data-csrf="1713270919,69f4aec62fbd6c7409a6ad72b7c23b82" Why I'm not a 'real' gunsmith! | As Real As It Gets

Why I'm not a 'real' gunsmith!

Al Nyhus

Dec 30, 2008
I did this gun for a good pal several years ago. He wants to do his own maintaining on it now and wanted advice on how much to 'torque' the action screws down. I showed him how to get the barrelled action in and out, seat the recoil lug and tighten the action screws on my pillar bedding job with an Allen wrench. Plus, I educated him on the fallacy of action screws needing a specific torque on a well done, stress free pillar bedding job like I'd done on this rifle. Bada bing, bada boom. Done, right? ;)

He calls yesterday and said he bought a good torque wrench. :rolleyes: Problem was that he bought a lbs/ft. one rather than an inch/lb. wrench. At 50 lbs./ft., the Allen recess in the front action screw decided it had enough and rolled over.

So there I am this morning......

Al Nyhus

Dec 30, 2008
The sharp eyed will savvy the mods to enlarge the hole and establish a flat seat to eliminate the tapered seat screws. A button head screw is then used for more contact and flat-to-flat seating. It's a worthwhile mod to the O.E
bottom metal. -Al

CaptArab

Jul 9, 2021
Reminds me of a buddy that got his ounces and grams mixed up.

Fella went on a 5 days spiritual voyage!
Accidents happen I suppose šŸ˜