data-csrf="1713617754,786462fc838c2f964bad96b9b2caa439" Trying To Decide on a Full Size 9mm | As Real As It Gets

Trying To Decide on a Full Size 9mm

Rolltide

rimfiretactical.com
Dec 15, 2007
I've been looking for some time trying to decide on a full size 9mm pistol and thought I'd ask here to see if anybody has experience with any of these.

I've got Glocks and M&Ps, but have been looking at the H&K VP9, and the Walther PPQ or the Sig 320. All feel great in the hand but I haven't been able to shoot any of them. From the reviews I've seen, each has their strong points, but I'm more curious about the real world use instead of a youtube infomercials that a lot of the "reviews" seem to be.

The main use will be a range toy with the occasional IDPA match or possible 3 gun match. My Glock 17 and 34 both work great as does my M&P, I'm just looking to try something new.

Driftin'

Nov 16, 2009
Offshore
Have long lusted after the 2011 Edge in STI's fold. Hard to pony up for something that doesn't exist in my AO. About 5 years ago, a local 'smith was impressed so much that he packed up his family and went to work for STI.

16Bore

Feb 11, 2010
Virgina
It used to cost $2k + a bone stock 1911 to get what STI gives you off the rack. Ran a 2011 Edge 40 s&w in IPSC and all I ever did was stipple the grip. Never had one issue, which is rare running the dog snot out of a 1911.

My previous .38 Super was a different story all together.

Painless

Administrator
Have a neighbor that is retired MA.PD and he is big on pistola's. He has all of the above mentioned (including matching STI's in 40 and 9mm). I have shot them all and the STI's are the tits. Not sure which ones are his favorites but I know he thinks highly of the Sig and H&K. Never had any issues with them when we were shooting at the range. I personally like the H&K over the Sig, but I am not much of a pistol guy so I can't really tell you why I liked it over the other.

Check that, he doesn't have the walther.

Rolltide

rimfiretactical.com
Dec 15, 2007
I hadn't really thought of the STI, mainly because I've been looking at Strikers. I've have had a bunch of 1911s and still have a few, but all have been 45's.

I had a guy who I used to shoot with who bought an STI 38 Super race gun and it was awesome... and expensive as shit. He dropped one of the 21 round mags and cracked it and almost cried. I believe he said the mags were about $125, and that was 10 years ago.

I'll check out the STI. I'm mainly looking for a high capacity 9 that will run like a champ and eat everything. Tony's STI was picky, but I've always assumed that was due to the caliber.

I've got a buddy who has went on a 5.7 buying spree and he's in love with that round. I thought about going there so I can pick up all of his shit cheap when he changes his mind...

16Bore

Feb 11, 2010
Virgina
Super can be finicky, especially running a comp. A "race" anything will be like that though, cars, bikes, etc. STI and a Marvel or Kimber 22LR top end will have you grinning. I can't remember the last 45 Acp through my 1911.

J-Hon

Administrator
Dec 11, 2007
Northern Ky
Ever shot a CZ?

I've been shooting various CZ flavors for several years now. I'll probably build some 19/2011's, but that's only because I now have a lathe and a mill. I don't think I'd ever buy another.

A tuned SAO CZ is the best 9mm 1911 I've ever had, if you get my drift. I shoot mine in USPSA production and steel matches. If you are near NKY you are welcome to check them out.

If you end up trying one, holler and I can help you set one up. They are pretty night and day different between 'tuned' and factory.

Reactions: Prowler

tnv

Dec 25, 2007
TN
I've always wanted a Browning Hi-Power myself. Plastic is a dime a dozen these days.

Rolltide

rimfiretactical.com
Dec 15, 2007
Those CZs are nice. I never see them locally to check them out.

I'll see what I can track down.

athhud

Oct 21, 2008
AL
For a fullsize 9, I like a HiPower. I haven't gotten into composites much though. If I do, it'll probably be a Springfield Xd of some flavor or HK. All of the S&W's I've shot just feel too much like a springy little toy. I know they perform well, but I can't like them. I don't know what it is about the Sigs, but they just don't feel right to me. I tried really hard to like them. The Xd's are not only tolerable, but I like them a lot. I hate the modern HK aesthetics, but it's hard to argue with the things that matter. They always hold my attention.

The Beretta 92ish stuff have always turned me off because of their massive grip, but a buddy of mine told me they produced a new model as a proposal to a military contract that had much narrower grips without sacrificing capacity. He wasn't sure whether or not it would actually be an offering on the civilian market and didn't think they won the bid, so it may be a pipe dream...

I've been close to picking up a CZ on several occasions, but it seems that something shinier always distracts me. One day I'll have to have one. Then I'll figure out whether or not I like it...

Rolltide

rimfiretactical.com
Dec 15, 2007
Every time I get close to picking up something, I too see a shiny new something, usually a rifle. The last year I've bought more rifles than I should've, which lead to more scopes, than I should've...

Lately, the rimfire kick has been fierce, so I figure a pistol needs to happen next. It's funny that you mention the HiPower...I came across a used one that is rough and way over priced, but it reminded me how nice they are.

I'm going to be traveling a bit and looking for a CZ to fondle and see what all the fuss is about. The shops in my area can't seem to spell CZ, much less understand that they offer something besides .22 rifles...

Nail

Feb 8, 2008
Mississippi
Got a hankering for a 9mm and decided to give the CZ P09 a whirl. Couldn't find many out there dog cussing the thing and I liked the package plus the price was right.

Haven't shot it much but it runs fine. I will likely invest in some CGW upgrades later on provided it doesn't give me a reason to send it down the road.

Rolltide

rimfiretactical.com
Dec 15, 2007
Ended up picking up an as new, unfired Hi-Power Practical. In the process, picked up a stainless M&P Pro...

Mighta picked up a few more rimfire pistolas as well...

jack mountain

Feb 6, 2014
VA
I was in the same boat and wound up with an H&K USP9. Lusting after a CZ-P01 now. The CZ 75 is a solid platform.

22 skadoo

Dec 9, 2007
NJ
Im running the HK USP compact and Sig P226 in 9mm for a number of years with no problems.Have always wanted a Browning HP.