data-csrf="1711714122,b05e218639e29872100c1c5e24535311" Light done right... | As Real As It Gets

Light done right...

hangunnr

Administrator
Dec 12, 2007
Flatlandia
Picked up a S&W 329PD .44mag. Added a JPoint sight and mount.

Had a moment of weakness and just couldn't pass on this one. I guess the .223AI build will have to wait. I've been wanting one for a looong time. It's a handful with full power loads.

.....and if yer wondering what one of these weigh.....not much..... 26.2oz all up...

Just got the dot sight mounted today. I've got a 200gr XTP load that showed promise with the irons, should shine with the dot sight.

hangunnr

Oh yeah, almost forgot.....No Aluminum bedding block required.

J-Hon

Administrator
Dec 11, 2007
Northern Ky
Don't think I've ever seen a mini-dot mounted to a wheel gun. Height over bore bother you much (a la, index)?

That's a helluva nice looking boomer.

cwh

Administrator
Nov 18, 2007
Anchorage
I like everything about that but the sight... and the lock. (grin)

Pretty neat packing pistol, but for what I'd want it for, I couldn't see battery power. Will be very interested in your thoughts after you get to wring it out some more.

jds44

Nov 18, 2007
East of pullit, West of Painless
Very cool looking toy, but you can keep that nasty sumbitch as far as I'm concerned. A Mountain Gun is as small as I want to go with full house loads and even that ain't a lot of fun.

Were it mine, I'd load a bunch of Skeeter Skelton loads (240 LSWC, 7.5 grains Unique, .44 Special brass) and have a ball. Anything stouter and I'd want a heavier gun.

hangunnr

Administrator
Dec 12, 2007
Flatlandia
I've got a set of the padded backstrap Hogues that come with the X frame guns that'll make shooting this much more enjoyable. The load I'm working with is a 200gr XTP at about 1000fps outa 44 Special brass. I have no intention of gunning the full power stuff.

As far as the sight....

You can see the front sight through the optic. The dot sits about 1/4-3/8" above the fiber dot. I'm considering machining the front sight down to remove the fiber rod. Smith kinda fucked up with the factory irons IMO. They supplied the gun with a shallow V groove for a rear sight and the top of the front sight is rounded. Not the best for precision shooting. I don't think precision was the main goal of the designers though...

hangunnr

Paul H

Nov 19, 2007
Alaska
Visit site
That hurts looking at it. My buddy had one of the scandium 357 mag snubbies, and like a dummy I fired a full cylinder of a 357 mag loads through it. Hands down the most painful revolver I've ever fired. He should of told me to just open my right hand, and beat the web of my hand with a hammer.

I just can't cotton to giving up shootability to gain packability.

cwh

Administrator
Nov 18, 2007
Anchorage
I'd love to shoot one, especially if it'd keep me from buying one...

I've been close, several times now.

Dan In Alaska

Nov 30, 2007
Anchorage
I've shot both the air weight 44 and the air weight .357. Hands down, I'd rather shoot the 44! At least there's a handle to the friggin' thing. The recoil on the .44 is stout, but not as brutal as I would have suspected - about like my 6" .454 Raging Bull, I'd guess.

The .357, on the other hand, pure pain! After the second shot, I caught myself thinking, "Holy Shit! There's 3 more shots?!!"

Cinch

Clown puncher
Aug 22, 2010
Wyoming
Very nice pistols to carry, but there is a reason you can always find a used low round count for sale!

The

Jul 24, 2009
Its a Secret
I have the .357 with CT grips. I think the laser is a gimmick, but I keep them because they cover the back strap of the frame. I wouldn't sit and put 100 rounds down range with it, but thats not what these guns are designed for.

hangunnr

Administrator
Dec 12, 2007
Flatlandia
I picked that scale up a couple years back and don't believe I've ever used it for it's intended purpose. It has however weighed a ton of venison over the years.

CR

Rogue

Oct 21, 2009
Jefferson State
Load that sucker up with +p spl loads. You don't need full house loads to kill shit. Lead kieth style bullets are a bunch of fun...