data-csrf="1714230844,71083cd2cd9fb9b83e4fc90c0da561e3" Any reason NOT to run DBM? | As Real As It Gets

Any reason NOT to run DBM?

Supper

Jun 2, 2008
WY/UT
I've got a project I'm tired of gathering dust with specs as follows:

SS 700 .473 short action
Brux 1:8 #3 6mm
Huber Concepts single stage 2.5lb
CDI Precision DBM
and either a McM Game Scout or Sako 75.

I guess you could say I'm not 100% convinced to go with the Game Scout and the DBM, as if I'm running the Sako Hunter stock will most likely do another Badger Ordnance hinged floor plate.

All of this will culminate in another 243AI.

Tanner

Jan 24, 2013
Colorado
I can't think of a reason to run a DBM for a 243 on a 700, unless for whatever reason you're in need of a bunch of rounds really quickly and plan on running 10rd mags. I use one (Seekins) on a 6.5 SAUM, but that was only out of absolute necessity due to COAL restraints in the short action.

I'd stick with the blueprint you've got there but run ADL bottom and a Sako Hunter in Edge Fill. Think you'd end up with a way handier rifle.

Tanner

Big Stick

Nov 18, 2007
Paradise
Supper said:
I've got a project I'm tired of gathering dust with specs as follows:

SS 700 .473 short action
Brux 1:8 #3 6mm
Huber Concepts single stage 2.5lb
CDI Precision DBM
and either a McM Game Scout or Sako 75.

I guess you could say I'm not 100% convinced to go with the Game Scout and the DBM, as if I'm running the Sako Hunter stock will most likely do another Badger Ordnance hinged floor plate.

All of this will culminate in another 243AI.
I like Marty's steel M4's,but don't think much of his alloy version...mainly because I've got both.

The GS handle does nothing for me,especially wearing a Brux #3(and I've shot 'em up to VS contour). The Sako Hunter is filled right the fuck up with a Brux #3 and a short shank,which is all but a #4 Douglas and I've had the handle in both contours. With a modest barrel length,balance can be nailed.

#3 Brux 1-8" 23",Atlas DBM(alloy),Marty double-lugged 20MOA clip-slotted rail,Sako Hunter medium-ish filled,MK4 3.5-10x M1,TPS steel rings,short fucking shank,6-284,yada,yada,yada.

If spec'ing a 243AI,I'd happily follow suit at 22" and go PT&G M5 Stealth DBM and real AICS 5rd mags(they are tougher than fuck). CDI is purty low on my DBM list.

A steel Marty M4,largely weighs what a Stealth alloy DBM and 5rd AICS mag do. DBM's are handy to pack extry ammo in and a 5-rounder in the belly and an extry in the pack,is enough to both start and win a War. The added COAL latitude is never going to hurt the equation,as boolits ONLY improve in one direction and that's by getting longer.

Never knowed anyone to DBM a 243AI/105 melding and wish they had not..................(grin)

Big Stick

Nov 18, 2007
Paradise
Tanner said:
I can't think of a reason to run a DBM for a 243 on a 700, unless for whatever reason you're in need of a bunch of rounds really quickly and plan on running 10rd mags. I use one (Seekins) on a 6.5 SAUM, but that was only out of absolute necessity due to COAL restraints in the short action.

I'd stick with the blueprint you've got there but run ADL bottom and a Sako Hunter in Edge Fill. Think you'd end up with a way handier rifle.

Tanner
At 22" and in a more svelte contour,I could stomach it...but I really don't EDGE.

Balance,balance,balance..............

longdog

Nov 16, 2014
Exactly. I have a 22" MR contour, 6x45 chamber,in a Sako Hunter edge fill that is just right. With a beefier contour, I think I'd skip the edge.

Big Stick

Nov 18, 2007
Paradise
'Bout where I'd wanna be.

How fast do it scoot 105's?

I've got an 18.5" Montucky 1-8" Bart' dupe in the works,if only to mix shit up a smidge..............

longdog

Nov 16, 2014
I got it as a 9"twist, and I've stuck with 80 x bullets and 335. Almost 2800. Haven't tried lever, but I might. It's a real handy rifle for "closer" range.

Supper

Jun 2, 2008
WY/UT
I guess I wasn't clear in the first post, I have no interest at all in ordering anything new. Which means I'm fucked with either the alloy M4 or the CDI DBM combined with either of the stocks above mentioned.

This is a gun that is coming together with the desire to not drop any further coin on parts, including loading equipment, which limits me to all items on hand with a caliber already in the stable.

Brazo

Mar 29, 2013
The Keystone State
I have a #3 Hart 280 AI sitting in a Mcmillan new remington hunter (Sako Hunter) and it fits great. It is in standard fill (swirl). Balances nicely.

Good luck.

longdog

Nov 16, 2014
A Pac nor #3 280ai at 23" is really nice in a standard fill McMillan sako hunter. Then again, a fluted Pac nor #3 280ai at 22" is really nice in a McMillan classic edge fill, too! Both balance well, just one is heavy and one is light.

Big Stick

Nov 18, 2007
Paradise
Supper said:
I guess I wasn't clear in the first post, I have no interest at all in ordering anything new. Which means I'm fucked with either the alloy M4 or the CDI DBM combined with either of the stocks above mentioned.

This is a gun that is coming together with the desire to not drop any further coin on parts, including loading equipment, which limits me to all items on hand with a caliber already in the stable.
I prolly weren't clear either.

The alloy Badger M4 will getcha' (2) PT&G Stealth DBM's easily. The CDI will reap one and a coupla boxes of boolits. There's NO added expense in doing it right.

The Sako stock patterns wins easily by default and is always a prime candidate...when contour(bore sizing) allows.................

Supper

Jun 2, 2008
WY/UT
Big Stick said:
The CDI will reap one and a coupla boxes of boolits.
In that case, just tell me where to ship it...

Next thing to figure out is where to sell the Game Scout, as its been in the closet since the damn things came out and hasn't horned me up one bit yet.

Big Stick

Nov 18, 2007
Paradise
Dangle it on the Classifieds,for the loot requisite,so the good shit is free.

Midway let's the M5 Stealths go for $99 often and $129 is their regular price.............

remsen

Dec 9, 2007
Danville, CA
I've got an 700 ADL sitting around and was thinking about the possibilities, all of which include a new stock and DBM, but I came across this on the Remington website:
Overview
We do not recommend or endorse retrofitting any ADL or BDL style rifle to a detachable magazine system. The receivers are milled differently internally, and the conversion, if done, will generally affect reliability of cycling. There are several kits available on the market, but as mentioned, the reliability of the gun can suffer from this conversion.

I know that the companies like to do whatever it takes to get you to spend more money on their offerings, but is this really true? There's a difference between the receiver on a BDL versus one with Rem's own detachable magazine? It sounds like bullcrap to me, but I figured I'd check with those who know better before buying this line.

16Bore

Feb 11, 2010
Virgina
You can ADL a BDL or BDL an ADL, but you can't ADL or BDL a DBM. You can tune a piano but you can't tuna fish.

cwh

Administrator
Nov 18, 2007
Anchorage
Regardless of ADL, BDL, DBM, or DMZ... your warranty will be void if you shoot "reloads".

But yeah, doesn't matter. Factory DBMs are different, otherwise go to town.

I can tuna fish.

Ochoco

Nov 18, 2007
CO
If you have the misfortune of acquiring a factory Remington DBM, you're stuck with it.
However, if you use any of the aftermarket DBM bottom metal, there is no need to modify the feed rails or alter the rifle in any way that would prevent you from reverting back to the original ADL/BDL configuration.

remsen

Dec 9, 2007
Danville, CA
Ochoco said:
If you have the misfortune of acquiring a factory Remington DBM, you're stuck with it.
However, if you use any of the aftermarket DBM bottom metal, there is no need to modify the feed rails or alter the rifle in any way that would prevent you from reverting back to the original ADL/BDL configuration.
Thanks, this definitely clears it up. I didn't realize that Remington nukes the feed rails on its DBM receivers. The aftermarket solution is what I was aiming for anyway.

If there is a bit of useful information I can't get from someone here, my eyes aren't open when I'm reading. Obliged to all.

Oatmealsavage82

Nov 15, 2011
Alberta Canada
Yeah I found out the hard way about the lack of feed rails on the dbm models. Wanted a bdl for the build and ended up having to use HS precision bottom metal. It's nice shit turns out.

Big Stick

Nov 18, 2007
Paradise
If you are L/A,the OEM DBM isn't a bad way to fly,despite the naysayers. In S/A,more COAL can be gained by going with a DBM that eats AICS flavored mags.

I'd rather DBM than BDL....................