data-csrf="1714358354,a74fa4ba47c9ffd6c83220f4e94e0c38" T'oughts on bins..... | As Real As It Gets

T'oughts on bins.....

VAnimrod

Nov 27, 2007
Next year's gun fund, ain't for guns.... it's glass or bust.

Am tired of peepin' through shit, to try to see, what's trying not to be there.

Leaning toward 8x42ish glass, for all-round use, and higher end easily. Ultravids, easily, if the coinage can be slung..... though Minox might get a look, if the fun fund ain't too happy.

IIRC, Stick is a fan of the Classics, right? What else is running out there for glass?

Uncle Dave

Administrator
Nov 17, 2007
I've heard good things about the minox as well, and wouldn't be scared to have Doug send a pair.

My next move will be ultravid 8x32's, a'la Steelhead and dogzapper, as a compact alternative to my Geovids and my Classics.

Damn, just realized how much $ I'd have locked up in glass.

Oh well..it often hurts spending it, but i've not yet regretted the outlay on good binocs. Never once...

pullit

Nov 18, 2007
have several pairs of cheap crap that I wish I had my money back on. Don't wish that on my good stuff.....

Ochoco

Nov 18, 2007
CO
pullit said:
have several pairs of cheap crap that I wish I had my money back on. Don't wish that on my good stuff.....
I hear ya....

Last fall I dropped about $350.00 on some Leupold Cascades in the 8x42 variety.....They are real nice and worth every penny.

If you don't have the loot to go Geovids, the Cascade is a sweet set. They trumped everything on display at Sportsman's Warehouse, even when getting into the $1500 and $2000 range. Field of view is awesome, as well as the light gathering, to say nothing of how comfortable the eye pieces are.

They're worth a look if you can see yourself clear to spend that much.

VAnimrod

Nov 27, 2007
Might have to drop by Gander and take a gander at the Cascades on the way home from the office.....

I can source Minox: my choice of 8.5x43 or 8.5x52 for $500ish, ANIB.....

Mac84

Nov 20, 2007
I picked up a pair of cascades a few years back for $240. Back in the day when Rick would beat everyone hands down.
I like em but I;m a bino noob.

Big Stick

Nov 18, 2007
Paradise
Binocularization,is actually an unforgiving treatise.

All the slap/tickle shit pales and quickly,in anything resembling a Reality Test ...................

1akhunter

Nov 19, 2007
I'm sure technology has passed my Z classics by, but I've used them too long and too often that they just fit me well.

anything else seems foreign

all things being equal i.e. waterproof, clear lenses I think "fit" is often overlooked in binocs, along with rifles and boots

find something good that fits and it'll take you where you want to be.

the classics were my first real quality binocs, they fit pretty well from the get, but now my hands are molded to their contours.

Big Stick

Nov 18, 2007
Paradise
Whatever the SnakeOil Salesmen are peddling as the latest/greatest monthly "deal",has zero bearing on optical splendor.

Good glass is knowed quantities and Snoopy isn't ever going to give it a run for the money.

The best Hunting advice I could ever give anyone,is to bow up,cut the check and try to wear out some topflight bino's.

That'd be either Leica or Zeiss,as nothing else hangs..............

VAnimrod

Nov 27, 2007
If you was pickin' one set, as the set to get the nod on almost every hunt, what'd it be?

Everytime I think that way, with "damn the torpedoes" re: $$$, the answer keeps coming back Ultravids in the 8x32 or 8x42 persuasion.

Big Stick

Nov 18, 2007
Paradise
I can't set the 10x40 Classic down and pick something else up in it's place.

Were I starting from scratch,I'd go Leica 10x BRF,to meld componetry...but my eyes prefer the Classic view.

A guy can get a fair amount done,when he can see shit and know how far away it is to boot...................

Mac84

Nov 20, 2007
I agree with ya on cutting the duccets the first time around. I is learning.

kgunz11

Dec 2, 2007
Georgia
Visit site
Any thoughts on the Brunton line?

I have a pair of 10x40's that I used for competitive archery and they were really nice until I dropped them on the ocular in the parking lot.

What's their current stuff like?
Thanks!