data-csrf="1714405539,4326a76346e28dff8fc9d37729c19425" Going To See Ken Howell Tomorrow | As Real As It Gets

Going To See Ken Howell Tomorrow

G

Driving out to see Ken tomorrow anyone have any messages they want me to deliver? Have wanted to meet him for quite a while -- will have a good time for sure..

Hopefully the weather will cooperate and I won't have to use 4wd!!

G

Yeah--something like that but at 8 mpg it would kill me to ride!

PM me your email and I will send you a copy of the article a magazine did on my bike.

My truck is an oil burner and does a lot better on the highway.

Going to haul some stuff out there as well so I need the room.

G

Very nice indeed!!!

I like to go fast very quickly and not to mention it sounds like a pro stock engine----the engine is a Scott Shafiroff 540 built to deliver a long flat TQ curve as the tranny has only 2 forward speeds. The bike has had virtually every part upgraded or fabricated to better get the power to the ground. 1st gear is where you twist the throttle the most and at 6200 you are rolling along at 147.

Pretty much as fast as I want to go. For pure speed the Busa is the ticket. :grin:
[/img]

G

Got back last night about 2:30 after a 1600 mile drive over 2 days but it was a real privilege to get to visit with Ken yesterday. Dr Howell is not in very good shape physically but his mind is still sharp and is a virtual walking encyclopedia of ballistics data and loading techniques! We discussed everything from our fathers who were pretty close in age to hunting, shooting and everything in between. I wish Ken was 30 years or so younger as we would have a great time together in the field, on the bench or just enjoying fine cuisine!

I will be finishing up a project that Ken had partially completed and will have it ready to hunt with next fall as well (ordering the parent 404 Jeffrey brass tomorrow) as have it at the Guild show next January. On the long drive home last night there was ample time to reflect on what a magnificent life Ken has been able to lead. Who among us would not be envious of his experiences from hunting with his other friends/legends in the industry to shooting especially, when having the knowledge and resources to elevate the later to the next level with respect to cartridge development?

Ken possesses a sprit that is independent, absolute and indomitable even when faced with his current physical challenges remains unabated now, as I am sure it was in his younger years. Our first meeting will always be remembered fondly and it can only be hoped that when I am at his stage in life I will be fortunate enough to posses his positive outlook. Ken is a person who I am privileged to call my friend.