data-csrf="1714336402,e8ae6afac34553aa1299a630e7723847" Any of you ever had Gout | As Real As It Gets

Any of you ever had Gout

pullit

Nov 18, 2007
shellfish is what I think set this case off. I made cheese grits and BBQ shrimp Sat. night. I tried to wipe shrimp off the map single handed....
Doc has called in an Rx for me to pick up on the way home....

Paul H

Nov 19, 2007
Alaska
Visit site
Yeah, and it hurst like a bitch. Drink a couple quarts of black cherry juice, and if that doesn't help, go to the doc and get a prescription for some gout medicine. I had my summer vacation semi screwed up via a gout attack.

It typically attacks the joint in the big toe on the right foot, swells up and hurts like hell. Icing it only makes it worse, as it just causes more of the uric acid to chrystalize.

My attacks seemed to be a combo of meat, red wine, and a desert with ice cream.

If you're also overweight and maybe sufferening from high colestorol, serious check out the south beach diet. I lost 10 pounds in two weeks, eat more meat than I had in the past, no gout and my cholesrol dropped from 326 to 206, with no meds. I also feel more energetic.

pullit

Nov 18, 2007
Had a buddy tell me about the Black Cherry juice, I will be picking that up as well. Mine is in the right foot but in the heal. I swear it would hurt to walk on pillows right now....

pullit

Nov 18, 2007
will check out the south beach diet as I am overweight and out of shape (unless round counts as a shape).....
Colestorol is good (believe it or not)

Muskegman

Nov 22, 2007
Northern S.E. Alaska
I started getting gout in my late 20's.

Hurts like a SOB - until you've had a kidney stone. Don't ask me how I know - I just do. I remember the weight of the bed sheet on the outside of the big toe joint was enuff to make you cry.

I take Allopurinol daily. There are other meds you can take - this is not one you take when having a gout attack. There are some you can to make it go away once an attack is in progress. Drink lots of fluids (cherry juice is a good one) take the best anti-inflammitory you can get (Aleve is o.k.) and stay off the red meat for a while. It'll pass in a day or two.

I'd suggest getting some bloodwork done while you're having the attack. This will confirm whether your uric acid level is elevated. Then your Doc can help you with meds, if that's the way you want to go. The pain is caused by the uric acid crystals forming in your big toe joint. They are needle sharp!

megabucks

Nov 19, 2007
Visit site
Start pounding the water down as much as you can. The aleve is for the crystals(pain) you are having now. Only take aleve with the advice of your Doctor. The first time I take 1500mg and then go down to 500mg. Severe attacks can require a more robust painkiller. The water and black cherry juice is to help get your uric acid levels down and prevent the further accumulation in your joints.

Whenever your feel the twinge just get yourself flushed with water quickly. You still may hurt but it won't last as long. Gout can last from 1 to 10days. Pea soup set off a real lengthy attack since I had it for dinner and two lunches while an attack was beginning.

Alcohol, red meat, shellfish, legumes affect your uric acid levels.

Dehydration or a significant illness can also increase uric acid levels.

Good luck.