data-csrf="1714237380,f30cc1054daf9965ef0369857a782879" Finally did an Ackley.... | As Real As It Gets

Finally did an Ackley....

hangunnr

Administrator
Dec 12, 2007
Flatlandia
This one has been in the works for the better part of a year. This XP was a 300WSM with a highly fucked up chamber. I was going to do a 243WSSM but Mark wasn't happy with the bolt so I went the PTG route to a standard .473 bolt face.

Rem XP100 in 243AI with a 18" 7.5 twist Krieger, reserve RPM donchano...
The McM stock still needs a little color added but that can wait for now.
The rail is a cut down Ken Farrell 10MOA. There will eventually be a Leupold with M1 Pappy style elevation turret.

Mark Penrod did his thing and I'm sure it'll be a lazer.

CR

hangunnr

Administrator
Dec 12, 2007
Flatlandia
Already have a 6br lightweight.

Wanted a faster fat fucker this time around. Curious to see how fast I can push the 105s and the 90gr skinner..

CR

cwh

Administrator
Nov 18, 2007
Anchorage
What would be your thoughts on a 6-7mm (most likely 308 based) XP as a dedicated sheep "Rifle"? Also, general thoughts on mid vs rear grip?

Only XP I've shot was Dan's, and it was 221FB. It was pretty fun.

Big Stick

Nov 18, 2007
Paradise
hangunnr said:
Already have a 6br lightweight.

Wanted a faster fat fucker this time around. Curious to see how fast I can push the 105s and the 90gr skinner..

CR
Curious myself.

Get crackin'!.................

Big Stick

Nov 18, 2007
Paradise
cwh said:
What would be your thoughts on a 6-7mm (most likely 308 based) XP as a dedicated sheep "Rifle"? Also, general thoughts on mid vs rear grip?

Only XP I've shot was Dan's, and it was 221FB. It was pretty fun.
We all went through this years ago and it was a hoot...with 7-08's leading the charge.

For a Dedicated Killing Pistole,the rear-grip wins by default,because it has a fucking magazine. I personally much prefer midgrip ergo's and scopetitude,but ain't into carrying a round in the pipe.

A 20" Montucky 6BR,do alotta nice thangs with exceptionally mild mannerisms and stupid Precision. Having XP'd a bunch in numerous platforms,there's no way I'd consider it over a rifle for Real Deal Pursuits.

An 18" Montucky wouldn't aspook me,in more than a few chamberings and a 16-incher would still pound shit. Have shot alotta 7-08 and 308 in them lengths over the years...........

cwh

Administrator
Nov 18, 2007
Anchorage
Kinda what I figured....

As far as getting a bead on things without too much dicking around, how does a rear grip XP do? I'm guessing it has to be about 100X more dicking around than a montana with a reasonable scope, but never xp'd beyond what I mentioned above.

Big Stick

Nov 18, 2007
Paradise
If you invest the trigger time,you'll be rewarded. Getting good with a Hand Rifle takes some dedication,to be fluid/fast...but they are amazingly capable.

Toughest part is finding forgiving glass,that won't paint you in a corner by default,as all pistol glass sucks ass..............

hangunnr

Administrator
Dec 12, 2007
Flatlandia
Ain't much more to ad to what's been said.

Field shooting position is by far the biggest hurdle. Handgun glass is better than it used to be. Leupold got their shit together in the eye relief department with the current offering in 2.5-8. The first two Leupolds I had 20yrs ago were so bad I switched to Burris, on purpose.......

As far as calibers are concerned, anything 6br and up should work well. There are still a bunch of 7br's floating around out there that would be more than sufficient for the task. The factory plastic stocks leave a lot to be desired but that can be corrected with a call to McM.

CR

Big Stick

Nov 18, 2007
Paradise
I'd be real tempted to limp along with a 6x42 M1,especially with 6BR recoil...because you couldn't get in a bad way............

hangunnr

Administrator
Dec 12, 2007
Flatlandia
A lot of guys shoot rifle scopes on them. I'm not all that comfortable shooting like that. I tried it on my 6br off the bench and just couldn't warm up to it.

hangunnr

Administrator
Dec 12, 2007
Flatlandia
Had to fight off the urge to do a Picassos' nightmare paint job. Settled on a subtle texture and a coat or two of flat black Alumahyde II..

Should get a chance to do some fireforming tomorrow.

CR

hangunnr

Administrator
Dec 12, 2007
Flatlandia
The 6br's been eating them for damn near 20yrs, hope this one likes them.

Do you feel the need to anneal after the initial fire form?

CR

hangunnr

Administrator
Dec 12, 2007
Flatlandia
Got some fireforming accomplished today. Loaded moly'd 105 Amax on top of 43gr of IMR 4350 and varied seating depth from .001 off to .005 into the lands. These two groups were fired at 100yds. The speed wasn't where I expected but we'll see what happens with a little slower powder.

CR

hangunnr

Administrator
Dec 12, 2007
Flatlandia
Got out this morning with some loads in formed brass. Ran several loads with 4831SC and RL22 under moly'd 105 Amax and moly'd 90gr Scenar.

All loads tried went under 1 MOA but as velocity increased the group size shrunk with the RL22 and the Amax. The fastest load topped out at 2945 average for 5 and a 2 hole .441 group. There were no pressure signs so I may yet see the 3000+ I'm after. I'd venture a guess this pistol is capable of one very small hole if the shooter is up to the task.

48gr RL22, moly'd 105 Amax .002 into the lands, WLR primer in formed Lapua brass.

CR

Big Stick

Nov 18, 2007
Paradise
Had the Spark Plug Talk with a pard yesterday,that was troubleshooting his custom 243Win. He'd started out with 87 V-Max(which typically Agg rather well),but was gunning them with only 3 plug wires attached and unknowingly. I never load more than (5) pokes in advance,unless the load is PROVEN.

His 105's were outpacing his 87's and shit is always fucking happiest,when hitting on all cylinders..................

Big Stick

Nov 18, 2007
Paradise
All of them,GOTTA be plugged in,to reap the potential of any/all system(s).

Lotsa folks confuse headspace issues,with "pressure" and then they'll back of the throttle...which disconnects even more plug wires................

hangunnr

Administrator
Dec 12, 2007
Flatlandia
Pardon my ig-nance...... i assumed "spark plug" was a primer reference....

Getting enough fuel seems to be the only remaining hurdle.

CR

hangunnr

Administrator
Dec 12, 2007
Flatlandia
Local pusher had 200's in stock so they'll get their turn. I will do a comparison betwixt the different primers velocity wise to see first hand WTF.....

CR

tnv

Dec 25, 2007
TN
Too many posts of flame cutting on boards with W/W primers as of late. CCI for me...

Brazo

Mar 29, 2013
The Keystone State
Shot my first formed loads in my 243 AI. While working up to it, 48gr of 22 gave me a sticky bolt lift. Formed Lapua brass, 105 HPBT, 200's and moly. Loaded kissing the lands.

45gr is what it liked best.

Brazo

Mar 29, 2013
The Keystone State
Unfortunately I don't have a speed to report.

I am admittedly a beginner to the custom rifle, long range shooting game but have a pro chrono digital that I need to take out of the box and setup. I also need to learn come-up procedure, I have a ballistic program on my iphone and have been playing around with the free JB online. Maybe there is a tutorial online somewhere that has been posted.

My dad is up at our hunting property/cabin now with the rifle for some more testing. He has more reloads in tow.

I still owe you pictures of the rifle, will have some time tonight to get them up.

Thanks

Big Stick

Nov 18, 2007
Paradise
'22 can vary more than a smidge,lot to lot...in regards to relative burn rate and it's nice to buy in bulk,so as to nip that. Velocity tends to correlate to pressure and I never load more than (5) rounds at a time,less knowing it's velocity and only do that,when looking for pressure.

For conversation,I shoot 44.5grs of Re-17 in the same case,with the same bullet and same primer.

Right at 3200fps.

I've MUCH faith in JBM and key is,you gotta load good data in,to reap great data out. Reflecting back to a pard's Custom SAAMI 243Win the other day,I only shot (2) Re-17 powder charges through it,kept the winner,mass produced same and he was dead nuts on his CBS with a 906yd poke at 30+ degrees inclination(I had him dial in accordance to my Mildot Master's slide rule),which was 780yds of true dope. He blew his own mind,as the target was right at 1 MOA in size. Then I had him do it again,from a Harris 9-13" Swivel 'pod,so he could be warm/fuzzy about his stock and it's bedding pressure. I'd scribbled the comeups hastily for him,as we were walking out the door of the house.

JBM is fucking money................

Big Stick

Nov 18, 2007
Paradise
Should add...he was gunning Lapooey 308 hulls and positive headspace,105 A-Max smooches,Re-17,200's and 3096fps.

They'll touch at 100yds................

Brazo

Mar 29, 2013
The Keystone State
I have a nice little stash of 22 for that very purpose (same lot # for consistency). I also have some 17 and will load some up next go around from your suggested load. I am assuming 3200 is a good top end velocity for the AI and something to strive to get close to?

I always wondered about the inclination effect. My laser rangefinder (Leupold RX 1000 TBR) claims a true ballistic range calculation with built in inclinometer. Am I correct in saying that the reading is pre-adjusted for angle and just dial accordingly to what it spits out?

Big Stick

Nov 18, 2007
Paradise
Lotsa factors affect velocity and I don't strive to hit a given number,as much as making sure that shit is hitting on all cylinders.

Have never dabbled the Reupold LRF you cite,so cain't know what it do. The Leica CRF and Mildot Master both agreed on the inclination. With the Leica it reads the distance,then spits the inclination in degrees with a separate button and actuation.

Inclination reliably fucks with heads..................(grin)

hangunnr

Administrator
Dec 12, 2007
Flatlandia
Interesting developments this AM....

Shot 48, 48.5 and 49gr RL-22 loads this morning, 3 each with WLR and CCI 200's.

The CCI out paced the WLR and turned out one pretty decent group.

All loads were moly'd 105 Amax .002 into the lands.

48gr....WLR...2922fps average, CCI 200...2944fps

48.5gr...WLR...3006fps average, CCI 200...3019fps

49gr...WLR...3048fps average, CCI 200...3068fps

The 49gr loads both showed slight ejector swipe marks though bolt lift was still smooth and primers still looked OK, fwiw...

The 48.5gr load with CCI 200's turned out this .260" 3 shot group and is where I'll stay with this powder.

The lower target provided a YGTBFKM moment....

Finally got my mitts on some 200gr AccuBonds for the 358 WSSM. 47gr of Benchmark spits them out at a hair over 2600 and as you can see groups pretty well. That 3 shot cluster measured .231 c-c. The E.S for that load was 1.9fps. Kinda hard to believe as there is a .211 jump to the rifling with a load assembled to fit the factory magazine...

CR

Big Stick

Nov 18, 2007
Paradise
I'm afforded the luxury,of not being forced to guess and have yet to steer anyone wrong.

P.S. and by the way...it's "Toldjaso" and I just did...................(grin)