data-csrf="1711675428,485693ea1ec6ed0ef0548e252ebd9b2a" thoughts on the matthews z7 | As Real As It Gets

thoughts on the matthews z7

Driftin'

Nov 16, 2009
Offshore
Been shooting a Legacy since they came out. Don't want to fling arrows with the newer ones. Might could end up in your situation.... *grin*

Painless

Administrator
wife said since I have a birthday coming up that if I talk to her purty she would get me one and I am a purty talking mutherfucker. That fucking bow is amazing, I have shot bowtechs, hoyt's (shot the maxxis 31 today as well), the reezins 6.5 and 7.o, the DXT and none of them come close to the smoothness of the Z7. I haven't been much on bowhunting in a long time but this bow has me excited again.........Blake

HuntKY

Feb 12, 2010
TX/WYO/TN
Blake, I haven't shot that particular Matthews but they make a pretty damn good bow all around. You're close enough to KY, which is such a bow friendly state and has some dandy bucks, that should be enough to warrant the purchase.

I got on a Hoyt kick a few yrs ago and have been shooting one ever since.

A Matthews is a Hell of a gift.

Ochoco

Nov 18, 2007
CO
I bought one a couple of months ago and it is as you say, the best bow I've ever shot.

Each day at the range has me more and more impressed. Hands down the smoothest and most forgiving bow I've ever shot.

Painless

Administrator
Not yet wife wants to get it for my birthday which is next month so will have to wait a little longer. I am tempted to just go buy it but that would piss her off pretty good seeing as she has already said she wants to buy it for me. I have already ordered new sights and a new rest. Now I am looking for a new release, any suggestions?

cwh

Administrator
Nov 18, 2007
Anchorage
I'm still rocking the same fletch hunter that I bought in like 1992, so I'm definitely the wrong guy to ask...

But let us know how the Z7 works out.

cwh

Administrator
Nov 18, 2007
Anchorage
I've still got my first bow, which is a conglomeration of PSE parts, very few of which were upgraded over time.

It was put together by the only archery shop around, and is kind of reminiscent of the Johnny Cash song "One piece at a time".

I know if I were shooting it like I was back then, it'd still shoot great, but I made the mistake of shooting something newer, and now the old girl just sits there.

Painless

Administrator
I think I shot with one similar to that the other day, I have been using a tru ball for several years and it has never let me down, it just feels a little short on my wrist if that makes any sense. Have you ever tried any of the Scott release's?

On another note, I think I might hold off on buying this bow. I think I will wait for someone to come out with a 6000.00 dollar bow with a aluminum bedding block so that I can take those sixty yards shots with confindence......grin

hangunnr

Administrator
Dec 12, 2007
Flatlandia
I've not shot any of the Scott releases. None of the dealers around here stock them.

Most bows have an aluminum riser so we're already way ahead of the curve.

hangunnr

Painless

Administrator
yeah but if I get one with an aluminum bedding block attached to it somewhere it will counter act the coreallis effects on my sigths which will twist my string enough to reverse the oscillations so that I won't even need fletchings on my arrows. Come on man get with the program........Blake

Dan In Alaska

Nov 30, 2007
Anchorage
hangunnr said:
I'd suggest the Short-N-Sweet buckle strap by TruBall.
I use a Short-N-Sweet, as well, but I have the velcro strap version.

I like the hook-style releases. I can easily grab the string loop with the release without having to look at it.

hangunnr

Administrator
Dec 12, 2007
Flatlandia
I'm sorry I forgot all about the cornholio effect. I'm thinking I may have to start fletching my arrows with one straight, one right helical and one left helical just to make sure I'm covered should a sudden lunar eclipse occur while hunting.

If I had a alum. bedding block handy I'd attach it to my bow and then post a picture in the appropriate place.

hangunnr

Witt

Dec 30, 2009
NE
Tru-ball's a good place to be. A shorter release helps apply shoulder-actuation of the trigger more easily, though I'd balance thoughts of more difficult loop-connection at the same time...

I'd recommend pillar bedding the limbs' bolt holes and all accessories. Also, glass bed your cable guard if you want half the drop and wind drift, assuming equatorial positioning, a full moon, and sea-level. Extrapolate actual values for your particular barometric pressure and other details (obviously). I highly recommend handgunnrs advice for the 3-whoppem fletch-zinger approach. I used to actually worry about lunar eclipses, but not anymore.

firedog

Nov 21, 2007
SW Washington
Painless said:
I am looking for a new release, any suggestions?
Really like my Scott Itty Bitty goose but shot my buddy's Spot Hogg Wiseguy in elk camp last week and that thing is awesome. Will be buying one soon.

That mathews sounds like a dam nice bow, I am leaning towards one of the bow From lite fo rmy next one. Heard a bunch of good stuff about them. Can't complain about the job my Bowtech Guardian did on my elk this year either though.

heatseekins

Nov 18, 2007
Lewiston, Idaho
Visit site
I picked out a Z7 for dad a couple months ago and will have my Reezen for sale this week. Its a nice bow, but the z7 is freaking unreal..

Releases- Twice i have had my baby goose freeze up and hang fire. Missed a nice buck last year because of it. I have always been able to shoot real well with a carter for 3D shoots and a friend has a sweet teather seatup for hunting so i will be shooting one of those from now on. Carter target 4+

tlfw

Nov 27, 2007
Texas
I was looking into getting a bow...it seemed like an easy sell to me on the Z7. I'm looking forward to putting it to use...

Painless

Administrator
I ended up going with the 2011 Mathews Z7 Magnum, it is a little longer, little faster. More my style. I should have it here in about 2 more weeks (hopefully). I haven't been into stick and string for a while but am hoping this will pull me back into it.......Blake

tlfw

Nov 27, 2007
Texas
being as I'm just getting started...I took the sale price deal on the 2010 model. I was tempted to go Extreme, but I wouldn't know better anyway. I am impressed with this bow however. Smooth and great balance. I may just turn into a bow nutcase....

Painless

Administrator
no flies on the Z7 at all, had Mathews not come out with the magnum that is the one I was going to get. I still may if I don't like the magnum (not likely).

Dan it has been so long since I have bought a new bow I had to have a new one. With all of the new stuff out ie sights, releases and rests bows almost shoot themselves. For anyone looking for a new release the Spot Hogg Wise guy is the shit (thanks Chris). I went with the HHA 5519 I think and I like it as well. Went rip cord on the rest.....Blake

tlfw

Nov 27, 2007
Texas
Blake,

It is sounding more and more like my bow guy has set me up right...He sold me the Spot Hogg Wise guy too. I like the trigger.

standeford

Feb 3, 2009
Tennessee
I shot a pile of bows this summer: couple of Destroyers, Monster, bunch of others I don't remember. Left with a Darton 3800. That thing is a machine.

Spencer SS

Dec 5, 2007
da Bayou state
There's alot of good bows out there. The Z7 is near the top of my list. The only problem is I swore never to shoot another deer with a compound bow. I'm stickin to that oath, but if I ever want to hunt dangerous game I'll have to pick up a multi string. Right now, Bowtech Destroyer 350 with 80lbs limbs looks nice. Order a few things from GrizzlyStik/Alaska Bowhunting and it would be one killin machine.

HuntKY

Feb 12, 2010
TX/WYO/TN
jeezus....those GrizzlyStik broad heads are pricey. They look pretty badass though ans they're beefy The vid of them sticking the hippo w/ the Ashby broadhead is way cool.

HuntKY

Feb 12, 2010
TX/WYO/TN
Painless said:
I ended up going with the 2011 Mathews Z7 Magnum, it is a little longer, little faster. More my style. I should have it here in about 2 more weeks (hopefully). I haven't been into stick and string for a while but am hoping this will pull me back into it.......Blake
Blake, I've been meaning to ask you....Were you looking out at the Archery Den in Williamson Co.? Those guys have put together a pretty damn nice shop.

Painless

Administrator
yes I have talked to those guys, they know their shit, but I found a little shop in KY Hunters Den I think and they are good people so I ordered my bow from them. Still don't have it yet as they said Mathews was several weeks behind on the new bows