data-csrf="1714316110,ac6fcd9a0f2a9bfc7257ac5544ea7366" first buck of the season ... | As Real As It Gets

first buck of the season ...

WGM

Nov 22, 2007
Baton Rouge, LA
Rifle season opened here this Saturday ... Drove to camp right after lunch for an afternoon hunt on Sunday ... got out to my field about 3:15pm where I could overlook two little food plots, and a LOT of large areas of briar thicket. Sat patiently for two hours without seeing a damn thing - not even a squirrel or armadillo.

Legal hunting hours ended at 5:32, so about 5:10 I started really glassing like crazy as it was getting darker by the minute. Back and forth, back and forth for nearly 20 minutes straight ... stopping from time to time to check out certain areas. Then, like a damn ghost, with about three minutes before legal hunting hours ended, out of nowhere (as if they were beamed in a-la Star Trek), I see two very nice 'twin' bucks - both with very big bodies and decent racks. I just about crapped myself out of pure shock of going from nothing to two nice bucks in the blink of an eye!

Almost immediately after spotting them, the one in front disappeared into a large thicket area. The second one started to follow him, but took a bit different route that allowed him to remain visible while passing thru the thicket ... He came out seconds later about 80 yards from me, facing me head on and staring me down. He seemed more surprised to see me in his field than I was to see him and his twin brother moments before.

Well, of course, the rifle instantly came up and the shot was fired. Down he went after running (trying to run I should say) about 20 yards directly to my right, and then face planting dead in the middle of another briar thicket.

The shot impacted the buck (vertically) at shoulder level, and just barely favoring his right side. I was shooting my Ti stocked LVSF 7mm-08, loaded with 120g Vmax bullets (grabbed them by accident instead of my TSX loads) ... But truth be told the bullet performed brilliantly - not much meat damage and the heart/lungs were destroyed.

The whitetail buck weighed 200 pounds gross weight, 8 points (one brow tine is broken), and the rack while not too massive is just a hair under 15" inside clear spread... Not a monster mind you, but not a bad deer at all for this area ...

Here are a few pics ... please try to ignore the stupid grin on my face, as I was trying my best not to laugh my ass off at the guy taking my picture ... I've never seen someone have so much trouble with a simple digital 'snap shot' style camera ...

The Rifle and gear:

Me and the buck back at the skinning shack:

Some pics of the headgear (taken the next day) after caping him out:

WGM

Nov 22, 2007
Baton Rouge, LA
In an elevated box stand or shooting house, I'm quite sure the camo is irrelevant ... and that would likely be your point, yes?

Contrary to popular belief, not everyone in the south just goes out and sits in a stand (as you refer to) and hopes that a deer walks by and offers the opportunity to take a shot ...

Some of us choose to 'hunt' (read: scout) an area quite a few times prior to taking natural cover on the ground in an area we've scouted that looks promising ... which is the case in this instance ...

but, feel free to continue jabbing ... I'm more than comfortable with the way I 'hunt', and how I managed to tag that buck ...

WGM

Nov 22, 2007
Baton Rouge, LA
no ruffled feathers ... Scott constantly give me shit about everything I do, and don't do ... and while I know he's just poking fun, I just can't seem to let it go unnoticed ... of course, he knows that, which just perpetuates the cycle ... but I'll try to start responding in kind from now on ...

so, Scott and Paul ... blow me, and have a Happy Thanksgiving ... (grin)

Steelhead

Nov 17, 2007
Here
I've been telling you for a long time you are to 'chick'ish', just chill and don't go into the my pussy hurts rant and you'll be fine.........

WGM

Nov 22, 2007
Baton Rouge, LA
Paul ...

When you do transfer to the SE let me know and I'll take you to dinner so we can discuss camo ensembles for this region ... (Grin)

WGM

Nov 22, 2007
Baton Rouge, LA
A good pair of snake boots are essentially req'd ... Even when its warm you're going to want full coverage to keep the bugs off ... Lots of people have started using the 'bug suits' that are very light weight (basically tight netting that's been camo'd) ...

The pic of me above - it was a nice cool dry evening so all I was wearing was a light pair of cotton pants and shirt ... Worked well since it was cool enough to keep most of the bugs off ...

From the standpoint of hiw well the camo pattern matches the terrain, the cabela's outfitter camo pattern is the best I've seen for when our winters actually hit ... All those 'realtree' and 'mossy oak' patterns are ok if you're up in a tree, or if you're in a hardwood area during the warmer times ... But as with anywhere, as long as you're playing the wind right and using a tad of common hunting sense, you really don't need camo gear ...

Chris

Nov 20, 2007
Between the Mtns and the Plateau
I'd be more worried about chiggers and seed ticks than I would be about snakes. That Permanone you military guys can get is the SHIT! I sprayed enough on me in NC to make a normal guy sterile. Rubber boots and tucking your pants legs in is mandatory. They will still find your balls and places you cannot easily scratch so you might as well get use to that fact.

Parish

Nov 18, 2007
Luhweezy-ana
Ticks and/or chiggers on my balls are par for the course around here. It's enevitable if you spend time in the bushes from March to October. Maybe that would explain why my wife found a tick in her hair a few months ago.......

Don't sweat the camo comment WGM, I've been thinking of wearing a full Burger King uniform and shooting one from the truck window just to say I did it. Of course, I will be wearing it inside of my Scent-Lock suit. Nice buck, BTW, better than the 8pt I shot yesterday morning, but at least the pressure is off now. My brother and I are going to cheat and wait out by our corn buffet this afternoon to shoot some does for his freezer. Good luck to everybody.

WGM

Nov 22, 2007
Baton Rouge, LA
the camo thing is history ... I misunderstood, and all is now well ... like Paul, I'm not a huge fan of camo, but most of the best gear is in camo, so we have to deal with it ...

I'm happy with the buck I took, even though he's not a real bruiser ... but we have some VERY nice bucks on film via trail cams, and everyone at camp is juiced up about the possibilities. Right now, only two of us (of 20) have taken bucks this year ... the other was was 225lbs with a 16.5" spread and 9 points ... very nice deer, but like I said, there are bigger ones out there on our land ...

and truth be told, as of this year, we have a few feeders out in some food plots ... our doe population is way too large, and the DMAP guys told us we need to thin them out ... so the feeders are there to draw them in for easy shots - which is very nice for the kids and guests that just want to get some meat.

good luck in the Burger King gear ... (grin)

Parish

Nov 18, 2007
Luhweezy-ana
DMAP gave us 12 extry doe tags this year for our place, and there are only 4 hunters, counting myself. I'm hoping the meat grinder gets a good workout this year, but it is going to be pushing it for us to take all of our alloted deer (36) since two of the guys usually stick to archery throughout the season.