data-csrf="1713249688,9de77a23857e4edd09d453f1bcbbd69d" What’s the difference..... | As Real As It Gets

What’s the difference.....

hangunnr

Administrator
Dec 12, 2007
Flatlandia
  • Deleted by hangunnr
Show…

dakotagun

Jan 25, 2017
Shitsville
I believe the compact is the same shape as the hunter's edge but it, does not come with edge fill as standard and does not had a cheek piece. I swear I read this somewhere on the McMillan site at one point. Anyway, I have and edge and can post photos tonight to give you an idea. There is definitely a difference in the forend thickness. Also the wrist is a bit thinner and the angle more open vs. a classic. The classic is still my favorite but the slimmer edge/compact is really nice, too.

hangunnr

Administrator
Dec 12, 2007
Flatlandia
Saw that they claim the same dimensions as an Edge, but the specs for the Edge don’t show when I tried to pull them up.
I found some pix that Skane posted on the campfire showing the difference in the forearms. Is the butt on the Compact/Edge the same as the Classic?

dakotagun

Jan 25, 2017
Shitsville
Pretty darn close. Not the best photo but what I have available. From top to bottom: Edge, Classic, Classic, EHSL (manners)
stocks.jpg

dakotagun

Jan 25, 2017
Shitsville
Never mind on the hunter's edge having a cheek piece I guess. I don't know what I was thinking there.
I can get better photos for comparison later this evening.

Big Stick

Nov 18, 2007
Paradise
It'd make less than zero sense,to simply dupe a Classic and bill it as being something else.............................

Big Stick

Nov 18, 2007
Paradise
Besides the accidental dimensioning dupe,it is very difficult to determine the Warm/Fuzzy,with numerical designators alone.

Coming full circle...what is it that you have in mind or are hoping to do?..................

hangunnr

Administrator
Dec 12, 2007
Flatlandia
Looking to order an Edge or Compact for a Rem sporter. I have Classics and an MR but would like something a bit slimmer. The weight cut with the Edge wouldn’t hurt at all.

dakotagun

Jan 25, 2017
Shitsville
Thank you for the pictures.

What did you put in that Edge?

Nothing fancy. Just a 700 sporter. I put a low round count SS 243 barrel on a CM 700 action. Glass will be a 3-9 Burris FFII and I'm planning to shoot 80 grain federal blue box. If that stuff doesnt shoot I'll handload 87 hornady bthp bullets. It's slated to be kind of a grab and go rig. An all arounder for coyotes, deer, whatever.

False_Cast

May 31, 2016
MI
I’ve gone the Compact route; one fiberglass and one Edge. I did the same as you too; comparing the “numbers” on the McM site. There’s no substitute for handling these stocks. Tripped both Compacts once I opened my ears to Stick and ordered a gel coat Classic. It’s the handle to an ss sporter M700 243 ADL that is “just right” in a lot of regards. Second only to a Kimber Montucky in the handiness department. The latter being a 223, the rifles fill different niches. It’s not lost on me that my account is anecdotal. The Classic just feels right with the Rem Sporter.

Brazo

Mar 29, 2013
The Keystone State
Hoping to clear something up. The different nomenclature between the Hunters Edge and Compact is simply fill, otherwise they are the exact same stock. As mentioned, this stock has a slimmer fore end and a more open grip than a classic.

Hunters Edge - EDGE fill
Compact - standard / gelcoat fill

My absolute favorite stock for a remington sporter barrel contour (#2) up to a remington magnum contour (#3) is called:

The Mcmillan Hunter. It is awesome. I would compare it to a classic with a monte carlo cheekpiece, a slight palm swell, and a bit of a slimmer fore end which I love.

Using this stock I have a #2 in an Edge, and a #3 in a gelcoat. Both balance great. I would recommend not much longer than 22".

Do not mistake this stock with a Remington Hunter. That is the beefy varmint contour fore end stock which you wouldn't want from your application.

hangunnr

Administrator
Dec 12, 2007
Flatlandia
I’ve got a McM hunter on my 300WM and no question it is a nice profile and quite frankly I hadn’t considered it for this rifle.
Is yours a short or long action? Any idea what it weighs in edge fill?

Brazo

Mar 29, 2013
The Keystone State
The edge is a short action. Pulled the specs from an old thread on another forum with a total weight.

Mines an ADL but EDGE's are all usually 24-26 oz depending on inlet

243 AI
Remington 700 short action bought new
#2 Hart barrel 1-8" twist cut at 22" and 3/4" exposed shank
Jon supplied a .250" recoil lug
New McMillan Hunter in EDGE fill. Black base with olive and grey specs
Borden aluminum trigger guard with no hole in the front
Jewel trigger set at 1.5 lbs and feels fantastic
Graphite black cerakote
Bolt body polished
Kampfeld Ti flutes on the bolt and a campfire bolt knob added
Leupold VX-3 3.5-10
Talley LW low's
The entire package weighs 7 lbs 6 oz.

The #3 contour is a long action 280AI. Barrel cut at 23" and also balances great with a gelcoat fill.

hangunnr

Administrator
Dec 12, 2007
Flatlandia
Thanks,

I’ll be going ADL with this stock too. I think it’s just gonna be a standard Edge. The shorter forend will suit the 20” barrel nicely.

hangunnr

Administrator
Dec 12, 2007
Flatlandia
Had every intention of ordering a compact or edge until I happened across this McM Hunter over on LRH. It came with the PTG Oberdorf bottom metal so it was a easy decision.

Last edited: