data-csrf="1711712532,7401201ff1992dadf94ecaaa2f7feea8" The phone call | As Real As It Gets

The phone call

Al Nyhus

Dec 30, 2008
Got the call I've been waiting for since mid November.

"Hey, Al.....this is Ryan at Kelbly's. Your new Atlas will ship today." (y)

Reactions: bgold

wolfman

Mar 25, 2009
NB, Canuckistan
I've been intrigued by the Atlas. I've been running a Panda F/Tr gun for a while, and it's been a rock star. I've always figured the Atlas should be a solid choice for PRS/tac/fun gun, but I haven't heard about many out in the wild, and I've wondered why. Will be interested to hear your report Al.

Last edited:

Big Stick

Nov 18, 2007
Paradise
Got the call I've been waiting for since mid November.

"Hey, Al.....this is Ryan at Kelbly's. Your new Atlas will ship today." (y)

Be curious to see the completed build.

I had the 6PPC bug yesterday(no-turn High RPM Play Toy),but couldn't find brass. I'm camping on a few "extra" actions too.

Should probably do an itty-bitty 22 PPC Fucking Improved...……………………...

Al Nyhus

Dec 30, 2008
I ordered this Atlas with the .173 spacer that allows the use of the Panda 1.115 tenon length barrels with the supplied .250 recoil lug. That opens up a big World of options as the Panda/Kodiak tenon barrels can be done w/o having the action in hand. I've got three barrels ready for this one now (22BR, 6BR and a .100 short 6BR) and a .20 cal Kreiger on the way for a 20BR. Plus the bolt face on this Atlas will pull 308 and PPC so there's that whole realm.

As soon as I get the action in hand, I'll get to the stock work and whittle up some of my recessed pillars. The trigger mortise is really huge in this stock and gets right up to the .250 pilot hole for the tang screw. I could either float the tang and use just the front and center screws for bedding or do a little stuffer block of aluminum at the back of the trigger mortise and fit a conventional pillar in there. Will have to see how much room there is with the trigger on the action and go from there.

Reactions: Minute of elk

Al Nyhus

Dec 30, 2008
I've been intrigued by the Atlas. I've been running a Panda F/Tr gun for a while, and it's been a rock star. I've always figured the Atlas should be a solid choice for PRS/tac/fun gun, but I haven't hard about many out in the wild, and I've wondered why. Will be interested to hear your report Al.
I've been a dedicated Kelbly's guy for a long time. My Pandas and Kodiaks always did the job and Kelbly's has the ignition down pat, unlike some other custom action makers. They do have a bit of cock-on-close, which can be tweaked some trigger hanger work if desired. We'll see how this Atlas sets up with this Shilen Competition trigger.

Of all the custom actions I've had, the only one that came anywhere close to the Panda/Kodiaks was the Bruno action that was made for them by McMillan/McBros. It was incredible! They were discontinued after a short while as the labor involved to make them to Bruno's standards became cost prohibitive.

Good shootin'. :) -Al

Al Nyhus

Dec 30, 2008
Started with this pile of parts. Kelbly Atlas R/R single shot coned bolt, Kreiger .224 barrel twisted 1:12 chambered in 22BR by 'Humble' Henry Rivers, Kelbly Varminter stock, Shilen 2-6 oz trigger, Talley LW rings:

The waiting is the hardest part (my apologies to Tom Petty) ;)

Driftin'

Nov 16, 2009
Offshore
Most would likely agree with Mr. Petty.

Don't know what you're using for your bedding compound but have found that one doesn't have to mask the stock for spooge-out with Acraglass. A few Q-Tips lighlty spritzed with WD-40 and slowly/lightly swizzled along the exposed stock/action lines removes the excess and leaves a perfect joint. Bedding bolts keep the surfaces free of interference for clean-up with the Q-Tips. YMMV....

Al Nyhus

Dec 30, 2008
Bedding came out pretty well. For pillars, I did something different this time. They are .625 o.d., then did a .562 counter bore followed by a .500 o.d., piloted 82 degree reamer and used a stainless 82 degree Allen head cap screw for increased contact area. Lapped them lightly after....they come up to 'tight' instantly. :)

Will get it on the mill today and finish the trigger area cleanup and do the final cuts for the trigger guard and trigger mortise opening. Not the greatest pics...just grabbed some with the phone as I was packing stuff up this morning.