data-csrf="1714382647,ca65bd354d93e23ccce28a9831aa0aaf" Good gear recommentations | As Real As It Gets

Good gear recommentations

Dave King

Dec 9, 2007
Maryland, USA
I believe most of us at one time or another desired good gear. Many also did an internet search and ended up knowing whatever the latest gear or hunting rag was touting as the latest hot shit. I'm not really interested in what someone is trying to sell to further their career, I'd like good gear recommendation based on first hand end-user hard use experience.

There are many items and situations I know and understand, I have good gear for and from this experience.

What I'm after now is good gear for situations I'm completely unfamiliar with, moderately cold wet hunting (I'm not a waterfowl hunter or wading fisherman).

I'm planning for a hunt in SE AK, I've been told to get breathable chest waders (sock foot) and other items for a wet weather hunt. I'd imagine gloves, coat/jacket, hat, fleece type long johns, etc, etc.

What's the best gear to get for use to wade about in salmon streams in the rain hunting bears??

TIA

(Pick good shit because when I finish this hunt I may just give the gear away, maybe to someone posting here, one never knows.)

Big Stick

Nov 18, 2007
Paradise
Marmot,UnderArmour,Patagonia and some Grunden...is my favorite shirt/panties layering. The shit breathes and keeps you warm.

I'm a fleece fanatic,because it is unrivaled in it's power to weight,heat ratio. It compresses well to boot and is very flexible in it's role(s).

I prefer neoprene waders,because of their warmth and versatility,though I've sets largely covering it all. Humper has some pullover hippers,that may be the way to go on an arduous Hunt,but I sure like the comfort/protection of neoprene. Hippers always seem to be the wrong height and I'm partial to a dry ass.

H/H Impertech rainwear is a mainstay and for good reason,as are Xtratuff boots. Throw a wrap of tape around the pant/boot juncture and a man can do a fair amount of wading,less concession. Their newest rainpant bib,has zippers along the leg and that'd be the way to go IMHO.

I pretty much live in a fleece or poly skullcap and as long as it'll cover my ears and stay put,I'm good with it. Am partial to UnderArmour and HH there for poly.

You will get wet,so it's beyond important in my book,to be strutting duds that work when wet and synthetic fibers steal that show................

caver101

Dec 10, 2007
NW GA
Painless said:
can someone tell me what "tag" means
Just a place holder so I can come back to this thread when I have time to type out a response. It puts the thread in the "my watched topics" tab.

Ochoco

Nov 18, 2007
CO
I guess what I mean is, is it throwing code for ya, or am I missing something?

caver101

Dec 10, 2007
NW GA
I am a firm believer in Marmot, Mountain Hardware, Arcteryx, Smart wool and Patagonia under and over garments.

I like the marino wool stuff for a base layer as it don't stink like the synthetic stuff does after a couple days with no bath.

I am very hip on Arcteryx as I have no other fleece that compairs to its quality/craftsmanship.

I have goretex coats/pants from Marmot, Mountain Hardware, mil surplus to off-brand. The Marmot is my go-to jacket.

I don't water foul hunt, so I don't know anything about waiders or the like.

caver101

Dec 10, 2007
NW GA
triggerguard1 said:
can't you do that without typing "tag"?
yea, I can type anything. Just something in the post so I can add it to my watch topics.

"." would be fine.

TAG means nothing in-particular.

Paul H

Nov 19, 2007
Alaska
Visit site
Put me in the camp that hates goretex, I've tried it from Patagonia, Marmot, North Face, REI and I think others. It works ok when brand spanking new, but once it gets a bit dirty the shell gets soaked with water. And I guess I'm a sweaty pig, as I never have been able to get it to breath fast enough to keep me dry.

Asside from them, can't beat synthetic long johns, fleece and a true water proof outer layer.

Big Stick

Nov 18, 2007
Paradise
The Marmot no stink'um base layer shit is golden. I like their cut too.

The Marmot outershell is my favorite too,partly due to their cut,the balance to their function...................

caver101

Dec 10, 2007
NW GA
I have a buddy that has the synthetic underwear with the silver thread woven in to keep bacteria levels (body stink) down. He swears by it. I believe his is mountain hardware.

Goretex is great, you just need to know when to open pit zips and vent your body.

Paul: If you sweat in goretex, how do you not do it in a rubber rain suit?? I have a old cheap rubber suit for the boat and I burn up and sweat to death in it.

Big Stick

Nov 18, 2007
Paradise
I've yet to wear anything that breathes like Marmot and I can sweat with the very best of them...............

Brother Bill

Administrator
Nov 17, 2007
Paradise, Alaska
I can't get myself in to the waders and hunting thing. Sticks post regarding good HH Impertech britches and duct tape is my preference. One ain't likely to spend a lot of time "in" the river during a hunt. River crossings can usually be easily managed via the duct tape trick...

Big Stick

Nov 18, 2007
Paradise
Commercial Fishing rubber bands work great too and will take a pretty good lick.

For a Late Fall Hunt,targeting expressly Fish Creeks,I'd go neoprene...because it'll allow countless options. Warm and dry,amongst them.

I'd consider that a niche pursuit and ImperTech is easily my first choice for Utility................

Hoop

Dec 12, 2007
Central, AL
Those brown Military long johns and a goretex parka seem to do fine here. I wear the camo 511 shit over that and ride my wheel in 30 degree weather here. Main thing I have a problem with is cold hands and feet.

Big Stick

Nov 18, 2007
Paradise
Dressing for setting,is easier than dressing for a foot jaunt,especially in the wet conditions of SE. You are gonna fight saturation,cold temps and wind on the average,unless the weather takes a shit.(grin)

A guy could argue in favor of a waterproof day/backpack,in which to tote extry layers and what not. Have been meaning to order a few different Models for R&D,to maybe aid with camera life,during Cast & Blast forays.

My hands trouble me inordinately and I've chainsaws to thank for that.................

Dave King

Dec 9, 2007
Maryland, USA
Thanks

Let me digest this gear info a bit.

Thanks

Stick, do you have Raynaud's Disease from the chain saws by any chance?? My hands, particularly my right one give me some shit in cold weather, worst of all is my trigger finger... It get's stiff and white, about like having a piece of chalk instead of a finger during a bad episode.

Big Stick

Nov 18, 2007
Paradise
My hands are very nuch fucked up,partly from saws,partly from fighting and partly from Commercial Fishing.

Fairly cheap admission,given the big picture.................

Prowler

Nov 17, 2007
Surrounded by Idiots in SW,PA
Threads like this makes one checkbook cry for mercy, along with the custom rifle thread, knife thread, fuck, this whole got damned place....LOLOL

Only thing that I have to add is the Meindl boots and some good wool socks.

Jamie

Nov 17, 2007
Oly. WA
Have any of you guys tried boots with felt and cleats along with the stocking foot waders? I love felt soles for walking on the rocks in the river but are slick in mud. I need to get a boot for my waders that has good traction in and out of the water.

Prowler

Nov 17, 2007
Surrounded by Idiots in SW,PA
Jamie said:
Have any of you guys tried boots with felt and cleats along with the stocking foot waders? I love felt soles for walking on the rocks in the river but are slick in mud. I need to get a boot for my waders that has good traction in and out of the water.
I just bought a pair from Cabela's a while ago and have yet to hit the water with them. Shit keeps coming up.

PepeLp

Dec 16, 2007
NM
Big Stick said:
I've yet to wear anything that breathes like Marmot and I can sweat with the very best of them...............
Which Marmot jacket? I need a new shell, and I sweat a ton.

Ochoco

Nov 18, 2007
CO
truer words..........

Never tried the water dog method, but for hunting the coastal area, much less working it, there's nothing finer than corks.

I've got the felt-bottom models and breathables......lots of movement, but I'd reserve it for fishing only. Amazingly warm even when the temps were down in the 30's on the ground. Just had on a pair of carhartts......slipped them on and was cozey.

Black19

Dec 5, 2007
Michigun
Good information here, and surely more to come....Anyway to make this a sticky up top for further additions and for reference?

caver101

Dec 10, 2007
NW GA
PepeLp said:
Big Stick said:
Which Marmot jacket? I need a new shell, and I sweat a ton.
They make quite a few, pick one that meets your needs. You will not be disappointed.

What activity do you intend to pursue most often with it?