data-csrf="1713966328,4df13744884f015b900529ed6c80d07d" Things that make you go hmmmmmmm...... | As Real As It Gets

Things that make you go hmmmmmmm......

Al Nyhus

Dec 30, 2008
The project the other day was to fit this full length rail for Kelbly/Davidson style rings to this sleeved 722. Now, it should have been as straight forward as plunging four holes down over the existing base screw holes in the sleeve, adding a counter bore to those holes, whipping up some epoxy, bolt/epoxy the whole lash up together and relax with an adult beverage or a cup of coffee, depending on the time of day.

Well.....things just weren't making sense and sparing all the gorey details, the issue boiled down to that the two existing inboard base holes were not in line with either the existing outboard front or rear base screw holes.

My work around for this was to position the base screw holes correctly over the holes in the sleeve, then offset the counter bored holes by the amount the base screw holes were off so they are visually correct down the long axis of the rail.

Like Ralphie in 'A Christmas Story' helping his Dad change the tire blurting out "Oh, f-u-d-g-e! " :oops:

Al Nyhus

Dec 30, 2008
'Stick...hope you got the boxes open w/o any grievous injury. :D

This is the complete gun. It's a vintage BR rig that I rehabbed.....converted it from a glue-in to a pillar bedded bolt in, added an external bolt release, reshaped the rear tang area on the stock and about a dozen other little tweaks. The stock was going to get wrapped but the more I prepped it the more I came to like the 'Rat Rod' look. The owner agreed and I polished the butt plate a bit and hit the stock with a matte clear used by the R.C. airplane guys that's very chemical resistant. With the modern scopes of today like this Leupold 36 with a Tucker locking conversion, the bases ended up getting spaced a bit further apart for the scopes that were used in the '70-'80s so the full length 3/8" dovetail rail made sense to do.

A bit of Old School panache'...this was with some round bottomed Davidson bases I milled flat for it initially. I can hang a pic of it with the full length rail if there's any interest.

Last edited:

Big Stick

Nov 18, 2007
Paradise
I opened the Thread and thought "I LIKE that stock's appearance". Makes me think I need to start whittling on a LV handle and AICS DBM it,because I've never seen one done that way before.

The Mail is a process.(grin)

First World "problems"..............(grin)

Last edited:

Al Nyhus

Dec 30, 2008
Always good to do our part for the economy, buddy! ;)

These two are the next rehab victims. The XP100 'short' .17 Rem. is going to go into the red one so I can determine the barrels worthiness. I'll finish my measurements this weekend and get it on the mill Monday. It's a 3" fore end and I might narrow it up to 2 1/4" but the cut is going to end up back quite a ways due to the lack of side taper on the stock. You can't see it in the pic, but it had a sleeved XP action in it and the side cut for the XP handle is already there....almost like it was meant to be. These early BR 'glass stocks are just a 'glass shell with a foam fill so you lose the integrity pretty quickly if you cut much away . Regardless, the finish will be 'Rat Rod'....there's blue and grey under the red. More hmmmmm-ing to do!

Big Stick

Nov 18, 2007
Paradise
I keep contemplating a Mill ,Lathe,etc and likely will some day.

Not enough hours in the day,the way it is now!............(grin)