data-csrf="1713522403,924a6cbf0d170fa5f3e739379986298a" what would you folks do? | As Real As It Gets

what would you folks do?

wolfman

Mar 25, 2009
NB, Canuckistan
I've been shooting a 7saum built up from factory parts for a while. 1990's SS BDL tube spun onto an action, chopped to 22", chamber recut with a reamer I had in the drawer. Bedded into a mcmillan compact, wearing a 2.5-8 M1 elevation, sitting in DD rings. Have only shot 120 TSX at 3300-ish. Obviously busting a critter through both shoulders anchors them right there, but since we only get one deer tag a year, I'd prefer not to chew up both shoulders if I can avoid it. Any time I've put a bullet through a critter, it's always killed shit dead, but without breaking both shoulders, shit makes a run, but blood trail has generally sucked. Last week, I had a eater sized buck show up at last light. He hung up at 50 yrds, quartred to. I put the shot on the point of the shoulder. While he only made it 50yrds, he went from the edge of the open, into the tree line, with absolutely no blood or hair until we stumbled across him. Post mortum showed the bullet trashed the onside shoulder, turned the lungs to soup, and stopped in the stomach cavity. I didn't search through the gut pile for the bullet, but there was no exit. There was lots of stomach contents packing the shoulder. I wish I had a highspeed camera filming impact, because he must have swelled like a balloon!

Here's my question. Do I stay with the bullet, or switch to something else? Since we only get one deer tag a year, it takes quite a while to build up any sort of history with any combo. Most of my shots are well inside 100yds. I know pretty much anything will work, but what will do the best job of killing, not destroying meat, and leaving a better blood trail. Thoughts, besides shoot meat in the head?

raghornjp

May 4, 2010
A whole nuther country
This may not be the feedback you are looking for but I’d be shooting a smaller caliber.
I use to be magnum guy for deer but over the years have moved to smaller calibers
Deer are easy to kill with about anything and for me the perfect combo is a .22 with 75 Amax
I’ve smoked dozens of them now with that bullet and seldom will a deer travel over 20 yards (most dead in 10 or less)
Shot one a couple weeks ago facing me head on in the brisket
Dead in less than 10 yards, lungs gone, no gut involvement
Shots tight behind the shoulder generally shoot thru and have the same results

Reactions: KodiakHntr

wolfman

Mar 25, 2009
NB, Canuckistan
In the back of my head, I've been thinking the same thing. I've got lots of smaller ones to choose from. .223AI, 6-250AI, 7-08. Sometimes the answer is just too easy.

Chesapeake

Aug 24, 2010
SW Washington
For me, I tend toward head shots for that type of hunting with second choice being through the lungs, nothing but ribs. But I also tend toward non-magnum, though my elk rifle is a 7mm rem mag launching 143 Hammer hunters at 3100fps.
I don't aim shoulders unless the game (bear) or terrain dictate I do to aid in recovery.

I'd think a 7mm-08 was much more suited to the 120 tsx for deer at close range.
Maybe step up to the 143 Hammer hunter, 145LRX, 140, or 150 TTSX and slow the bullet a little so its not such a bomb on impact. Then punch lungs, not shoulders. For good blood trails I like exit wounds.

Driftin'

Nov 16, 2009
Offshore
Where legal for deer, 62X's out of your .223AI are nasty little bastards with 100% terminal weight retention and similar odds of exiting at the ranges you most likely encounter. If you have a 7-twist, the new 77 LRX's would be a choice as well. As most have said, svelte 75's work too. While fully understanding anchoring critters with holes poked through CNS/CPS intersections, turning air bags into raspberry jello saves shoulder roasts and the blood trail pouring from facial orifices leaves a stark, short trail to its inevitable conclusion....

Big Stick

Nov 18, 2007
Paradise
Having shot every chambering/bullet cited(except the Hammer),there's just too many EASY ways to get there.

No thang to shoot Meat,where the Meat ain't and CNS Insertions are a "touch" reliable.(grin)

I've a few combos to choose from and there's a sopping wet 18" 270 Montucky stoked with 105 'Max in the front seat. Can't matter where you put them,as penetration is a given,the BC makes up for things others dote upon,with quite a bit more velocity. 24.6grs of powder,ain't as much as it sounds like. You get (5) in the belly,no recoil,no noise and I'd be happy to point at things that others think require an Air Strike. I can break shoulders,I can shoot meat and/or hit the South End of a Northbound train less a single fucking fret. The opposite being true,from brisket to stern,none of which makes ANY fucks.

I hear good thangs about the .224" 75 'Max...................(grin)

dznnf7

Apr 30, 2016
A lot of good advice here. I shoot about five deer a year, one or two with a muzzleloader; others with a CF. Moderate velocity. Close is 50 yards, far is 200 for my woods. The 6BR with 108's at 75 to 100 yards worked a lot like Stick describes the 105A/M in the "270". Last year I poked a couple with the 223 and 50gr TTSX's. Past years I've leaned heavily on the 260 Montana with 120 TTSX's. TTSX's aren't ballistically impressive like the ELD's, but a close hit at higher velocities won't turn meat into mush, and they penetrate just like they claim to. I've recovered one,ever, and it looked just like the pics in the old magazine ads.
Also, you should consider moving to where you can kill more shit.

Big Stick

Nov 18, 2007
Paradise
Murder For Hire here. Everyone helps out the older folks and they are quick to point out "Head shots...ONLY!"..................(grin)

MontanaMan

Nov 28, 2007
I've kilt a shitload of deer in wet, swampy areas, ala hip boot country, where you don't want them to run with a Marlin 1895, 45-70 & 400 gr boolits at around 1900 FPS.

At range from point blank to 100 yards, it does a helluva job, doesn't ruin much meat. never don't work & animals (including elk) usually drop in their tracks.

It ain't fancy & it ain't hi-tech & it ain't glamorous, but it flat works in the right conditions.

MM

wolfman

Mar 25, 2009
NB, Canuckistan
Thanks for the reality check gents. In reality, the chambering means less than squat. Choose a bullet, load to a reasonable velocity for the job at hand, and drive on. 7-8 years ago, I plugged a forkie in the shoulder with a 62 tsx, and it certainly did the job. It sounds like the 75 amax won't leave me wanting either. Can anyone compare a 75 amax at 3100-ish to a 105 at roughly the same velocity? I like the idea of Stick's 270, but I don't happen to have one in the stable, and my plumber doesn't have a reamer. I trying not to build another rifle, although that one does have some appeal.

Driftin'

Nov 16, 2009
Offshore
Can anyone compare a 75 amax at 3100-ish to a 105 at roughly the same velocity? I like the idea of Stick's 270, but I don't happen to have one in the stable, and my plumber doesn't have a reamer. I trying not to build another rifle, although that one does have some appeal.
Plug & Play your choices in JBM Ballistics

Big Stick

Nov 18, 2007
Paradise
Friday the 13th? Murder For Hire? CNS? 270? 105? More than (1) Tag?

Sometimes is tough to see through all of the fog...............(grin)

Lineman

Dec 31, 2010
VA
I like TSXs probably more than most here. Loved them out of my 7mm WSM and will probably load the rest for my saum next year. I will always shoot for shoulders though.

Scenars are pretty quickly coming to the top of my list the more I use them. That 150gr might be worth a try for you. They dig deep, but seem to open a little faster than a Barnes.

Dude270

Dec 23, 2014
I've been shooting 105 scenars this year out of a 6 creed and while accuracy is spectacular they seem almost too hard for deer.

hangunnr

Administrator
Dec 12, 2007
Flatlandia
If I were in your situation I’d use either a Accubond or 120NBT in the 7mm’s and shoot lungs. More than enough destruction and good blood trails. I’ve never not seen one fall from the 120NBT through the lungs from my 7-08.

wolfman

Mar 25, 2009
NB, Canuckistan
If I were in your situation I’d use either a Accubond or 120NBT in the 7mm’s and shoot lungs. More than enough destruction and good blood trails. I’ve never not seen one fall from the 120NBT through the lungs from my 7-08.
I'm inclined to agree. I have both on the shelf. Guess it's time to see how they shoot.

Chesapeake

Aug 24, 2010
SW Washington
160 accubonds from a 7 mag blow off the front 40 to 50% then the tail drives through. Done that for years with never an issue. Run mono now days due to wanting less meat damage.

Ballistic tips at 7 mag speed tend to come apart violently. Launched at 2800 or so they hold together much better.
Even shooting ribs you’ll end up with jelly under the on-side front shoulder with the Noslers.

MontanaMan

Nov 28, 2007
I like the 120 NBT in both my 7-08 & 280 Rem's. Deadly.

But in the end, not all animals always react the same over a big enough sample.

MM

wolfman

Mar 25, 2009
NB, Canuckistan
The 7-08/162 is a Giant Killer,less fanfare or "weirdness"....................
You've certainly been touting this combo for quite a while. I did do initial load workup last year, and got great resukts with '17. I've been meaning to stretch it out a bit to see how it holds together.

Big Stick

Nov 18, 2007
Paradise
I LOVE '15,but '17 is better there.

Everything but Rimfire,Shotshells and Bulker Ball is moly for me.......................

Big Stick

Nov 18, 2007
Paradise
It do nice thangs in atmospherics,is forgiving both near and far,while being happy to break bone as asked to.

The upside being,there is NO downside........................

teal

Dec 16, 2007
Missing, presumed dead.....
Yep - was you poking me in that direction back in the day - got the last 708 Montana from Whittakers, topped with a 6MQ chicken.

It just kills.

That said -glad to be back on the site, my stuff got zooked somehow and I've been laying low the last couple of years anyway.