for barrel fouling.

Berger has since discontinued their 25 gr. 'Match'' bullet and only offers the 25 gr. in a 'Varmint' version with a bigger hollow point...which proved way to destructive on fox pelts. The Berger 30's are still available as a 'Match' or 'Varmint' configuration.

For what it's worth..... -Al

Reactions: Rastus

Dude270

Dec 23, 2014
Al,

I'd be interested to hear the cliff notes on your annealing process. I like that torch head too

Thanks

Al Nyhus

Dec 30, 2008
Al, I'd be interested to hear the cliff notes on your annealing process. I like that torch head too
Thanks
Here's another look at it. I use it all the time, especially when I'm f-forming cases that have been made from something else.

This is a case called the 6MM Jet...basically a shortened 243 Ackley off the 307W ( rimmed 308W) case for a B78 Browning i have. On the left is a 307W case, center is the f-formed 6MM Jet and rt. is a 243 Winckester Ackley.

Reactions: dakotagun

Al Nyhus

Dec 30, 2008
Very cool, Al
Well...we'll see. ;)

I've got a couple stocks headed this way and as soon as I get it fitted and bedded properly into one, we'll see what the barrel has to offer. The early .17 barrels tended to either be great shooters or great tomato stakes. o_O -Al

Big Stick

Nov 18, 2007
Paradise
Sounds like Ark Weather at home,but working on -70 windchill here,calling for a -52 ambient.

I should be able to finally get around and then Cast & Blast,with the 17 Rem high on the menu. New Vudoo Hummer just "might" take priority though................(grin)

Last edited:

CaptArab

Jul 9, 2021
So what's the cliff notes?
You boys got the 17s sorted out yet?

Currently have a heavy 17hmr.

Would like something quick to shoulder lighter- T1Xs are just a click away and make logistic sense, but A bit more ass would be a welcome commodity.

use case is 0-300 yard Vermin up to groundhog - lower the ricochet risk the better as I've got neighbor.

20 practical looks easy as it gets but the 17s look like more fun.

17 wsm would be fun but I can't seem to find it online so a centerfire might be a better fit.

Lineman

Dec 31, 2010
VA
I’m enjoying my .17 Ackley Hornet.

3810 with 20 Vmax and 3600 with 23 gr Tanner. Not pushing hard enough to be rough on brass.

Planning on a .20 Vartarg soon too. Just need to find the donor.

.17 Squirrel can be fun too. 3400 fps with 7.4 gr powder, 20 Vmax.

I love the small stuff. .223 gets the nod when things are “serious” though lol!

CaptArab

Jul 9, 2021
I’m enjoying my .17 Ackley Hornet.

3810 with 20 Vmax and 3600 with 23 gr Tanner. Not pushing hard enough to be rough on brass.

Planning on a .20 Vartarg soon too. Just need to find the donor.

.17 Squirrel can be fun too. 3400 fps with 7.4 gr powder, 20 Vmax.

I love the small stuff. .223 gets the nod when things are “serious” though lol!
Those all sound real fun but the brass situation seems rough. Tried to help a buddy run down some 22 hornet brass a while back and it was hard to source.

Big Stick

Nov 18, 2007
Paradise
I never could take a Centerfire 17 or 20 seriously...and still can't.(grin)

That being said,I LOVE the 17 HMR and better yet,17 Whizzum.

A High RPM 223 or 223AI,simply connects wayyyyyyyyy more dots in Centerfire.

The Teeker Rimfire Bane,remains the lack of S/S bores. Weighing that and the superiority of Ruger Rotary Rimfire mags,the S/A RAR's in a Boyd's,simply checks alotta boxes.................

Lineman

Dec 31, 2010
VA
.17s and .20s have their place around here, at least for me. Fun to Varmint and predator hunt with, very economical. Fun factor is pretty damn high too, in my opinion.

They definitely won’t beat the .22s and 6mms at anything, but I still have fun with them. Of course I prefer mine with a CZ action too!

Reactions: CaptArab

Big Stick

Nov 18, 2007
Paradise
I'd rather shoot a Vudoo,than said Centerfires.

If I'm bypassing 223/223AI logistics in Centerfire,mike mine a 22 PPC AFI and 7" RPM. That whether Howie Carbon Queen,700 or Krunchenticker................