data-csrf="1714382034,102578d11a2af4519158518d29190d1e" Turnigan Arm Pics | As Real As It Gets

Turnigan Arm Pics

cwh

Administrator
Nov 18, 2007
Anchorage
A couple pictures from a couple trips out to Turnigan the last few days. I think we get spoiled living next to something like that. Don't really even take a lot of pics and never post them when I do, so thought I'd toss a few up.

The ice in the arm all blocked/stacked up. Lots of places had cooler shots, but never could find a good combination of a place to get out of the truck and not get killed and a good looking picture.

Of course, we saw some of these critters and had to take a couple shots at them (with the camera)

This guy was hiding out, but made the mistake of skylining himself.

...so we "snuck up" on him around the corner for a closer shot.

cwh

Administrator
Nov 18, 2007
Anchorage
Right on the highway, not even sure if there is a legal season there, no tag, and not a legal ram.

Other than that, GTG :)

Muskegman

Nov 22, 2007
Northern S.E. Alaska
Nice pix

I think the Alaska Railroad Commission put out a poster with a ram sitting on a cliff above the railroad tracks (just like you have pictured) just a few years ago. Had it sitting on the wall at work for a while.

Paul H

Nov 19, 2007
Alaska
Visit site
Chris,

Thanks for posting. I've driven down the arm the past few days at lunch, as it's been so beautiful, and like a dummy I haven't had my camera.

Those three sheep were litterally right on the side of the road on Monday.

cwh

Administrator
Nov 18, 2007
Anchorage
Paul, since you posted the ice climbing thread, here's one for you:

Personally I am really uncomfortable taking pictures of people doing their thing, and equally so in mine taken, but I guess that's a risk you take/know in playing right on the highway.

Looks like fun, and I'm known as a monkey by enough people that I bet I would even be good at it. Though, now that I think about it, maybe that's a mental designation.

Paul H

Nov 19, 2007
Alaska
Visit site
I think most folks are cool having their pics taken if you just ask em. A lady took my pic ice climbing the end of last year, she asked if I minded and I said shoot away. I just wished I'd had the forsight to ask her to e-mail me the pics.

That looks like roadside attraction, and while it's a great flow, it's just too close to the highway for my comfort. Especially as you end up blasting ice off when you climb, and cars get hit on occasion. I also can't stand the road noise when you are right off the road.