data-csrf="1714246942,c19bd214b971e6bf6b00680aa8c04099" 243 Ackley Improved Build Complete | As Real As It Gets

243 Ackley Improved Build Complete

Brazo

Mar 29, 2013
The Keystone State
I recently took delivery of my new 243 Ackley Improved from Jon Beanland and am really happy with how it came out. I also want to personally thank Stick for his recommendations and help with the throating. I appreciate it.

243 AI
Remington 700 short action bought new
#2 Hart barrel 1-8" twist cut at 22" and 3/4" exposed shank
Jon supplied a .250" recoil lug
New McMillan Hunter in EDGE fill. Black base with olive and grey specs
Borden aluminum trigger guard with no hole in the front
Jewel trigger set at 1.5 lbs and feels fantastic
Graphite black cerakote
Bolt body polished
Kampfeld Ti flutes on the bolt and a campfire bolt knob added
Leupold VX-3 3.5-10
Talley LW low's
The entire package weighs 7 lbs 6 oz.

I sent Jon a dummy round that he throated the rifle to. I used virgin Lapua 243 brass and a 105 Hornady HPBT seated at 2.750". This gives me plenty of room to feed cartridges and chase the lands in the factory ADL box.

I will have to update this post when I have some real targets to share. I have only formed some cases and am still experimenting with the ackley loads.

Thank you for looking and I hope you enjoy reading my post.

[img:left]http://s15.postimg.org/z8plvapzf/IMG_2539.jpg[/img]

[img:left]http://s12.postimg.org/guxya88ul/IMG_2547.jpg[/img]

[img:left]http://s11.postimg.org/c5g6zbrqr/IMG_2555.jpg[/img]

[img:left]http://s22.postimg.org/pie1pjy81/IMG_2556.jpg[/img]

Brazo

Mar 29, 2013
The Keystone State
A couple pics of my 87gr Hornady V-max forming load dummy round kissing the lands and a piece of formed brass.

[img:left]http://s7.postimg.org/d7t3986hn/IMG_2513.jpg[/img]

[img:left]http://s7.postimg.org/458c0qaqj/IMG_2514.jpg[/img]

Lineman

Dec 31, 2010
VA
I got the poor mans version of that coming along right now.

Nice build, only 2 minor things I'd do different.

I actually had the parts for 2 builds very similar, and was looking at Jon to do the work. Kinda wish I hadn't sold off everything and went through with a couple, this thread don't help that feeling.

Congrats on a nice rifle though, can't imagine you won't enjoy the hell out of it.

Brazo

Mar 29, 2013
The Keystone State
Lineman said:
I got the poor mans version of that coming along right now.

Nice build, only 2 minor things I'd do different.

I actually had the parts for 2 builds very similar, and was looking at Jon to do the work. Kinda wish I hadn't sold off everything and went through with a couple, this thread don't help that feeling.

Congrats on a nice rifle though, can't imagine you won't enjoy the hell out of it.
Thank you, if I may ask what 2 minor things would you change?

Pappy and Stick, I actually have a SWFA MQ 6x ready to go, my dad just feels more comfortable with his tried and true Luepold's for hunting. He is good to me so I try not to argue.

I have some Burris 2 piece picatinny bases and may have to use those so I can switch scopes on and off easily with some nice rings.

I'll have to post up a couple other rifles in the next few weeks now that I got the hang of posting them.

Big Stick

Nov 18, 2007
Paradise
Often it is prudent to not let folks vote...in order to help them.(grin)

Once they see the light(literally),they WILL thank you.

The Dude is throwing his Rockytucky/6x Fixed Fucker in the crummy,as I pen this and I'd not wanna be a fuzzy horned spike this morning!.....................

cwh

Administrator
Nov 18, 2007
Anchorage
Nice build! Can't imagine you will be disappointed with it.

Take your bolt apart and clean that goop off the threads (and the FP/spring).

Brazo

Mar 29, 2013
The Keystone State
Big Stick said:
Often it is prudent to not let folks vote...in order to help them.(grin)

Once they see the light(literally),they WILL thank you.

The Dude is throwing his Rockytucky/6x Fixed Fucker in the crummy,as I pen this and I'd not wanna be a fuzzy horned spike this morning!.....................
I hear ya on that =) .. Tell him good luck, I hope he gets some nice tender meat for the freezer.

Brazo

Mar 29, 2013
The Keystone State
cwh said:
Nice build! Can't imagine you will be disappointed with it.

Take your bolt apart and clean that goop off the threads (and the FP/spring).
Thanks Oatmeal and cwg, I appreciate it.

I noticed that too, it seems the grease Jon used is yellow in color. I could clean it up and use my nice white grease for aesthetic purposes!

Lineman

Dec 31, 2010
VA
Brazo said:
Oh, hope you didn't take that comment as a criticism.

Only 2 things I'd of done different is go with Leupold/Burris DDs and a Timney vs the Jewell.

That just a personal preference though...

I'd leave the Leupy on, for a hunting rig too...but again that's just me.

Brazo

Mar 29, 2013
The Keystone State
Lineman said:
Brazo said:
Oh, hope you didn't take that comment as a criticism.

Only 2 things I'd of done different is go with Leupold/Burris DDs and a Timney vs the Jewell.

That just a personal preference though...

I'd leave the Leupy on, for a hunting rig too...but again that's just me.
No offense taken I was just genuinely wondering. There are many good choices out there and I consider that a good thing. I bet it will see some killing time this fall/winter!

go ahead

Jul 22, 2008
TN
Great rifle and choice of parts. I've been using jewell triggers more lately and like them. If they give me a problem I'll be the first to know it and do something about.

A m1 would be a simple add on to your nice scope. That scope is never a poor choice.

I like the 105 hornady. I've never shot the good'ins just blems but they do well...grin. I'm getting right at 3000 with mine from 6creed so you should get several more fps. Plenty of dead deer pics on this site to feel warm and fuzzy about killin with them too.

Brazo

Mar 29, 2013
The Keystone State
go ahead said:
Great rifle and choice of parts. I've been using jewell triggers more lately and like them. If they give me a problem I'll be the first to know it and do something about.

A m1 would be a simple add on to your nice scope. That scope is never a poor choice.

I like the 105 hornady. I've never shot the good'ins just blems but they do well...grin. I'm getting right at 3000 with mine from 6creed so you should get several more fps. Plenty of dead deer pics on this site to feel warm and fuzzy about killin with them too.
Thank you and best of luck with your new 6 Creed. I had seen some pics of it and remember admiring it. 3000 with that bullet is a great place to be and will have to share my hunting experiences with the 105. Like you said, I am expecting to be happy with them.

Brazo

Mar 29, 2013
The Keystone State
Thanks again guys, I have learned a lot on here. I'll be trying some 105 A-Max's with RL-17 in the next week or two and will report my results.

Brazo

Mar 29, 2013
The Keystone State
I've only tried 105 HPBT and RL-22 so far in formed cases. They did well enough, 3/4"-1.25" or a little bigger but figure I can improve on that. I also seemed to hit pressure a tad sooner than others' report but differences in barrels, chambers, and powder lots can contribute to that as you said. This combo did best with 45 gr RL-22.

Decided to try the 105 A-max's and RL-17 after you mentioned it. I loaded up 43.5, 44, and 44.5 of RL-17. Kissing lands at 2.760".

go ahead

Jul 22, 2008
TN
How is the reticle in the 6x compared to the 10x we picked up a couple years ago? Only reason I ask is compared to the swfa 3-15 the 10x sucks in low light. That was a side by side yesterday. I like the 10 and it doesn't really matter the rifle it's on but wouldn't put that particular scope on a hunting rifle. Time will tell on the 3-15 but first 3 impressions is very good.

Thanks for the lever tip btw. Shot 15 or so rounds yesterday starting at 25.5 went to 26. No shots went out of the inch square. This was forming too. Didn't check speed because yall say it's as fast or faster than 15. I'll check a few next time out of curiosity though.

go ahead

Jul 22, 2008
TN
In fairness the 10x was as good or slightly better than a 3.5-10 Leupold and I don't consider that a bad place to be. The 3-15 swfa just really stood out gathering light and a bold reticle.

Big Stick

Nov 18, 2007
Paradise
The 6x MQ cain't be whooped for Utility Killing. We drug a pile of different glass out(Reupold/Fixed Fuckers),trying to see when the MQ puked in relation and noone could make it happen. When it got lost,everything that wasn't illuminated got lost and that was 5 sets of eyes.

I'm soooooooooooo fucking done with variables.

Lever do shine brightly...............

Cuando

Oct 23, 2014
I just grabbed a 6x Milquad and it definitely is more picky on eye relief compared to the Leupold 6x42. Zero stop is so completely off the charts cool I might get over it pretty quick once I start actually shooting distance with it. Now if I could just get this RRA 18" Varmint to shoot 75 HPBT and Lever I might have something.

Big Stick

Nov 18, 2007
Paradise
NOTHING hangs with Reupie 6x42 eye-relief/acquisition.

Just walked through the door and made a quick pass looking for my BHW MK12 spout and cain't see it..................

4th_point

Dec 4, 2013
Oregon
Never had a problem with the 6x Super Bird eye-box, but the FX-3 does set a high bar. 10x Super Bird is a different story, but I still have a soft spot for that scope in the SWFA line-up.

The 3-15x MQ is a decent scope, but optically I didn't find it that good in terms of resolution or brightness. But that was a sample of one. What does not inspire confidence is the SF. There's one o-ring protecting the guts from atmosphere and its dangling on the port side... ready to take a whack. It ain't built like a turret, and seems a bit more fragile. In comparison, the rear focus seems more robust and if nothing else more protected.

All that to say that I'd have much more confidence in a FF than the 3-15x.

Big Stick

Nov 18, 2007
Paradise
Beano is gonna slam a 10x MQ aboard his Montucky 280AI,as THE Sheep Rifle. He says it squirts 162's beyond favorably and he drew the best tag in da' bidness.

Be curious to see/hear them reports,in a week or so.

Benysahn followed suit and tripped his Reupolds on his Mountain Rifles....................

Big Stick

Nov 18, 2007
Paradise
I wouldn't even know where to begin,to look for it.(grin)

He then went build crazy and just mighta figured some shit out.................

Big Stick

Nov 18, 2007
Paradise
He did a wee bit better,when schlepping my Ti 7-08 and finished strong.

Actually managed to fuck me outta that rifle...............

starsky

Jul 17, 2012
Colorado
Got one of the 3-10 NF SHV's on my 7mag, while I haven't shot it much, clickability seems pretty good... Gonna air it out on a dink black bear in CO next week. Never shot one of the NXS's...

go ahead

Jul 22, 2008
TN
starsky said:
Got one of the 3-10 NF SHV's on my 7mag, while I haven't shot it much, clickability seems pretty good... Gonna air it out on a dink black bear in CO next week. Never shot one of the NXS's...
I've not used the shv yet but sounds like yall that have them like them. I've got a 32mm nxs on my 280AI and 42mm nxs on my 6creed. Like them so far zs is like a brick wall clicks are more positive than anything I've used. Really really like the illumination feature. First year to have them so not had a chance to do any killing with them yet. Guess the 32mm will be up first for Colorado first rifle.

go ahead

Jul 22, 2008
TN
Oh I'll pick one up to try. It'll have to be a total different creature than the 10x to blow my mind though.

Big Stick

Nov 18, 2007
Paradise
Hope the weather treats you right...and better than me.

Lookin' like I'll pass shoot one in Class 5 rapids,given the current conditions.............(grin)

teal

Dec 16, 2007
Missing, presumed dead.....
Weather was fair to middlin here today.

Saw this gentleman today out salmon fishing on Lake Michigan ---

Don't know how far out he went but good fishing is usually miles off and he didn't look that tired. Guessing it was a booze cruise away from the wife more than a meat run...

Big Stick

Nov 18, 2007
Paradise
Had he walked away from that,here today...he'd of needed a Drone to get a locate on it again...............(grin)

teal

Dec 16, 2007
Missing, presumed dead.....
There ain't much freeboard there - I'd check the bottom first...

Been a foggy sucker here the last week. Today was the first day I could see farther than 30/35 feet.

Sat night, was down to about 5 feet. Literally.

Fogbank this dude's running into

Big Stick

Nov 18, 2007
Paradise
The IFR planes shut it down,right after daylight this morning and the VFR guys called it...days ago................(grin)

starsky

Jul 17, 2012
Colorado
starsky said:
Update: it worked...grin

Big Stick

Nov 18, 2007
Paradise
Passed a few and got weatherchow. Wasn't looking for "A Bear"...but "THE Bear" and was prolly a bit too picky.

Should be even better on the next pass.................

starsky

Jul 17, 2012
Colorado
Didn't have time to be picky on this pass, at the airport now waiting for a flight back to school... Bear was pretty solid, as far as Colorado bears go.

Lineman

Dec 31, 2010
VA
Came back to check out this rifle one more time...like it more every time I look at it.

Just curious to how it's coming along?

Brazo

Mar 29, 2013
The Keystone State
Brazo said:
I've only tried 105 HPBT and RL-22 so far in formed cases. They did well enough, 3/4"-1.25" or a little bigger but figure I can improve on that. I also seemed to hit pressure a tad sooner than others' report but differences in barrels, chambers, and powder lots can contribute to that as you said. This combo did best with 45 gr RL-22.

Decided to try the 105 A-max's and RL-17 after you mentioned it. I loaded up 43.5, 44, and 44.5 of RL-17. Kissing lands at 2.760".
As usual Stick nailed it with his recommendation of 44.5gr RL-17 and the 105 A-Max kissing the lands at 2.760". More than acceptable groups for hunting although the surrounding power charges were kinda all over the place and I really don't know why. Maybe shooter error but I'm talking flyers left and right, maybe just needs to break in more.

Oh and after the second loading of 105's in formed cases I had a couple of split necks on my Lapua 243 Win brass. Am I doing something wrong while sizing or otherwise to cause this?

Anyways, I definitely love the feel of the rifle and its just about perfect for what I use it for. An edge and a #2 Hart are a winning combination in my opinion. I just need to keep working on ol' dad and sneak the 6x MQ on :)

Thanks for the kind words

Big Stick

Nov 18, 2007
Paradise
A Handy/Dandy Rifle ain't tough to swoon.

Never had a Lapooey neck splittin' issue...but no matter the brass,bushings is the kindest/gentlest form of persuasion...............

Lineman

Dec 31, 2010
VA
I had the itch, but not the scratch so had to go the cheap version.

Should be a shooter though, this was 5 @ 200 with first load.

Big Stick

Nov 18, 2007
Paradise
Nice place to hang RVF's as a minimu,or EF's(better yet)...so as to eek ring spacing.

You are on the ball with DD PosiLigns...............

Pat85

Mar 8, 2015
Pa.
I will probably go with a Borden action again. Want to try a Benchmark barrel this time.

Lineman

Dec 31, 2010
VA
Thought damn sure I had some reversibles here somewhere. Same with +,- 20 inserts.

Ive got a bad habit of giving shit away and then needing it a year later.

Pat85

Mar 8, 2015
Pa.
I,am going to build it as a twin to my .223 AI. Want to be able to carry in a rifle scabbard of my saddle if need be.

Pat85

Mar 8, 2015
Pa.
I'am finding that out also. Going to throw something together with that 6mm douglas #6 contour and thats it with heavy contours for me.