data-csrf="1711623215,283ec7076403f76aefe3bcaaaf21fdd7" WhooHoo, 2021 is starting out great..... | As Real As It Gets

WhooHoo, 2021 is starting out great.....

Driftin'

Nov 16, 2009
Offshore
Nice. Have done a shitload of civil/structural design for process plants of various types in the US and Canada but have to ask what the P&ID says this one does.

hangunnr

Administrator
Dec 12, 2007
Flatlandia
This is a gas fired 2x1 combined cycle power plant.

Found this pic on the net, the only real difference is there are 2 gas turbines in our unit.

Last edited:

starsky

Jul 17, 2012
Colorado
That makes my commercial construction stuff look pretty small lol.

On the topic of big trucks, can't recommend the Dodge 6.4 Hemis. Think we're up to 10 transmissions swapped out in the last 12-18 months on our fleet. Including mine 2 weeks ago. Cummins spin 'em out even faster. Maybe they'd last longer in the flatlands, but having 5-10k pounds on a trailer going up I70 makes 'em cry.

Just got two of the new Ford 7.3s in the fleet so we'll see how they hold up. 10 speed transmission in those.

Pass the 'yotas.

Reactions: Painless

hangunnr

Administrator
Dec 12, 2007
Flatlandia
A little more picture fun....

This is a pic of my fabrication slab. The piece you see coming out of the gray tent is about 40’ of 20” that ties into a reducing elbow in the tent. When reduced it becomes 16” with the six 10” risers coming out of it. That spool weighs just over 17,800 pounds.

These next two are a couple 26” spools that will eventually get welded together. The upper silver one is 2-1/4 chrome and the lower curved one is carbon steel. For size reference the upper silver one is in excess of 80’ long.

This last one is a model view from my iPad. This technology is pretty friggin cool. I can find any feature on the structure by simply rotating the picture however I want it. It makes explaining complicated sets in the piping very easy as the picture is pretty much idiot proof.

Driftin'

Nov 16, 2009
Offshore
Had to smile at the familiar spring hangers shown in your ipad image, accounting for the thermal expansion/contraction in the high-temp piping runs. All the modern 3D modeling that accounts for structure, mechanical and electrical minimizes the opportunities to bitch slap the piping designer or sparky that ran their pipe/conduit rack through my steel framing. Have seen numerous examples of the latter two trades cutting steel or concrete to accomplish their runs or owners making structural modifications. Some with devastating outcomes....

hangunnr

Administrator
Dec 12, 2007
Flatlandia
Thankfully we haven’t had any major fudge ups so far. The biggest problems we’ve had are pre fab errors. They’ve missed including pitch in some of the piping intersections. We’ve had to cut some joints apart to make it right, that gets the office types all wound up.....😁 The twin boilers are more or less mirror images of each other so if the spool was wrong on A it was also likely wrong on B. We’ve had numerous ground mounted supports well out of line with the pipe that sits on them. Can’t say why that aspect of the build has been so bad.

We haven’t had to cut any structural steel yet but the penetrations through decking have needed some adjustment in numerous locations. I wish they would leave those locations for field fit and eliminate the prefab.

Driftin'

Nov 16, 2009
Offshore
You mean the BIM files don't equate to the field? Damnable heresy! *grin*

Had the pleasure to work with a number of good piping designers and couple of exceptional ones as a civil/structural engineer and PM. Besides the usual checking procedures, there were always drafting board conversations (way before CADD) about giving the contractors some leeway to make minor adjustments in the field. Industrial design is vastly different from commercial with the latter being concerned about shaving the last pound of steel to save dollars and the former really trying to anticipate where/when someone will want to put a half dozen chillers on top of your pipe rack bents. Mother Murphy lives on....

Keep us up to date on your interesting project's progress.

cwh

Administrator
Nov 18, 2007
Anchorage
Cool pictures. Looks like an interesting project. They have some pretty cool software now, and some of the stuff that ties together drone images and lidar is also pretty slick.

Some of those oil boys up here have some cool toys. Wish I was smart enough to play with the cool shit, I just line electrons up and make em march.