data-csrf="1714348290,9c2bcda5af265aa96b1057c209ceffbd" Cerberus to buy Marlin? | As Real As It Gets

Cerberus to buy Marlin?

DPhillips

Nov 18, 2007
Alaska
Better than them goin' out of business because they can't make firearms worth a hoot... Or turn a profit. These companies are not non-profit organizations. If they can't turn a buck, they are out of business.

Cerberus VP in charge of acquisitions is an avid hunter and rifleman... Or so the story goes. Why the hell else would they be buying firearm manufacturers where the profit margin is between slim and dufus?

2muchgun

Nov 26, 2007
sittin' here drinkin' beer
DP---Make no mistake. Marlin turns a profit. People may not realize it, but they sell more .22rf's than any other company. Of course they are gonna portray their CEO or whoever as a hunter. Bet he shows up for the hunt in a Chrysler, too.........

DPhillips

Nov 18, 2007
Alaska
I don't know about the Marlin takeover, but I do know that Remington was on the downside of nowhere. They were looking at years of red and escalating costs, well above their price index. If it weren't Cerebrus, Remington wouldn't exist today, neither would Bushmaster.

I can't care any less about Marlin.

Big Stick

Nov 18, 2007
Paradise
What does Marlin make that's worth a fuck,besides the 39 22lr and it's crossbolt safety?

Lose that safety,do it in a laminate and all S/S and you'll have my full attention...though I'm not holding my breath.

Offer it in 17HMR and I'll border on being impressed...............

Big Stick

Nov 18, 2007
Paradise
Decent for what? Being loud,kicking hard and being a series of compromises?

I'd be slow to use those "laurels" as my Firm's saving grace...................

Big Stick

Nov 18, 2007
Paradise
Many pistole's of Today,are approaching the weight of a rifle and are far more ungainly,as well as being far more compromised in their Utility.

A guy can nearly throw a Ti on his back and forget it's there.....................

Big Stick

Nov 18, 2007
Paradise
I've carried alotta things,but never a pistol,when fretting my wellbeing.

Most can't shoot a rifle,let alone a fucking pistol...though it IS funny to watch....................

Violator22

Too true, I really get a kick out of the clowns here that buy these friggin Redhawk alsakans in 454 for Black bear, watched an idiot shoot his, bout came back and split his head open, I'm diggin my 7 1/2 incher, but anything less than 5 for that beast is too uncontrollable. I'll use mine for hunting and thats about it. Ain't no protection piece thats for damn sure. I like shotguns for the point and pull.

Big Stick

Nov 18, 2007
Paradise
The S&W Mountain Pistol is The Grail IMHO,regarding practicality.

Anything beyond that,is simply fucking stupid..................

Violator22

For carry, I'd have to agree with ya, my 45 Colt Redhawk is a heavy beasty, still I'm diggin the new 4" barreled version in 45 Colt. A bit heavier, but I'm a Ruger whore. I figure with either Redhawk, if I miss the fucker, they are heavy enough to beat the critter to death with. :D

Big Stick

Nov 18, 2007
Paradise
Ruger wheelguns thrive on abuse and are tough to beat for fun.

I can easily seperate fun from fretting my relative wellbeing and a rifle is unsurpassed in that role,so the choice is beyond easy.

I tried to get charged on one job for two months,by a Brownie that tree'd 3 guys on my crew. Toted my garand,expressly for the encounter,but was never lucky enough.

Carted M-14's,HK-91's and a large smattering of boltguns too,in various locales. Fucking near got eaten with a pistol in my hand and that soured me on that notion.

I can dig scatterguns for feathers,but not fur................

jds44

Nov 18, 2007
East of pullit, West of Painless
The .44 Mountain Guns are the shit. Mine generally lives on 7.5 grains of Unique behind a 240 cast SWC in .44 Special cases for play and a 265 grain Cast Performance WFN over a .44 Mag case full of 296 for flat hammering stuff.

Big Stick

Nov 18, 2007
Paradise
Was gonna go with a dry BHP and empties sprinkled around my carcass,but I got lucky and it didn't come to that. Had a DE 44 on the other hip,but could drive tacks with the BHP and was gonna bet the farm on CNS immobilization.

Started as a leisurely stroll out of Camp,after work and got fucking ugly fast,due to a Sow and two cubs and a squirrely 3yr old Boar.

Got caught in a pickle,with her one side,he on the other and none of it good. Managed the bluff charge deal,much posturing,some teeth/brush popping and aged a few years.

Didn't want to do the "Warning Shot" thing,as ammo conservation was a thought from the get-go.

Everything eventually went it's own way and I got away with a few lessons,though I thought them fairly expensive.

Pistols are for play............

Big Stick

Nov 18, 2007
Paradise
I'm lucky,as keeping a cool head never troubled me. Have seen lotsa shit,a few too many fuckers dead,a herd maimed bad,as well as some sporty shit Outdoors,along with mechanical airborn/weather airborn issues and some memories on the High Seas via various craft.

Have had adrenaline rattle my system after the fact,but never rake me during.

Me and Humper ran like little bitches from a Bear once,while his brother stood the ground and turned him...but neither of us was carrying any heat.

Perhaps another lesson there......................(grin)

2muchgun

Nov 26, 2007
Stick is right about the practicality of large handguns. I love my 480 SRH, but find it actually less convenient to carry afield than some of my rifles. I've had plenty of dumbasses look at the 480 SRH and ask me why I don't have a S&W 500. They are but a fucking novelty IMO. The Smith Mt Gun is one I have almost bought for years. Came close on many. I could also do a SRH Alaskan for side carry.

As far as a pure huntin' rig goes, I'm now 100% convinced that my Ruger Bisley Blackhawk in 45 Colt is the shit. It has a slicked up action/trigger with Wolfe springs installed and a grip made to my specs. It also wears "One Ragged Hole" aperture sight. A Freedom Arms ain't got nuthin' on it, IMO. Very hard to do better, and for the money, you can't........

jds44

Nov 18, 2007
I like that rig alot. Got any close-ups of it?

I had a 7.5'' Bisley .44 mag, a 5.5'' Bisley stainless .45 Colt, a 6'' FA .454, and a 7.5'' SRH .454, among others. The one I'd most like to have back is the 5.5'' stainless Bisley .45. I'm running a standard 5.5'' blackhawk in .45 Colt at the moment, but it just ain't the same as the Bisley.

toltecgriz

Nov 17, 2007
On the Santa Fe Trail
While I would never dispute the superiority of rifle versus handgun, all else being equal, the handgun has the advantage of availability if you lean that way. And some of us can actually hit stuff with them. S&W 29s have been companions for a long time.

2muchgun

Nov 26, 2007
I could like a 5.5" model. I went with the 7.5" only because of the longer sight radius. I'm tryin' to get good with it at long range. I'm no John Linebaugh, yet. Here's a couple other pics.......

After these pics were taken I installed a Belt Mountain Keith style locking base pin.......

Paul H

Nov 19, 2007
Alaska
Visit site
I'm going to get another SRH 480, and cut it down to 5". The 7 1/2" shoots scary well, but packability is compromised.

The only time I've been sceered of a bear was a big black bear that took offense to our dog making a racket while he was munching on huckleberries this summer. The bear was a good distance from the tent, but making some rather unfriendly sounds. I was left feeling wtf am I doing with a handgun.

Big Stick

Nov 18, 2007
Paradise
Have yet to meet the gent,that was better with a pistol,than he was the rifle.

And I consider myself a fairly fabulous pisolero...but it pales to what I can do with a rifle....................

jds44

Nov 18, 2007
That's a sweet rig. Don't know if I could dig the apeture on a handgun though. The secret to long range with a handgun is raising the front sight in the rear, how do you do that with an apeture?

2muchgun

Nov 26, 2007
You don't, really. It becomes more instinctive, like non-adj. sights. The aperture was actually put on for huntin' purposes with shots only out to 60yds. I've not yet fucked with tryin' to shoot long range with the aperture, really......

Big Stick

Nov 18, 2007
Paradise
As much as I shoot,there's no way that I couldn't be very good,as a minimum.

I think what accelerates the curve for me,is that I've a somewhat analytical outlook on things and shoot with an open mind,ALWAYS looking for a better way. Results simply interest me and I feel I have a fair to middlin' grasp on the mechanics of same.

My eyes are the biggest pistole hurdle for me,but while wearing correctors,I can still do what I useta could and with regularity. With a dotsight,I can amaze myself and that takes some doing.

I think much of my trigger yanking skills,are due to the fact that the only mode in which I shoot is Practical. I'm not into the fluff bullshit and like to cut to the chase and routinely shoot realworld conditions. I practice tough conditions purposely and just simply shoot a whole fuck of a lot.

Have said often..."Spent primers are the Supreme Tutorial",though I'm ALL ears if someone can show me a better way...................

jds44

Nov 18, 2007
I think shooting a pistol on a regular basis makes a guy a better rifle shot. Back in the day when I put 500-1000 rounds a week through a .45, I didn't even need to shoot my rifles to stay proficient with them. Everything just felt so easy when picking up a rifle.

No doubt a rifle is a better tool, but handguns are a lot of fun.

Paul H

Nov 19, 2007
Alaska
Visit site
I've varied my shooting routine from several times a week, to a few times a year (building a boat cuts into loading and shooting time more or less) As a curious sort I've tried many platforms and chamberings, auto loading pistoles, SA, DA, contender, encore, and the same deal in rifles.

What I've found in that time is that even if I haven't shot in nearly a year, I can plunk a rifle on a rest and put 3 shots into an inch or so at 100 yds. Stick a handgun in my hands if I haven't been shooting and God help me hit stuff. With practice with a handgun I'd say I could hold about 4" at 50 yds shooting offhand, maybe with serious practice I could do that at 100 yds. Scoped off a bench I can shoot a hangun that's capable sub moa.

When I was in college I used to practice alot with an air pistol, and could pull off some pretty amazing shots, including behind the back etc. But I'd say a handgun takes 10 times the practice a rifle does. Even when I'm rusty I can outshoot 90% of the folks at the pistol range, which makes me wonder how folks expect to be able to shoot well enough to save their azz.

Now add one being a we bit excited related to a close and furry encounter and expecting to save your ass assuming you can only get off one shot, and what do you want in your hand, or hands? If you have to smell their breath before you can accurately place the shot, you've allowed them to be too close. Which gets back to my thoughts on pepper spray, if a bear is close enough for pepper spray to be effective it should be killed, and if the pepper spray don't work, you have no time for recourse.

Big Stick

Nov 18, 2007
Paradise
Humper called from work yesterday and we yacked for an hour straight,regarding clueless dumbfucks and their inabilities to choose a rifle/ammo and put either to use.

I mentioned the old adage..."Beware the man with 1 rifle",as the joke it is and countered "Be MORE aware of the guy with a few hundered,as he likely has a very good clue".

Now my stance is simplistic,as I figure as long as a guy is banging away with something,his skills aren't deteriorating. I've noticed through the years,that he trigger is routinely housed in an easy to find location,no matter the stamp on the shank.

There's much crossover via different disciplines/arms and I'm slow to make shit into something it isn't and shooting simply isn't Rocket Science.

I've taken more guys than I could begin to remember/count,gave them a 30second pep talk,set them behind a rifle and watch them do shit with their first shot,that they'd NEVER fucking dreamed of.

Send that man home with a shopping list,a shred of sense and a desire to learn and great things happen in short order.

I've a gift for filtering fluff..................

Big Stick

Nov 18, 2007
Paradise
Zero doubt in my mind,that the 22lr got me the farthest,the fastest.

The principles of hitting,extrapolate nicely across a wide smattering of chamberings/implements..................

2muchgun

Nov 26, 2007
Big Stick said:
I mentioned the old adage..."Beware the man with 1 rifle",as the joke it is and countered "Be MORE aware of the guy with a few hundered,as he likely has a very good clue".
I actually laffed out loud on that one. So fucking true.......