data-csrf="1713512981,7a32d3efcbc27e9035c7699ad2ef2ec6" Tweener .224 | As Real As It Gets

Tweener .224

WhiskeyTango

Dec 4, 2009
Colorado Springs
I know there is already a similar thread but I need a tweener .224 between 223ai (already have) and 22 Creed. This would be a prs rifle and our matches have a 3100 fps speed limit. I’d like to be around 2900-3000 with a 88 eld or 90 a tip. Bolt action, .473 bolt face.

Any suggestions? I’ve been thinking 22BR.

Big Stick

Nov 18, 2007
Paradise
I think there is merit to the GayTiger,as feed/function goes.

My 22BR won't make the velocities cited,but it's modest in barrel length and I don't want a longer one. Fuck a few FPS,as a "trade" for better handling.

A 22-250 SALAMI will certainly do so,in a modest spout,even though I never could love the chambering. I have a 7" RPM Rock at 21",that in a word,is fabulous...but I just cain't love the chambering.

What sorta distances are you typically looking to play at? Hard for me to get away from a 223/223AI....................

WhiskeyTango

Dec 4, 2009
Colorado Springs
Our PRS matches have stages between 300-1066 typically. I already have a 223 AI, its a 722 in a terrain at 18.5" Marksman contour, 1-7" and it loves 88's fed from MDT mags. I probably should just use that in matches buts its more setup for fun then PRS. Main rifle is a 6mm creed and the barrel is about toast, was originally thinking of 6mm BR next for it but seems like the .224 88 and 90's are a better mousetrap which is why I was looking at something with a bit more capacity than 223/223ai.

Joshf303

Dec 24, 2014
While I like my 22CMs, 223s etc... those bullets can become a bitch to spot compared to the 6, 25s, 6.5s. Throw in a little mirage and phuck...
We are shooting out to that transonic area at some places.

Dude270

Dec 23, 2014
For sure. 6mm strikes are a lot easier to spot. 6.5 even more so, but I can lose them in recoil there occasionally

Big Stick

Nov 18, 2007
Paradise
I get it and shoot everything mentioned,but am more than a "touch" comfy with a 223/223AI and especially as cited.......................

wolfman

Mar 25, 2009
NB, Canuckistan
I picked up a 'nilla .22-250 1-9' from a guy on a whim. I figured 75's would be about all I could hope to stabilize. So far it does just fine with both Berger and Amax. Turns out it's got a Lovelace throat, and I was shocked at how fast I can push them. It's not the sexy choice, to be sure, but it does seems to work, and feeds like a mother fucker.

WhiskeyTango

Dec 4, 2009
Colorado Springs
My 223ai is a peach and would probably work fine. She’s spent some time at Gretan to be bushed and bolt handle secured before Shaen did his magic with what I assume is a dremel and channel locks. :)

Would work fine for most matches I guess though I like an arca rail for some stages.

Probably still rebarrel my main gun but now leaning 6br.

7mmMato2

Oct 7, 2019
Got a Buddy shooting a .22 BRA in PRS matches. Has been pretty successful locally. He won a Progressive match with it last fall. Were you have 5 shots at each distance out to a mile. 1st shot impacts count for the most points and you must hit at each range to move to the next. He has a second round impact at a mile. He is shooting the A tips right now but says the Berger 88.5 shoot better he just can't find enough of them.

WhiskeyTango

Dec 4, 2009
Colorado Springs
Mile would be a stretch for my matches. Hope they have flashers on their far targets, especially towards the end of the day when all the paint is gone from the targets.

I’m stocked on 88s with 90 Atips in reserve. Only time I shot Berger’s in a match I had one of the worst jams and cost me the stage. Not sure if it was a bullet issue but have only used hornady otherwise.

Reactions: 7mmMato2

Big Stick

Nov 18, 2007
Paradise
Got a Buddy shooting a .22 BRA in PRS matches. Has been pretty successful locally. He won a Progressive match with it last fall. Were you have 5 shots at each distance out to a mile. 1st shot impacts count for the most points and you must hit at each range to move to the next. He has a second round impact at a mile. He is shooting the A tips right now but says the Berger 88.5 shoot better he just can't find enough of them.
Wish my atmosphere was that forgiving.....................(grin)

Rolltide

rimfiretactical.com
Dec 15, 2007
Can you spot impacts at distance with the 22 calls?

I hear lots of guys complaining that they got hits with their 6mm's in matches, but the RO's didn't spot the splash on the steel.

WhiskeyTango

Dec 4, 2009
Colorado Springs
It really just depends on several things like atmosphere, target location, target size, paint, etc but yes smaller, slower bullets have been tough to spot impacts sometimes. The last several matches have had flashers on the far targets which are great. To be honest, these are just local, nonleague matches so I am not too worried, just would like to improve my scores a little.

Joshf303

Dec 24, 2014
Seen lots of guys make the complete circle from 6s/6.5s to 22 cals. Just to go back...

I’m a fan of them all but when it comes to points I’m hedging my bets...

Big Stick

Nov 18, 2007
Paradise
I can hear 223/223AI impacts on steel,well beyond 1000yds and I'm fucking deaf.

Though a 280 with Beer Cans,do sound different..................(grin)

7mmMato2

Oct 7, 2019
Yea usually 800 yards and out they will run flashers. Some days you dont need them but if you get some bad mirage or shitty light you cant tell much on a shot up target. Though with Atips sometimes you can see sparks. Im not saying the .22 Bra is the bee knees but he makes it work pretty well but he is a above average shooter and wind reader. Ill stick to my 6 Bra I need all the help I can get. But I can see building a .22 Bra for fun.

Big Stick

Nov 18, 2007
Paradise
In actuality,"SALAMI","Wild" and "Match" don't mean much. Can he throat separately? I'd be nervous,if he can't.

I'd seat an 88 ELD where you like it and have him throat to kiss same,so numbers don't get askew. I wouldn't get greedy with neck clearance. Then simply massage innards,to grant said feed/function.

Probably ain't gonna suck..................(grin)

Big Stick

Nov 18, 2007
Paradise
Thanks for info. Tried to see a price/availability,but I guess a phone call in the morning will answer that.................

7mmMato2

Oct 7, 2019
Thanks for info. Tried to see a price/availability,but I guess a phone call in the morning will answer that.................
Yea his website is a little outdated. I believe he recently raised the price to 40.00 a hundred on the machined pulled Vtacs last time I bought some he still had some on hand. Now his Hand Pulled Vapor Trail bullets have a big waiting list and are double the price. But the Vtacs shoot good enought for me. TomE is a good guy. If he don't answer leave him a message he will call you back. Lot of guys use them around here because he is local and runs several PRS matches and 600 and 1000 yard benchrest matches. But there are guys using them all over the country.

Big Stick

Nov 18, 2007
Paradise
Got Tom on the horn and he is a treat. Coupla hunnert 103 machined on the way,as they were in stock and he said he'd ship tomorrow.

Thanks again.............

7mmMato2

Oct 7, 2019
The old boy has done a little shooting over the years. I think you will be pleased with those bullets. They don't seem to be too picky about seating depth. Benchrest guys Jam them the PRS guys usually jump them. They just seem to shoot.