data-csrf="1711722304,73d5d0205592e8b2840ce9b89032f975" Which Spotting Scope? | As Real As It Gets

Which Spotting Scope?

Rolltide

rimfiretactical.com
Dec 15, 2007
I'm looking for a spotter to use for the range as well as long distance spotting at my farm. I don't make it out west every year so I'm not as concerned about size / weight as I am glass and clarity.

I've heard good things about Zeiss and Swarovski, but I'm not sure I want to sink that much coin into one, especially when it's going to be used more for convenience than anything else.

Any recommendations that are sub $1K in the 20-60x80 range?

Big Stick

Nov 18, 2007
Paradise
Were I starting over,I'd set my Zeiss on the shelf and drive a Reupold of all fucking things...solely to reap a FFP TMR reticle in their 12-40x.

The view wouldn't be nearly as spectacular,but it'd chew up and spit out data that couldn't be realized ANY other way. So while the optical concession is an obvious given,I'd take the hit to make gains elsewhere.

SWFA has a MilDot version on The Sample List...but I'd holdout for the TMR,as it is farrrrrrr more flexible........................

wireman

Apr 7, 2012
Idaho
I had the HD version of the 12x40 with a TMR in a hand selected version picked at the factory. It did everything Stick says and had pretty good glass. I don't shoot much any more and I gave it to a young friend and now for observation primarily I use a Pentax 65 ED body with their eyepiece for the larger 80 and 100 mm scopes.

Big Stick

Nov 18, 2007
Paradise
The only way I'd could slum the Reupold "view",would be to get some frosting on the other end...because it ain't in the same realm as Zeiss.

I'd grin and bear it for the TMR...............

4th_point

Dec 4, 2013
Oregon
Rolltide said:
I'm looking for a spotter to use for the range as well as long distance spotting at my farm. I don't make it out west every year so I'm not as concerned about size / weight as I am glass and clarity.
You'll probably laugh your ass off, but I've been using a $120 spotter with reticle for the past year and love it. The image sucks, but I'd rather have the "reticle" than the "image" for shooting. Sure, for picking out antlers in tall grass, I'd rather have a better image. Fucker has not been treated gently either. It gets thrown in a tub with all sorts of other shit, then bounced around. ED50 was my lightweight spotter before this, but sold it to a bud.

The image isn't great, but is better than the pics below depict. I can call misses in the dirt, and hits on steel well enough to make it useful.

4th_point

Dec 4, 2013
Oregon
Also considered a budget rifle scope with mil-based reticle, mounted to a QD plate for spotter usage.

Just need to make sure the reticle is calibrated.

Rolltide

rimfiretactical.com
Dec 15, 2007
Lots of good info. I've never considered the Leupold and haven't really looked at any of the lower end scopes.

Oatmealsavage82

Nov 15, 2011
Alberta Canada
Buddy Jordan Smith has a vortex razor with the mil hash reticle and it was pretty nice. But deft not compact. I hear a lot of guys say good things about Kowa

hangunnr

Administrator
Dec 12, 2007
Flatlandia
I used a Kowa back when I was shooting competitive pistol years back. Beat the shit out of that scope and it's still going strong. Mine is set up with a 11-33x eye piece and is designed to focus out to about 75yds or so. Never heard any negative press about them...

CR

Rolltide

rimfiretactical.com
Dec 15, 2007
I missed a decent deal on a Kowa locally about a month ago. Seller seemed too sketchy and figured it might belong to somebody else...

When I shot 1000 yard F Class, the Kowa seemed to be the main spotter on the line.

huntsman22

Jan 25, 2013
eastern CO
Oatmealsavage82 said:
Buddy Jordan Smith has a vortex razor with the mil hash reticle
You can put that same $200 eyepiece on a Swaro sts/stm and have a cheaper ranging option than the new high-dollar Swaro

huntsman22

Jan 25, 2013
eastern CO
it is a vortex fixed 30x with a mil reticle. They make one with moa, too. view is great. Their 20-60 will interchange with swaro, also. The little swaro lock don't engage the vortex eyepieces, but I ain't never had one unscrew..... If doing it over, I'da got Swaro bodies and all vortex eyepieces and saved some coin. The swaro camera adapters don't work with the vortex 30, tho....

Horse1

Dec 31, 2007
In the vicinity of dandihood
Anyone looking for a spotter that didn't buy the $1100 new old stock 62mm Leica on the 'fire this week really missed out. There was a 20-60x85 Swaro collapsible on the 'fire within the last 6wks as well that sold for $650.

Pappy

Jan 14, 2010
Visit site
New swaro ATX 30-70x95 in the mail headed my way, when the view matters most i will pack the extra weight all day long, tried one out and loved it. Sold the Zeiss and ordered this one up. I have zero complaints about the Zeiss I had but liked the Swaro better.

Pappy

Jan 14, 2010
Visit site
I believe they do have one. tried giving you a jingle yesterday to catch up but you got too many numbers and are in too many places for me to keep up.

Big Stick

Nov 18, 2007
Paradise
I'm hardly ever in the office. Will be home Thursday.

I'll shout your way today,once the ball gets rolling.

Benji showed me the skydiving pictures...I was fucking crying!................

Pappy

Jan 14, 2010
Visit site
So was I, lesson learned, don't tease someone about doing something unless you are committed to doing it your self. It was fun though, now that I am still alive.

Big Stick

Nov 18, 2007
Paradise
Heights were never my favorite,but as much of it as I've done...some would think otherwise.

Still trying to figure out how I'm still alive...............

Tanner

Jan 24, 2013
Colorado
Pappy I ran a 95 Swaro on a ram hunt I guided this year in the Chugach... Bad ass scope and not as heavy as I anticipated anyway... I need to pawn off a testicle and get one myself...

Tanner

Tanner

Jan 24, 2013
Colorado
Some gigantic carbon fiber Slik number with a Manfrotto head it looks like .... The head was not my favorite but it did lock down nice and tight... The client brought the whole shebang and I figured why not.... The glass was pretty impressive to me

Big Stick

Nov 18, 2007
Paradise
Legs don't really make that big of a fuck,but a 'head sure do.

Pass a Manfrotto 496-ish head and I'm purty deeply entrenched in RC2 plates for everything. REALLY like the double locking lever on the release,because nothing can ever hit the deck on accident..............

Pappy

Jan 14, 2010
Visit site
These pictures where through the Swaro at 70 power hiding behind a rock in 40-60 mph winds handholding my phone for the picture, rams where just shy of 1400 yards. I have never seen a spotter that is even close in optical quality.