data-csrf="1711719561,7732c2022b15964576c8d59aee454403" This is kinda cool... | As Real As It Gets

This is kinda cool...

hangunnr

Administrator
Dec 12, 2007
Flatlandia
Don’t know how many of you frequent the Hide so you may have seen this.

A member over there had a contact over in Sweden who had a quantity of Swedish forged axes and heads. He imported somewhere in the neighborhood of 50 pieces and I was fortunate to snag this one. He acquired 5 or 6 of these and they went quick.

It’s a genuine Gransfors Bruks made for the South American market. They were made in the late 50s to early 60s from what I’ve been able to find. It’s a full 4-1/4#. I want to put it in service but am having a hard time finding a pre made handle to fit it as the eye hole is quite large at 2-9/16” x 1-1/8”.

If anyone knows of someone who could put a proper handle on this I would appreciate a contact number.

Big Stick

Nov 18, 2007
Paradise
Hard not to love a GB. I remember in the mid-80's,guys I worked with giving me shit for spending $100+ on a "fucking axe". Those fucking axes made me a lot of many and sold alotta GB's to dissenters. (grin)

Can't know about handles in this day & age,as I was privvy to WELL stocked Saw Shops in their Glory Days and none of my GB's wear an eye of that size. A 5# GB with square(straight) poll(basically a beefed up American Felling Axe) and 32" straight Rafting handle,driving 12" K&H's would tip over the fucking World,if needed.

Nice score,for sure.................

hangunnr

Administrator
Dec 12, 2007
Flatlandia
To be truthful I don’t really know what the proper handle style should be. I’ll reach out to the link and see what they recommend.

Big Stick

Nov 18, 2007
Paradise
Handle style,is simply a function of the application.

Liken it akin to a rifle stock. I'd personally not be in a hurry to be painted into a corner,so it's Rafting for more,akin to a Remington Classic pattern...............