data-csrf="1711691404,d534bbc2d585a33a251a751839ea71e4" Trans pics | As Real As It Gets

Trans pics

cwh

Administrator
Nov 18, 2007
Anchorage
Can't believe you clicked on this thread. Weirdo. :)
Anyway was sitting here drinking and thinking, and nothing good ever comes from that. So, buckle up, it could be fun.

As I recall, jbm and the like will build you an estimate of what yardage (or kilo pascals for our Canadian friends) a given round will give up the good fight and fail to outrun sound.

Now, it's well established folklore, which I believe myself, that straddling such a transition, to use the parlance of our time, is not good for accuracy. So, a guy who can figure, has got to figure that there's something (bad) going on during this time. As a child of the 80's, where we paid no mind to breaking the barrier, I recall vividly the magnitude that was on display when all those sound waves caught up at once. I have got to think that the pressure wave, catching back up to a bullet plays a role in the whole transonic slip accuracy problem.
I
Whew, so wo are all caught up and there's no dudes wearing skirts. And no offense to my Scottsman friends. Plaid is a whole other thing. Just keep blowing the pipes. Shit, I'm sorry. Toss the pole. Ok, I'm giving up here. Nothing to see in Scotland, moving on.

So, you have a yardage estimate, some of you are fairly handy with a camera.... Any of you ever set up a high speed camera to catch the moment? Maybe this is the sort of thing that Bryan Litz would be really good for. Almost seems certain he'd have done it. Maybe I should Google.

CaptArab

Jul 9, 2021
This one's on the way to me from a fella outside of Vegas for my Cummins swapped highboy project. Guaranteed not to slip as it's an arm-rower.

IMG_20230109_084234.jpg

Oh wait, what are we talking 'bout again?

Chesapeake

Aug 24, 2010
SW Washington
I don’t recall if its Hornady or the military or both, but someone has some type of system used to image bullets in flight. Pretty sure it’s #49 of the Hornady podcast they describe/discus it.

cwh

Administrator
Nov 18, 2007
Anchorage
Dan was trying to get me to listen to their podcasts. Sounds interesting. I can't see what could possibly be difficult about this. I mean, the bullet isn't moving that fast by definition. I guess you'd want to be fairly careful not to shoot your camera, and it would probably take a few tries to get the distance right. And I guess there's the problem of not knowing if you've actually captured the moment.