data-csrf="1713588393,f8fa7d5fb83add3f6f51cffabea90973" Thoughts on SWFA SS 1-6x24? | As Real As It Gets

Thoughts on SWFA SS 1-6x24?

tnv

Dec 25, 2007
TN
Who's tried this on an AR platform and how do you like it:

http://swfa.com/SWFA-SS-HD-1-6x24-Tactical-30mm-Riflescope-P53845.aspx

It looks like a lot of features for the dough.

athhud

Oct 21, 2008
AL
Once upon a time I began negotiating a deal on trading a SWFA 1-4 for the 1-6. Before the deal was finalized I decided that the 1-4 reticle was worth more to me than the extry X's. I just don't understand why they had to fuck with perfection.

tnv

Dec 25, 2007
TN
athhud said:
Once upon a time I began negotiating a deal on trading a SWFA 1-4 for the 1-6. Before the deal was finalized I decided that the 1-4 reticle was worth more to me than the extry X's. I just don't understand why they had to fuck with perfection.
What did you not like about the 1-6 reticle?

athhud

Oct 21, 2008
AL
It isn't so much that I don't like the 1-6 reticle, but that I really like the 1-4 reticle. On 1x the 1-4 is essentially an eotech reticle. It works very well for quick acquisition. On 4x it is a regular mil-hash crosshair like most other scopes. They really did a great job of taking advantage of the FFP characteristics. You get the best of both worlds.

The 6x is jut a mil-hash crosshair. There is zero advantage of it being FFP. It's not like anyone will use the reticle for holds or ranging, at any power other than 6x. At 1x it just doesn't do a very good job of providing quick acquisition. If they were going to insist on neutering it with a shitty reticle, they could have cut cost and just built it as SFP and it wouldn't have been any less useful.

Armed Ferret

Dec 18, 2007
Maryland, wishing it was TX
vortex has a 1-6 announced, should be available in a couple months. MSRP less than half the SWFA's street price (.mil discount takes it to just over 1/4 same). capped resettable turrets, illuminated reticle, true 1x.

not FFP, but frankly I've never had a need for FFP. some guys it matters to more than others.

waiting for the strike eagle for my blackout.

athhud

Oct 21, 2008
AL
On higher magnification optics, I don't want anything that isn't FFP. If I'm using the reticle on a low-mag optic I'm almost always using the highest magnification, so FFP/SFP doesn't matter as far as sub tension is concerned. I wouldn't mind SFP on most 1-4/6's, but the SWFA 1-4 FFP donut has spoiled me. If it is a shit reticle, bring on the SFP.... But a well thought out reticle that takes advantage of the reticle size change, of FFP, is the golden ticket.

athhud

Oct 21, 2008
AL
The one I was looking at last year didn't. They have been known to pull a switcheroo though. Perhaps I need to check again. Hell, maybe I was just confused...

Edit: According to the last picture on their site it does indeed have the donut. It looks a little bigger than I would like, but now I just being picky :p I wouldn't hesitate to jump on one. In fact, I will.

Eagle1899

Dec 9, 2007
not where I would like
I have one. I like it a lot but its not perfect. Big, heavy and the zoom ring is as stiff now as it was new. It is clear, crisp and pretty fast on 1X. 6X is plenty for how I use it. Got it mounted on a 11.5" SBR and its a bit much.

I'll post some pics tomorrow.

tnv

Dec 25, 2007
TN
Thanks for the pics. Looking at mounting it on a 16" carbine. Really looking for something that has fast acquisition for predators coming in close and needing something for further out. I'm thinking this would work great for coyotes and foxes.

athhud

Oct 21, 2008
AL
6xFF has certainly filled that role well for me. I'd guess that the Fixed Fucker would allow shots much further into dusk than the 1-6. My 1-4 doesn't take on low light very well at all..... Obviously I need to get my hands on a 1-6 to give it a fair assessment.

myname

Feb 21, 2009
WI
Was thinking about one of these & read reports of distortion on 1x.

Anyone had problems with that?