data-csrf="1714052561,70761acff6ca13e1c85aca2f0378d44a" What's the move? | As Real As It Gets

What's the move?

Cuando

Oct 23, 2014
Have a couple of .223AI's with really tight chambers (cut with same reamer) and thinking about having a custom sizer made. Bulk once fired RP cases are getting the click after sizing with a cam over before firing and having to take a cleaning rod to knock out stuck cases when fire forming is lame.

With the light hunting build the fix has just been to shoot new Lapua cases, but with the varmint gun it sure would be great to use the RP once fired stuff.

.223 short base die and custom .223AI sizer?

Cull the stuck bastards and custom .223AI sizer?

Got more money to spend on it than time these days so sure would appreciate the advice.

Rastus

Jan 22, 2014
State Of Confusion
Just get a standard AI reamer and run it in by hand, chances are if it is clicking it is too tight at the base
3/8 socket extension and a cordless drill on slow and a bit of cutting fluid
I have done this myself, you will feel it when you touch the shoulder, stop there and try it

Al Nyhus

Dec 30, 2008
First, you have to identify exactly what the issue is. How are you measuring the shoulder push back after sizing?

With some 40 degree cases, pushing the shoulder back can actually make the body/shoulder junction larger in diameter. -Al

Rastus

Jan 22, 2014
State Of Confusion
Yep, a texta will soon identify the issue
All this talk of shoulder bumping on the internet probably causes more reloading issues than all the others combined
The dies need to fit the chamber radially first

Big Stick

Nov 18, 2007
Paradise
Been slammed at work,but I'll take a second.

For O/F from someone else's shit,simply Small Base Size like a bastard. Bump necks ala 270 die and drive a false shoulder.

Done...................

Cuando

Oct 23, 2014
Been slammed at work,but I'll take a second.

For O/F from someone else's shit,simply Small Base Size like a bastard. Bump necks ala 270 die and drive a false shoulder.

Done...................
Thanks man. Beats the hell out of running another reamer in there! LOL

Big Stick

Nov 18, 2007
Paradise
Most stubborn O/F brass is from a Self Shucker of some sort and I'd not wanna turn my turnbolt into a Slop Fest.

Going Small Base gets shit back to "normal" and a False Shoulder controls headspace like no other.

Easy win.................

Cuando

Oct 23, 2014
I small based a couple hundred and did a false shoulder.

Hope this does it, but they're still clicking .

Big Stick

Nov 18, 2007
Paradise
The "clicking" is a primary extraction issue,that only a bolt handle relocation will fix. I'd rather relocate,than weld/shape existing and typically swap out to a threaded handle as a default.

The Kali Kid nails this and I like mine TiG'd.................

wolfman

Mar 25, 2009
NB, Canuckistan
I just got a bunch of 1F R-P .223 brass. It's advertised as processed, but headspace varies 0.004". I'm going to fireform a bunch into 223 ai. My plan is to run a 270 mandrel, and then leave a shoulder when sizing the neck with a bushing. I haven't got a small base die, these don't seem to have fat ass syndrome, so I think I'll be ok

Cuando

Oct 23, 2014
I just got a bunch of 1F R-P .223 brass. It's advertised as processed, but headspace varies 0.004". I'm going to fireform a bunch into 223 ai. My plan is to run a 270 mandrel, and then leave a shoulder when sizing the neck with a bushing. I haven't got a small base die, these don't seem to have fat ass syndrome, so I think I'll be ok
Never would consider processed brass to hold any form of headspace tolerance.

Big Stick

Nov 18, 2007
Paradise
"Clickery" is Primary Extraction,no matter the receiver Make/Model.

70's are welded too and I'd not be afeared to fix said timing...............

Cuando

Oct 23, 2014
So did you get this fixed I’d be interested to hear the results
Yeah. One of my Origins had a shitty extractor that was jumping the rim on primary extraction. I assumed the chamber was too tight because it felt like a click same as the M70 PF. Tried it with a second bolt face and yanked them suckers out no problem. Zermatt had parts to me in a couple days and all is well there.

Small base die and false shoulders seems to have cured the clicking on the M70.