data-csrf="1711723004,edb8f742b41ab97db6cd6981210b9b8f" Strange rifle event | As Real As It Gets

Strange rifle event

Horse1

Dec 31, 2007
In the vicinity of dandihood
700 SPS Tact 20" 308. It's lived nearly it's entire life in the same McMillan A-3. Currently topped w/8.5-25x50 30MM Leupold. 155 Scenar's/R-15 seated .010 into the lands, I use a single-shot follower. Other than a couple of scope swaps the base, barreled action, and stock have been essentially unchanged since '08.

It's a "Monkey Rifle" in that any monkey can lay behind it and shoot it proficiently. Couple-few shots for a good wind dope and Blow small leftover discernible paint chips off of 600yd targets, or shoot the chains off on purpose.

Last time I shot it the thing was all over the place. 5"+ 200yds groups. It was getting close to hunting season so I shuffled it to the back of the safe to figure out another day. Today I decide to pull it out. As I'm camming the bolt down into battery, I "feel" something not quite right. Pull the bolt. There's a contact line on the starboard lug. Get a light into the lug journals and the front action screw is turtling just a bit proud. I've got contact w/the front action screw and the bolt.

Give or take I've got 3K rounds through the rifle. No thing, shortened the screw a bit, nothing else seems amiss, I suspect the problem is solved but, I'm wondering how the screw "grew" into the bolt journal???????

Last edited:

dznnf7

Apr 30, 2016
I'll bet it didn't [no offense meant, but if you weren't looking, you weren't finding it], and I'll bet it's not your issue, and the first place I'd look is the scope. Let us know how you make out.

Dude270

Dec 23, 2014
If the stock has pillars I think its unlikely that that's the issue, probably always that way. Scope and mounts would be my first check if uts still shooting wonky

Reactions: Al Nyhus

Chesapeake

Aug 24, 2010
SW Washington
Any chance you had 2 rifles apart and swapped screws? I have several 700's and for several the screws are custom length.
Even if not custom length, different screws protrude differently due to the tapers of the bolt heads being different, so same length screws fit differently.

Horse1

Dec 31, 2007
The stock has factory pillars and I'm confident in the bedding. Farrell 30MOA base and Leupold PRW rings. It's possible the scope puked but the rifle doesn't get "hard use". Lots of shooting, but no carry time afield nor as a "truck gun".

Possible, but doubtful that I swapped screws. The vast majority of my blued 700 SA's have slotted screw heads and the rifle in question has Allen-heads.

Last edited:

Al Nyhus

Dec 30, 2008
Not impossible for 'factory' pillars to come loose. I've seen it twice..once on a new stock.

Whenever possible, I specify just .250 pilot holes when ordering a stock and do my own pillars. If they can't accomodate that request, I remove the pillars anyway and do my own. -Al

Horse1

Dec 31, 2007
Still no clue as to the "how" regarding the action screw encroaching upon the lug journal, but, doing nothing more than shortening and re-installing cured my woes. Back to "Monkey-Rifle" status.