data-csrf="1638981901,0cb09235e30e994bb4fd10f806ff90ec" Athlon first impressions.... | As Real As It Gets

Athlon first impressions....

Al Nyhus

Dec 30, 2008
....well, not exactly as I have a couple other Athlons already and have been impressed.

This one is their Argos Gen II 10-40X56 BR scope with the long range BR reticle. W/E clicks are more like clunks...very, very solid. The parallax is smooth, adjusts well and repeats. Ditto on the occular focus. Glass is very nice even at 40X. The reticle is a bit busy for me but the center dot at .09" @ 40X should be about perfect. Fit/finish is on par with scopes at triple the price.

Tomorrow is going to be a little stormy so Thursday looks like a earliest chance. It's going on one of my 22BR's so it won't be hard to tell if all is copacetic. -Al

Painless

Administrator
I picked up the Athlon Ares BTR 4.5x27x50 GEN 1 a few years ago while I was waiting on an NF I had on order to come in. I put it on a heavy 223AI and the damn thing just works. Glass is good, very repeatable at the time I was in it for less than 900.00 bucks so it has been well worth the loot.

Reactions: Al Nyhus

Al Nyhus

Dec 30, 2008
Scope tracked perfectly and returned to zero every time. Parallax corrected nicely with a large 'sweet spot'.* Glass is clear and sharp and the reticle stays sharp after adjusting the occular.

Good shootin'.:) -Al

*How fussy the parallax is after correcting is a good indication of lens alignment on any scope that has a parallax correction...whether it's on the objective, side or at the rear.

Reactions: 7mmMato2

hangunnr

Administrator
Dec 12, 2007
Flatlandia
Looking at their 2-12 offering, like everything about it until you get to the reticle. Put a standard Mil, MOA or even basic duplex and they would be damn near perfect in that price range.

hangunnr

Administrator
Dec 12, 2007
Flatlandia
Just canā€™t like the donut.....

Used a similar reticle in a Vortex (gaspšŸ˜³) on my AR for several years and just couldnā€™t warm up to it.

Al Nyhus

Dec 30, 2008
Looking at their 2-12 offering, like everything about it until you get to the reticle. Put a standard Mil, MOA or even basic duplex and they would be damn near perfect in that price range.
If you can do a 1" tube, the Argos has a Duplex available. I've got one of those and like it. The price is stupid cheap. -Al

Dan In Alaska

Nov 30, 2007
Anchorage
With all this Athon talk, I finally caved. I ordered a 6-24x Cameraland is closing out: Athlon Optics Argos BTR 6-24x50 - ATMR FFP IR MOA

That's a whole lot of letters for $250, so it has to be good, right? :LOL:

I'm going to slap it on the 6.5 I had built this past winter, and see how it compares with the SWFA 10x that's on it, now.
The scope arrived today, and I thought that was mighty fast for Cameraland's free ground shipping option. Well played.

The 2-12x BTR Gen2 Mil is your bitch.

Plum amazin'.............
I wanted to try a little more magnification, this go-round. A buddy is trying to get me to join him at some 600yd matches next summer, shooting on JBER, so I hoping this scope works out well-enough for that game. I guess we'll see.

Big Stick

Nov 18, 2007
Paradise
Can't know,as I've never seen/shot one. In broad brush strokes,MOA is a Bitter Pill...though that reticle is MUCH better than most.

Whirl/twirl and spill your guts................

Dan In Alaska

Nov 30, 2007
Anchorage
Shot my 6.5 with the new Athlon scope today. Sight-in was easy. I peered down the bore, lined it up with the target at 100yds, and got on paper with the first shot. To zero, I counted the 1" squares on the target, and dialed accordingly. Two shots, and I was done.

The side parallax adjustment was smooth and easy to dial. The rear focus took care of the rest, so everything was sharp and clear.

I shot my fixed 10X SWFA side-by-side with the 6-24x Athlon (I put the 10x on one of my .223s). Right off, I noticed that the Athlon had a much more forgiving eye-box, even at higher magnifications, than the SWFA. The Athlon provided a better image, as well. I've always liked the 10x SWFA, but it kinda sucked in the side-by-each comparison. That surprised me.

I didn't do any turret dialing, tracking tests, or anything like that. I will check it out next time, though.

My overall impression of the Athlon is very good. I could do without the illuminated reticle, and the ugly "knob" on the eyepiece. But, for $250, I like this scope more than my fixed 10x. At this price, I can see me getting another one for my heavy-barrel 223. I'm also more inclined to try some of Athlon's other offerings. I wonder how the Argos BTR 1-4x compares to SWFA's 1-4x?

In broad brush strokes,MOA is a Bitter Pill...though that reticle is MUCH better than most.
I need to find a tutorial on MOA versus MIL, and see what all that jazz is about. I just haven't had a strong need to fool with any of this stuff before, but I should probably learn what there is to know.

Reactions: dznnf7 and Al Nyhus