Bigger bore AR

Dan In Alaska

Nov 30, 2007
Anchorage
All of my ARs are of the normal 5.56/.223 variety. I've got some GMXs and TSXs to work up some loads for an upcoming hog hunt, in April.

The trip seems like a great excuse to build a bigger-bore AR, so I ordered up an 18" .300 Ham'r barrel from Wilson Combat.

I planned on ordering up some Starline brass, just for simplicity sake, but last night I got impatient and started trimming some .223 cases. Yeah, I'm definitely going to order up some Starline brass. Trimming cases just sucks!

A few bullets were recommend from other pig hunters, and most of them are readily available on local shelves. So, I'll start off with Speer's 125gr TNT and/or 130gr Hot-Cor bullets. They're certainly cheap and supposed to be really effective on pigs. The Barnes 110gr TAC-X looks interesting, as well.

I haven't found any CFE-BLK, yet, but Accurate 1680 is supposed to work well, too. Sporty's has this powder, and previously mentioned bullets, in stock.

Anyway, I think it'll be fun playing with something different.

hangunnr

Administrator
Dec 12, 2007
Flatlandia
I’ve not shot or loaded for a Ham’r but have spent a bit of time with the 300blk with 2 of the three bullets you listed. I haven’t found a load yet that will make the 110 Barnes TacX shoot. The Speer gave decent accuracy but not enough to sway me in that direction. The Barnes 110TTSX shot .5 MOA from my bolt action but I don’t have enough velocity for expansion, the Wilson cartridge may get you there.

I’ve settled on the Speer 150gr Gold Dot, part number 308150BLKGDB. This bullet at super velocity has been consistently sub MOA in both my rifles and about 1.5 MOA in my pistol. Internet hunting reports have been positive on this bullet but I haven’t drawn blood with it yet.

I can’t see any reason the added velocity the Ham’r offers not being a good thing.

Were I going to do another AR upper it would be a 350 Legend.

Last edited:

Dan In Alaska

Nov 30, 2007
Anchorage
Thank you for the information on the lightweight Barnes .30 cal offerings. It takes some of the luster off the Tac-X.

I originally thought about the .350 Legend, but once I learned that the bullet diameter was .355" instead of .357" or .358" I stopped considering it. Reloaders are stuck using 9mm pistol bullets, instead of .357 magnum handgun bullets or .35 cal rifle bullets, and I'm not sure 9mm pistol bullets will hold up to .350 Legend velocities. For whatever reason, Winchester chose the .355" bullet diameter, and essentially created a proprietary rifle bullet.

Dan In Alaska

Nov 30, 2007
Anchorage
Google ".350 Legend .355 or .357" and there is enough weird and contradictory information, with regard to bullet/bore/groove diameter, to long outlast my interest in the cartridge. Because of this, I stopped considering the .350 Legend altogether.

I hope Winchester gets it right, though, because I think the .350 Legend could fill that "staight-wall cartridge" niche in some state's deer hunting regulations. In the meantime, I think I'll wait until the animals calm down before buying tickets to the circus. :D

I did think about the Grendel, by the way, and I do see one of those in my future. It's a good time to be playing with ARs, because I've never seen them cheaper. Damn things, anyhow...

hangunnr

Administrator
Dec 12, 2007
Flatlandia
Oh I understand, I’m sure they’ll eventually get it standardized.

Is Wilson offering any twist rates other than the 1-15 that they originally spec’d?

dznnf7

Apr 30, 2016
I bought a RAR 300BLK on a whim and for the life of me I can't remember why, or decide what it's good for. But it does/did shoot the TTSX's well, as well as Nosler 110 BT's. I should give it to someone I don't like....

Dude270

Dec 23, 2014
I dabbled with a whisper contender way back when and a BO recently. Came to my senses and went back to the 223. 223 is better at everything other than shooting subs.

Reactions: dznnf7

Dan In Alaska

Nov 30, 2007
Anchorage
Sporty’s had a few boxes of Hornady's American Whitetail factory ammo in .350 Legend, loaded with 170gr InterLocks. The guy at the counter was nice enough to break out a caliper and measure the bullet diameter for me, 0.355 inches.

Attachments

Big Stick

Nov 18, 2007
Paradise
I see .357" here.

It takes a BUNCH more than .001" or .002" to aspook me...especially when I'm at the controls of the Reloading Press...............(grin)

Dan In Alaska

Nov 30, 2007
Anchorage
I see .357" here.
I don't doubt you one bit, and that's just it. It seems like it's all over the place.

I haven't gotten my .300 Ham'r barrel or dies yet, so I can't comment on shooting it, but I am excited that I don't have to do anything to the rifle except a $200 barrel swap. It was recommended that I drive a Blackout magazine, with the fatter rounds, but they're cheap and easy to find. Suitable bullets are about 20-cents a pop, and powder charges are modest. It should be pretty cheap to shoot.

I stumbled into several pounds of CFE-BLK this afternoon, so I think I'm set, just waiting for parts.

dznnf7

Apr 30, 2016
Never have and probably never will, but I'd be an instant convert if it was an option for me. Probably saving me thousands to avoid it!

Firth

Feb 1, 2015
For what it's worth, Hodgdon's online data for the 350 Legend is mostly 0.355" bullets, but they do list data for the Barnes 125 TAC-XP, a 0.357 bullet.