data-csrf="1714342305,d6f88a5fcc97bb0e9b8b7512c7a306a4" A Dab WILL Do You................... | As Real As It Gets

A Dab WILL Do You...................

Big Stick

Nov 18, 2007
Paradise
The beauty of driving a McMillan and the modest amount of bedding requisite,to steal the show.

Fucking Factory tube punched 223AI,but we'll save that discussion for a rainy day.

Doodling on the interior,was via discussion with Dan-O yesterday when I laid it up and the differences inherent in working with a handle other than McMillan.

A 1 beer affair,if only obviously..................

Big Stick

Nov 18, 2007
Paradise
SteelBed,of course.

Stock was ordered to accept an oversized lug and recoil induced striations forward of the lug,are surefire telltale indicators of unwanted movement going on. Never bedded the handle,as it was an easy way to compare/contrast many things up to and including a #6 contour.

Let pards borrow it as a Try Stock of sorts,as the 3-way butt allows the best way to make an LOP declaration upon one's A5 order,when going fixed butt(the only way to fly,other than for fucking around in this manner).

She answered alotta questions,in short order..................

Big Stick

Nov 18, 2007
Paradise
I don't do anything,that don't need did. This one has zero bedding anywhere,other than that which is pictured.

Have yet to own a McMillan,who's inletting compromised the receiver from laying square & stress free. The lug recess may need attention,but that is easily determined.

I treat Walnut and lesser synthetic handles differently................

Big Stick

Nov 18, 2007
Paradise
For conversation.

The other day I tried to ruin a few rifles and they got beat the fuck up pretty good,so I did the unthinkable and cleaned them.

My 25-06AI wears a KS McMillan MR handle that is FL bedded and it was fairly haggard below the stock line. I took some Xtra Coarse SteelWool and scrubbed hunks/chunks of rust off of both the receiver and barrel,as well as outta the stock.

Regreased the recoil lug(Chinese Secret),CorrossionX'd most everything else and retorqued it Vodka tight.

Roundeye ran me out of shells in it the following day and admittedly made some pretty fucking good shots,less a scope correction after reassembly.

Gotta like that................

Big Stick

Nov 18, 2007
Paradise
My stance is simplistic,regarding squigglies.

One is not going to add structural integrity to a McMillan handle,by grinding out existing glass and replacing same with bedding compund. Compression is a NON-issue,as well(KS excluded).

So it makes zero sense to me,to go to lengths to fuck up that which you've already got going for you. If the receiver rode cricked,due to inlet or receiver QC,I'm all for nipping it via skimbed. If it's fine,I'm happy to take the money and run.

Now a Factory Walnut inlet,is ALWAYS going to be a helter skelter affair,rich in slop. It is also going to be poorly sealed from the elements and will typically compress as well...especially over time.

When bedding a live handle(wood),I look to establish an inlet ride height and use the existing wood to ascertain that. I hog out the shit not doing that and look to ADD structural integrity into the equation,as bedding compound certainly trumps Walnut in relative strength and in fending recoil impulse.

Typically,I'll FL bed the thing,from tang to fore end tip,as a means of nipping several matters tidily. Firstly,you make an exact cast of the barreled action,into that sloppy inlet. Secondly,you seal the live handle from atmospheric abuses.

The squiggles are loose generalizations,regarding what/where material would be gone,in a live example,as opposed to a McMillan.

Have been knowed to pour pillars at the same time................