.221 Fireball Build?

Dan In Alaska

Nov 30, 2007
Anchorage
I had a Ruger 77/22 Hornet, years ago. I've often thought of getting another one, and K-punching it. But, as long as I'm going through all that hassle, why not build a .221 Fireball? I'd like to pick up a Howa Mini in .223 or .350L, thinking it would be a good donor.

I already have an original XP in 221 Fireball, a pile of brass and 40gr Vmax. Should be pretty straightforward, and with its paltry powder charges, I think the Fireball would be a good time with a suppressor. I bet a guy could shoot it forever, without it getting hot enough to blur the view.

Thoughts?

dznnf7

Apr 30, 2016
I've thought about it. And I'd use a 7-twist barrel and end up shooting 75's out of it. Sounds like a lot of fun to me, although I won't be front-burnering it anytime soon.

nimrod1949

Mar 1, 2010
n. idaho
I’ve been considering a 17 Fireball on a mini Howa. The issue I’m concerned about is feeding. Maybe a CZ fireball magazine and DBM is the solution if you can find one of the magazines

Dude270

Dec 23, 2014
I'd be concerned about feeding and ejection. I believe I'd try some dummies and brass in a howa before I committed to a build

Wiserfool

Sep 6, 2020
I'd be concerned about feeding and ejection. I believe I'd try some dummies and brass in a howa before I committed to a build
There is some good information about building 221 Fireball on various actions not originally chambered for it on https://www.saubier.com/. These guys are waaaaay down the rabbit hole on doin small calibre shit just to see if it can be done. Their basic conclusion is buy a rifle factory chambered for it or prepare yourself for some serious frustration.......

406 SBC

Jun 5, 2010
I "converted" a Sako Vixen with a very tired .222 barrel to Fireball and it was a straightforward rebarrel.