data-csrf="1713981221,ee383f4c4d3e29bf4a9e8e8562b1acbe" The Evolution Of Scopetitude.......... | As Real As It Gets

The Evolution Of Scopetitude..........

Big Stick

Nov 18, 2007
Paradise
"Japanese" was once a Dirty Word in Optics,but now the barometer. Reupold has been Un-USA for many moons,yet perpetuates the Myth. Teutonic Glass remains "quaint" and there's LOTSA new players sourcing hither and yon.

That being said...who Arken's?

Gen2 FF Mil 4-16x,being the tip of the curiosity spear..........

Cuando

Oct 23, 2014
Hate the Chiners but dangit if I aint wondering.

Pass the Mk5 and hold the Burns.... Big LOL

Chesapeake

Aug 24, 2010
SW Washington
Haven’t tried an Arken. It does seem the market is shifting but to me the lower priced options lack in the field of focus, eye box, field of view areas. They just aren’t comparable to some of the top end stuff.
But they are often the only good option if you want Mil and FFP.

I think the next scope I try will be a March D25V42TIML. Have a pard that’s pretty fond of his.

Big Stick

Nov 18, 2007
Paradise
Mechanics matter most,on wares that steer bullets and it's interesting how very few weigh same.....................

Chesapeake

Aug 24, 2010
SW Washington
Having owned Leupold well past the point of it being the “gold standard” I get what your dealing. But going from my Nightforce NSX compact 2.5-10 to one of these sub $1k scopes is a big step down in optics. You do lose out on FFP mechanics.
The March scope of interest reticals (verb) at 10x. That should work for my use so long as I remember to set it and math in the moment.
Kind of a step back toward “Tactical triangles”, I know.
F1 is good mechanics for me. Scope companies just don’t seem to build for me though.

Big Stick

Nov 18, 2007
Paradise
The fact that NSX NightFarce oculars whirl as you zoom,is fucking HILARIOUS! We get a thing called "weather" here and I weigh my caps being oriented correctly. To NightFarce's credit however,they are figuring out reticles(finally).

The Athlon BTR Gen2 2-12's are an absolute Giant KILLER,if only for starters..............

Chesapeake

Aug 24, 2010
SW Washington
I have the Athlon. It’s ok. Haven’t had issue with mechanics, optics are decent, illumination is so-so.
Like it much better than the Super Snipers. Would put it somewhere just south of my SHV 4.5-14 F1. Pretty comparable, and shorter.

Big Stick

Nov 18, 2007
Paradise
As mechanics go,the BTR 2-12x has locking turrets and 10 more Mil's on the erector,than a SHV and is 6 ounces lighter.

NightFarce tries though...............

Big Stick

Nov 18, 2007
Paradise
There are LOTS of them in these parts and I've not heard or seen an "issue". I'd say it's reticle is a touch proud for BR pursuits,but is fucking exceptional for killing. The NightFarce SHV can't touch it's mechanics as cited prior,along with 10yd parallax and a reticle that actually does something.

They are on everything.(grin)..................

Reactions: dakotagun

Big Stick

Nov 18, 2007
Paradise
Exceptionally WELL packaged,as the outside shipping box was soaked and a touch tattered. The innards were happy.

The 'shade was nicely protected and I thunk it novel.

The reticle makes more than a bunch of fucking sense and the feature set was obviously designed by folks who shoot,which is where NightFarce often falls shy...............

Big Stick

Nov 18, 2007
Paradise
The 'Horn is gonna like the turrets font size,as compared to a 3-9x.(grin)

What everyone says about the turrets is true,as they are TACTILE and beyond positive. The reticle is simply fucking killer,as it has 12 Mil's of elevation and 7 Mil's of windage,in an ascending scale,less being a cluster fucked shit show. It BEGS to go on a heavy Play Toy and I'll order a few more directly.

Very,very WELL thunked out...............

dznnf7

Apr 30, 2016
I think the good old days of optics are really underway. Fingers crossed for a trend of smaller cross-over scopes for hunting and dialing intersect. The SWFA 1-6 is pretty close, but unobtainium. The Helos 2-12x is OK while we wait.

Big Stick

Nov 18, 2007
Paradise
Very FEW "make" glass and machine technology is better than ever,so innards should follow that path. Sadly,they don't...as mechanics are amongst the last thoughts of most,in regards to Scopes.

The BTR Gen2 2-12x certainly connects dots and Reupold,Nightfarce and others oughtta be VERY fucking embarrassed.................

Calvin

Nov 17, 2007
Visit site
243ai with $150 Athlon. 95lrx with the 105 load. Shoots really well. My little girl is ready to kill a bear this spring. Kinda funny that the $150 scope tracks perfectly.

Big Stick

Nov 18, 2007
Paradise
NOTHING is warmer or fuzzier,than shit that works.

HOPEFULLY,everyone punches all their Spring Bear Tags,if only to help this crop of Fawns,after this shit Winter....................

ridgeline

Mar 22, 2009
australia
Good to hear ! Washboard roads are no joke, scored another 2-12 Helos and took it to the desert to play today, was hot and windy but flies were not to bad, whirled and twirled turrets hither and yonder and the little fucker shined brightly.... Headed to the hill country next weekend chasing pre rut bucks will tote my 1:7" 6x45 with 2-12 Helos ...

ridgeline

Mar 22, 2009
australia
My AO is Sth Aus. We will be in the south east inland from Kingston in the rolling hills and plains, it's all private land no public.... Looking forward to getting back over to the Victorian high country public land when the temps plummet.... I sooooo Fucking hate summer !

Big Stick

Nov 18, 2007
Paradise
A pard had thrown a Krunchenticker in his Knack Box without a case and rallied it for months,halfway "losing" it and then discovered same. Pretty much all gravel and he drives faster than me.

6x MQ never bobbled and the "distressed" look was pretty fucking funny!

I savvy the allure of the 2-12's and think rather highly of same................

CaptArab

Jul 9, 2021
Reactions: nimrod1949

Big Stick

Nov 18, 2007
Paradise
I see a couple Athlon 2-12's and Barkin' ARKEN 4-16's,as I gawk stacked Mail.

Might bolt some shit up tonight................

CaptArab

Jul 9, 2021
Arken 4-16 came in today.

Was planning on mounting it on a heavy volquartsen 17 but it might end up taking the place of an OG 5 mil turret bushy 3.5-21 on my heavy BR Tikka.

The reticle is one of the best I've seen as far as being usable top to bottom.

I've also got pretty heavy astigmatism which makes distinguishing windage mils hard, but these are easy peasy.

If it holds up and can take a lick without losing zero it might send a few scopes down the road.

CaptArab

Jul 9, 2021
Picked up the 1-4 Calvin's sporting.

$160 shipped from camera land.
Going on a beater rifle that I'm not mean enough to give away (savage).

Anxious to see how she compares to the illuminati

CaptArab

Jul 9, 2021
Just got it buttoned up.

Tikka Tac A1 in a MDT XRS, 20" 22BR, mdt mags.

Not really sure it's fit to call it a tac a1 without the mags or chassis or barrel but the 2 stage is a keeper.

Hope to get it zerod in the next couple days.

Hondo64d

Feb 19, 2015
The Big Country
I had a Criterion 8” twist 22-250 barrel for a while. It liked 75gr Amaxes. I think that rig was easier to get hits with than any other I have tried. Contemplating a 22GT barrel next.

John

Big Stick

Nov 18, 2007
Paradise
I've never had any 22-250 Love,always MUCH preferring the Improved version,on a .473" boltface.

Day in/day out,I want a 223/223AI and 7" RPM. From there,I'd just as soon go 224 Speedmire,though I shoot a buncha' shit in the middle.

The 22PPC AFI however,is just simply fucking sensational..............

Hondo64d

Feb 19, 2015
The Big Country
I halfway expect/hope they’ll make the 22 Creed a factory round, but still waiting. If they did that, I’d definitely go that way over the GT.

John