data-csrf="1711697740,705d8d327d24a0ea341badb65ec7f2b4" To rebuild or move on . . . | As Real As It Gets

To rebuild or move on . . .

CaptArab

Jul 9, 2021
95 80 series started blowing blue smoke. 300k on the clock. Factory lockers.

Truck is stock and has been my daily in mall hopper tires since 07.

Wife wants to keep it- I took her on our first date in it. I do too just don't have time for another project truck as I'm already trying to complete a highboy 4bt swap.

I think I'd kick myself till I die if I sell it, but 80 series are bringing crazy prices.

If I rebuild it I'm gonna have fun. Probably an ome 2-3" lift and 33s, roof top tent, mini fridge and try and go spend 5-10k on fuel over seeing things.

Anybody sold a cruiser and regretted it?

My other thought is just go buy a new Tacoma and focus on work, rifles, and just anything else on my weekends. Darn it life is short and mon-friday / sat/Sunday is backwards in the land of the free.

cwh

Administrator
Nov 18, 2007
Anchorage
I regret selling mine (96, 'locked), but I like paying for just one rig.

It would be tempting to go LS, depending on what you can get for a transmission these days. It would be nice to be able to keep the AWD, but I could see going to a selectable 4WD too. I guess the simple answer is to just rebuild the 1FZ, which isn't a bad answer, it just isn't overly sexy.

Local guy is running 40's, and they don't look out of place..... 33's are just a stepping stone to 35's. grin.

Reactions: CaptArab

nimrod1949

Mar 1, 2010
n. idaho
Funny timing. I’ve been shopping for an older 90s cruiser the past few months. I miss my old 4Runner and we’ve outgrown my truck.

They quit importing them as of 2021 so the supply is what it is. The prices have been climbing.
If you part with it you’ll have a hard time replacing it. If the wife wants to keep it do! Drive it until it dies and park it for a year until you get back to it.
Or rebuild the motor. Supposedly the motors are overbuilt to have enough meat to be rebuilt 3-4 times.
How is the rest of the vehicle?

CaptArab

Jul 9, 2021
We've been redoing an old 30s farmhouse for the last couple years, so my time for "fun" projects has been tight.

When I get burned out on house Reno stuff (and it can hit ya hard) I feel like dumping all my projects, then I rest and recover and stay the course.

Fortunately the end is in site and I should have time to lay down my circular saw and pick up my wrenches more come spring.

Big rubber is tempting but I think I'll try and stay conservative and make this more a tent camping rig and get a rooftop tent or off-road worthy popup.

The highboy will be running humvee tires (cheap, big, and fit the lug pattern) so that should scratch that itch without totally nuking my interstate mpg on the 80.

If I had the fab and more importantly electrical skills for an LS swap I'd consider it, but that's a whole nutha level compared to a 70s domestic with a single wire engine. I tip my hat to y'all that can do that, but it ain't me baby.

There's a local guy that used to run a landcruiser club- he's rebuilt a dozen of them so I'm thinking I'll either pay him to rebuild the top end or just let it sit in my barn for a year until I can get to it.

My trucks in great shape. Body is clean, no major rust other than a few specs around the factory roof rack. Lockers still actuate properly.

Got some EGR issues but I've had that resistor mod hacked for a decade now.

When I rebuild I'm gonna yank that crap and do a block off plate.

Also gonna use the wits end coolant tubes that delete the rear heater.

Thinking about axing the ABS too cause I can't seem to get it bled right- still cautious here as the wife might drive it on the interstate.

Anyhow, been browsing ih8mud and getting pumped up about spending some cash- I think I've been talked off the ledge 😊

cwh

Administrator
Nov 18, 2007
Anchorage
Mud is a great resource, but a huge time and money sink.

You are refreshing my memory on why I got rid of mine. Exhaust issues, brake issues, coolant and heater hoses with ominous sounding names...

Pretty crazy to be able to get new oem parts for window tracks out of south America for a 30+ year old rig though.

CaptArab

Jul 9, 2021
I know it brother- makes my rifle habit look like pocket change. Some of those guys have their whole world wrapper up in their rig.

I just want to go camping with the fam 2000 miles from home and not sweat getting back.

nimrod1949

Mar 1, 2010
n. idaho
Good deal. I’m glad to hear you are going to keep it.

I think I prefer the 80 series looks but the early 100 series and Lexus lx470 can be had for similar money. My concern with the newer ones is sometimes I chain up to go places I shouldn’t and I’m not sure the AWD would satisfy my needs. Any feedback from y’all?

CaptArab

Jul 9, 2021
Good deal. I’m glad to hear you are going to keep it.

I think I prefer the 80 series looks but the early 100 series and Lexus lx470 can be had for similar money. My concern with the newer ones is sometimes I chain up to go places I shouldn’t and I’m not sure the AWD would satisfy my needs. Any feedback from y’all?
100s are good trucks. My dad had one.

The V8 is the better motor, but you're losing that solid front axle.

I'd decide what tire size you want and and maybe let that dictate what's the better fit. If you're wanting 35s or bigger, the solid front axle 80 is the winner.

If you're cool with 33s and need to tow the V8 might be a good choice.

I'd probably be tempted to go newer 4 runner too if starting over.

CaptArab

Jul 9, 2021
Welp I found a good shop just a couple hours away that only does landcruisers. I'm in line to rebuild the head and all the other while you're in there.

Lucky to have found him as no way I have the time.

Once I get it back it's 2-3" lift, 315s, yada yada yada. A smart man would do 33s, stock springs and move on, but I ain't one so yolo.

Seeing as how all I've spent on it in 10 years is a distributor I figure I can afford it.

cwh

Administrator
Nov 18, 2007
Anchorage
There's an 80 I see a few times a week at work and it is like rubbing salt in the wound. There is a beat up 93 with a blown head gasket on kodiak for $1800. Kind of tempting for a build, but sort of a bitch to get to.

nimrod1949

Mar 1, 2010
n. idaho
I finally found one that would work!

It’s a 94. Fairly rust free underneath. Body is ok some small dents and dings. It’s on its second motor.
The price was right enough that I have room to fix it up and not go overboard on a 28 year old rig. One more money pit.

Crazy 13 hour round trip to get it. I’m thankful for a friend with an adventurous spirit! We got back around 430 in the morning 🤪

Reactions: ridgeline

cwh

Administrator
Nov 18, 2007
Anchorage
Not sure why I find this so funny. I was looking for the sticker I saw the other day that said : "Lexus: it's basically a landcruiser"

il_794xN.1995511986_87pn.jpg

• Haha
Reactions: nimrod1949

CaptArab

Jul 9, 2021
Ha, I just saw this.

Head gasket is actually okay just had a couple coolant leaks. Compression is fine too just burns oil on startup after sitting for a few days.

Doing my homework to man up, pull the head and do the valve grind.

I ended up building from a 4x4 labs kit. I'm not welder but it came out okay. Found an 8274 for a song on craigslist. Just needs a new rope. Yokohama 315s. Project de-soccer-mom is going pretty well.

One day at a time, but it's getting somewhere.

PXL_20230124_193112490-min.jpg

Reactions: nimrod1949

Wiserfool

Sep 6, 2020
A bud has a done up sports car convertible that he has put to much money into, but it snaps nicely when he want's it to. He also has a somewhat done up old bush truck, winch, 35's etc but it's old, loud and basic compared to the BMW. He mentioned one time that he can't figure out why he gets WAYYYY more CFM looks from the ladies when he drives the beater than when he's rollin the convertible. I told the story to my wife and her response was, "Well ya, what does he expect?" You may notice a subtle "difference" once the de-soccer mom conversion is completed. :cool:

nimrod1949

Mar 1, 2010
n. idaho
Looking good Capt!

My project rig is moving slow but it has been fun. We put and ARB bumper on, Smittybilt winch, and white knuckle sliders. A buddy helped me rebuild the whole front axle and swap out the front differential which was whining badly. Need to save up for a lift and new wheels/tires. It needs some more baseline work but it has been fun to get out in the woods

CaptArab

Jul 9, 2021
Looking good Capt!

My project rig is moving slow but it has been fun. We put and ARB bumper on, Smittybilt winch, and white knuckle sliders. A buddy helped me rebuild the whole front axle and swap out the front differential which was whining badly. Need to save up for a lift and new wheels/tires. It needs some more baseline work but it has been fun to get out in the woods
Yours is coming along nicely! I got those same sliders but with the high and tight bend. I'd trade ya- mine are hard to get a foot on and with the new coils, I need a step 😂 oh well it's not too bad.

After driving around a bit on the 315s and 3" setup, I think 33s and less lift woulda been smarter and got me everywhere I needed. But it sure does look cool 😎 priorities, right?

nimrod1949

Mar 1, 2010
n. idaho
Thanks!
It can be frustrating to buy parts and not know if they will be what you want or need.
I appreciate the feedback on the lift and tires. I’m leaning towards a 2-2.5” lift and 34s which is reasonable, will do what I need, and avoid regearing and geometry issues. But bigger does looks cool!