data-csrf="1714239433,8ad17d79fb6d34786979463bc6697069" The Budget BR............... | As Real As It Gets

The Budget BR...............

Big Stick

Nov 18, 2007
Paradise
Looks like most of the shit showed up,except for the brass. Had a Brownell's package blow up and spill Lapooey Grendel brass from here to Eternity.

Hopin' my Midsouth BR brass fares better..............

Big Stick

Nov 18, 2007
Paradise
Will lap lugs and use the fancy/schmancy NSS tooling to button this one up,if only to see WTF. Rough travel day and I'm really not in the mood to inlet a stock this afternoon,so might cram it elsewhere.

Gotta few sets of XTR 2pc bitches enroute,will 'Horn same and go to chopping up the 28" spout.

Waiting on 108 ELD's too and might haveta' rock 105 Hornie HPBT's instead,beings I've heard good thangs about 'em................(grin)

tnv

Dec 25, 2007
TN
Now you boys have gone and discovered CBI like everyone else. Wonder when their prices are gonna go up?

All kidding aside, I don't see how they offer what they offer for the price. I hear some say they aren't at the level of others...Can't convince me they're not after seeing what mine does.

Big Stick

Nov 18, 2007
Paradise
Greg Young does it best with his BugNut approach and I need him to crank out a few for me,as LW Sporters...............

go ahead

Jul 22, 2008
TN
tnv said:
Now you boys have gone and discovered CBI like everyone else. Wonder when their prices are gonna go up?
Yea and it hasn't been 6 months since the creedmoor case was nothing new and a easy pass for the xc.....grin.

Big Stick

Nov 18, 2007
Paradise
Sweet...my BR brass arrived just now.

The XC's "undoing" from day one,is it's brass in OEM guise. I'd form cases from Lapooey 22-250 to get there,but the Creed' is of better support and is turnkey................

Big Stick

Nov 18, 2007
Paradise
Was thinking I'd ordered brass from Midsouth,but this is a Powder Valley order.

PV knows how to pack shit!

Now I'm wondering WTF I got coming from Midsouth?!?...........................

Big Stick

Nov 18, 2007
Paradise
Got sidetracked with laughs and haven't even tossed the barrel on the receiver yet.

THAT,is a fucking first...............(grin)

Big Stick

Nov 18, 2007
Paradise
Getting closer.

I'm thinking glass will arrive today,so I'll do a new spin on an old Theme...do load development without a single fucking shot on paper,or any sighting device.

Kiss,find pressure and rock on.....................

dakotagun

Jan 25, 2017
Shitsville
Stick, will you leave the rem trigger in place?

On a few, I've tossed the shoe screw in the garbage and have been able to find a 2-2.5# range via the front screw with a minimum of engagement on the return spring. Still, I debate whether or not I should leave them in place or just order some 510's.

It seems some will get there safely and some are shit. What's your experience?

#firstworldproblems

Big Stick

Nov 18, 2007
Paradise
Triggers are easy. Most are fill of OEM gunk/grease/shit when new and Used Rifles are generally "enjoying" that,along with crud,mud and "maintenance" remains. No thang to yard 'em apart,go through the works and happy things up. I keep forgetting I bought an UltraSonic Cleaner and keep doing shit the Old Fashioned way.(grin)

That being said,it'll likely wear a 2oz Shilen with no Safety,as I'm hip on 'em for a Giggles Rifle.

Chasing lugs now. Current "engagement".

I bet it'll shoot better than 3" at 100yds.................(grin)

Big Stick

Nov 18, 2007
Paradise
Can't even remember when i ordered a Bolt Lug Lapping Tool and Brownell's slipped me a fucking Dirty Deed and I received a 98 Mauser tool instead. funny enough,that I just hung onto it for laughs.

Have more than alotta concentric barrels/brass laying around,so I'm at ease in doing the Ram/Jam with a fired case from one of 'em and Lapooey 308 Virgins that were false-shouldered formed,are straighter than fuck here.

No thang,to do as you please..................

Big Stick

Nov 18, 2007
Paradise
The action wrench is well machined and it's about all it wants,to drift (2) layers of Ninjee Tape,around the receiver's circumference.

Goop shit up,bump up torque and start fucking shooting.

It'd take but a coupla minutes...but I'm a purty good fucking roll with the FWB300 and get sidetracked easily..................(grin)

Big Stick

Nov 18, 2007
Paradise
I don't like gauges and never have,as my SOLE focus is the brass I'm gonna actually fucking shoot. .003" TiN bushing constriction here and positive headspace,that can both be seen(on cases) and felt.

Don't get ANY fucking better than that.

Be nice to snag a scope in Today's mail.................

Big Stick

Nov 18, 2007
Paradise
Feed/function is a fucking Peach...no matter the rhyme/reason of projectiles. Gotta love DBM sanctity.

No here's where shit might could mebbe change. This throat is shorter than my other an an ASC Grendel mag,do in fact grant a hornie 105 HPBT Smooch in this bitch.

Portside wants to drag a silver CH on the fore lip,but a smidge of Dremel Radial Relief,would fix that in about 4 fucking seconds.

So now I'm torn...on which DBM to alter/inlet for,but how does a guy lose with AR Mag Smooches?!? 10rd Grendel ASC mags,will grantcha' (6) 105's and I'm thinkin' it'll work...................

dakotagun

Jan 25, 2017
Shitsville
Very cool. I like the stealth/aics combo, might need one in a 21" 6br...

Do the remmy action always eject a spent br case?

Ever have to lengthen the ejector or other "tweaks", or are they pretty much g2g with the AICS setup?

Big Stick

Nov 18, 2007
Paradise
Some mail arrived,but I'm still waiting on some good shit.

Never had to fuck with 700 ejection in any chambering...though I useta cut ejector coils on straight up Target Rifles.

Went AICS/Prima,as the ASC's were wanting to swell up,when easting the BR Virgins. Will save the 700 S/A AR DBM for a 22 Grendel Bolt Bitch.................

Big Stick

Nov 18, 2007
Paradise
Woot! The Caldwell Russian Boxes will hold 6BR 105's for this bitch...and obviously 22 Grendel too.

Need to order another 50 or so.....................

Big Stick

Nov 18, 2007
Paradise
Load Development complete,in (4) pokes. As per always,I toss a cursory hip shot and then I rattled the last (3) through the chronograph. Not shabby for Virgins and laying moly down in a sterile tube...as consistency goes. It'll simmer more,after a couple more pokes.

Will bump the kiss .5gr and mass produce that load. Treaded lightly with the shorter throat,but though this Lot of brass was in sync with the last,weight wise and I weren't aspooked but there's always Method to the Madness. Fingered that although the throat was lesser,that the bore was greater than The BABY BR and pressure would swap out. They did. As the bore seasons,speed will come down a Silver CH.

Average.

SD.

I tend to look for single digit ES,but that'll come after the bore is seasoned.

Wasn't doing bad without a bead,but I reckon she'll improve with some sort of sight. Will chop 3.5" of it tonight,rechrono and finish at 21" tomorrow.

Recoil ain't as bad,as most would think..................(grin)

Big Stick

Nov 18, 2007
Paradise
Hastily whistled a coupla Nuzzler 105 RDF's and Hornie 108 ELD's through same,with The Bump and there was no issues(farrrrrrrr from "suplizing").

Expect a couple/few more barrels in the next coupla days,amongst some other wares,but this BR will get attention for tomorrow at least. Hopefully atmospherics hold and I can stretch it to 1300yds or so. Can only coax 40.5 Mils total out of the erector,with windage centered and reckon the 40 MOA 'Horn's will cough a smidge of actual up and leave enough travel to get 'er out to 300yds or so.(grin)

Some bedding is drying,but didn't feel like a Double Flip The Bitch and do both sides at once.

I reckon it won't be anywhere near "fair",for others to follow suit with.....................

go ahead

Jul 22, 2008
TN
Lots of info to read thanks. Are you having to do any work on the mags or just load and go? Disregard that same question in other thread. Other than the little bit in the front the pic shows.

Big Stick

Nov 18, 2007
Paradise
go ahead said:
Lots of info to read thanks. Are you having to do any work on the mags or just load and go? Disregard that same question in other thread. Other than the little bit in the front the pic shows.
I could easily make a Grendel AR mag work,by opening the follower's width and lowering the front plate's height. On a short throat and with a BC concession,it'd be fine(105 High Birds and Really Don't Flys will not make ASC COAL,nor will 108 ELD's).

The AR DBM's are tougher to score and require more metalwork to boot,in order to get ride height right.

Going AICS DBM with a steel mag and tossing Primal guts into it,is THE way to go. A bulletproof system,in a well established footprint. Pull the mag's floorplate and simply swap out guts,for BR Happiness. Kits are for 10-round mags and if doing 5's...simply trim the backplate spacer to length and nip the spring.

Easy.................

Hondo64d

Feb 19, 2015
The Big Country
Big Stick said:
Lost a fucking bet.

BIG one.................(grin)
Would be curious to read your thoughts on the 3-15 vs the 16x. Same tight eye box and glare at 15x as the fixed 16x? If you see any poi deviations with changing x would like to hear about that too.

John

Big Stick

Nov 18, 2007
Paradise
As X's go up,shit always gets worse...that's a constant. All 16x's suck.(grin)

The SFP 3-15x MQ will be a great Teaching Tool and will steer folks right,without 'em even knowing they are being steered.(grin)

Of course the reticle itself is fabulous and there are numerous work arounds. If you can see trace/impact,you can chase corrections,no matter the X-titude on a SFP. You needn't know the values in their true scale,but if you miss a wind call by .3 "Mil" at 1116yds on 13x...a .3 "Mil" reticle nudge will dope that shot. What will be lost is the lineal ruler and ability for anyone to immediately/concisely correct a wind call's actual impetus,as a Learning Curve.

It's gonna make 6x MQ's even harder to keep in fucking stock.......................(grin)

Big Stick

Nov 18, 2007
Paradise
These ammo boxes are killer for Grendel and this BR. Amazon has 'em for $11.99 per pack of (5) and free shipping.

I ordered 10 packs of 5,for 50 total. Midway has nearly charged me that...just for shipping.(grin)

Food for thought................

Big Stick

Nov 18, 2007
Paradise
It released.(grin)

Bedded the underside nether regions too. Chased all holes and am feeling good about it.

Only downside is my Taco Inverter won't run my SawzAll and I assuredly tried. Will shoot The Bump on paper,get a zero,chronograph,flog on some comeups and then Chop Suey.

Prolly won't suck too bad................

dakotagun

Jan 25, 2017
Shitsville
I hope your bedding looks purdy. Mine looks fuckin sweet and that is how I get sub MOA groupings with my long range precision rifles.

Big Stick

Nov 18, 2007
Paradise
2885fps with ES now at 13fps,so shit be happy. Remembered how/why I hate fucking variables too.(grin)

Bedding is tight to the lug and looks like all of 'em.

Fucking thing is cloverleafing,into oblong knots and windage was 1.2 Mils offa mechanical zero and elevation is just 4 Mils from being balls out. only slapped shit around at the 1300yd line to confirm dope and it's spot on,whether steering with the reticle or cranking the turret.

Will go chop real quick and check speeds,to see what I "lose"...by gaining soooooooo fuckin much. 24.5" to the first chop.....................

Big Stick

Nov 18, 2007
Paradise
Chopped twice...each at 3.5" intervals fron the issued 28". Total loss was 120fps on the nose. The first chop from 28" to 24.5" took the biggest hit,dropping to 2810fps.

First blade was duller than fucking Church and I was worried about starting a fire,so ran to the store and bought a new pack.

Getting VERY good with the SawzAll and not much touch up needed.

If I coulda pushed harder...I woulda.....................(grin)

Nail

Feb 8, 2008
Mississippi
16Bore said:
Good. Now toss that piece of shit my way.
That's what I was thinking. I still haven't played with my 10X super chicken but I am curious to hear how the 3-15 fares. Seems like a good option for numb nuts like me.

Hondo64d

Feb 19, 2015
The Big Country
Is this Criterion meeting your accuracy expectations as well as your first one?

Regarding variables, is the 3-15 changing POI with changing power?

Thanks,

John

dakotagun

Jan 25, 2017
Shitsville
16Bore said:
Dig the 10x on my Tikka.
Same here. Got one on an 8-twist medium weight 243 that is just perfect. I'm a prairie hunter so will end up running mostly fixed 10's although I can see a faux ti-ish build in my future with a fixed 6x on top.

Should prolly do some spring cleaning to fund the project though...

16Bore

Feb 11, 2010
Virgina
I did that on a 6x45 prior. Personally like more nose on a rig. But I like a lotta shit that others don't.

dakotagun

Jan 25, 2017
Shitsville
In regards to the Criterion barrels, I have had two and both shot great. I jumped on them kinda early in their prefit barrel game, when I was running Salvages pretty hard. I put together a 9 twist varmint 22-250 and a heavy sporter 6.5 Lapua and they were both hammers.

The 6.5 shot really well with minimal effort on the reloading bench, so I just ran with a load after about 15 rounds down the tube.

The 22-250 was a hummer by my standards. I shot two 5-shot groups in the 2's with it in the first 12 rounds. That was in hurried prep for a PD trip I was going on so it was not my first choice of components for the build, but just what I had on hand. RL15 and 50 grain noslers.

Big Stick

Nov 18, 2007
Paradise
Nail said:
16Bore said:
That's what I was thinking. I still haven't played with my 10X super chicken but I am curious to hear how the 3-15 fares. Seems like a good option for numb nuts like me.
A variable and exceeding 10X is only gonna add concession(s)...not "benefits".

The view of a 10x really do trump the 3-15x variable soundly. I MUCH prefer rear focus parallax. I cannot begin to speak to mechanics,but initial tracking,testing and returns of the variable's erector are spot one,but I haven't shot it much past the 1200yd line and wasn't really concerned with that initial dope...because I knew it would change with the barrel chop(s). Zero Stops are easily installed ala Fixed Fucker and using like wares. That ain't bad news. I did not install stops on the variable and that due the fact that it is impossible to get fucked up,when an erector is set up to yield zero,on it's last rotation anyhow. Zero is simply the last zero you can reach.

I bought it as a lark,knowing I'd disfavor it and as a R&D teaching Tool for others,to connect dots that are easier to hand someone,rather than try to explain.

The 10x blows it out of the fucking water...................

Big Stick

Nov 18, 2007
Paradise
Hondo64d said:
Is this Criterion meeting your accuracy expectations as well as your first one?

Regarding variables, is the 3-15 changing POI with changing power?

Thanks,

John
Haven't done any huge zoom change evaluations,as I didn't/don't fixate 100yd paper. I grabbed a 100yd centered zero,at a height I knew to be familiar,clocked speeds and immediately went to 700yds and then 1200yds+,to correlate the generated come ups. Swung zoom a bit,without issue and have no concerns in that regard.

This barrel is easily in the low .3's and I'd expect it to improve,as the bore seasons. Am I "surprised" or 'disappointed" in any of it?

Nope..................

Big Stick

Nov 18, 2007
Paradise
16Bore said:
I did that on a 6x45 prior. Personally like more nose on a rig. But I like a lotta shit that others don't.
I found out many moons ago,that the more I shoot...the better I shoot everything. Hard to be good at,sumptin' you don't do much of. I do a bit of it and seen it help.(grin)

On a fucking tear with the FWB 300S this morning and Big Yella' is sucking air and smiling..............

Big Stick

Nov 18, 2007
Paradise
16Bore said:
My favorite 270(and perhaps favorite rifle),is the 18" Montucky.

Shit ain't even fucking fair....................

16Bore

Feb 11, 2010
Virgina
Big Stick said:
Nail said:
16Bore said:
A variable and exceeding 10X is only gonna add concession(s)...not "benefits".

The view of a 10x really do trump the 3-15x variable soundly. I MUCH prefer rear focus parallax. I cannot begin to speak to mechanics,but initial tracking,testing and returns of the variable's erector are spot one,but I haven't shot it much past the 1200yd line and wasn't really concerned with that initial dope...because I knew it would change with the barrel chop(s). Zero Stops are easily installed ala Fixed Fucker and using like wares. That ain't bad news. I did not install stops on the variable and that due the fact that it is impossible to get fucked up,when an erector is set up to yield zero,on it's last rotation anyhow. Zero is simply the last zero you can reach.

I bought it as a lark,knowing I'd disfavor it and as a R&D teaching Tool for others,to connect dots that are easier to hand someone,rather than try to explain.

The 10x blows it out of the fucking water...................
I'd be more interested in the 3 side than the 15 side. But who the fuck am I kidding, I still like M8's.

Big Stick

Nov 18, 2007
Paradise
Illuminatti and never look back. Pin it to 4x to subtend/jive the erector and never look back.

Might have one on a 18" 270.................

Big Stick

Nov 18, 2007
Paradise
Had to go all the way to the coffee pot,for perspective.

3-15x MQ SFP at 3X.

Same at 7.5x.

Balls out at 15x. Might be some artifacts/fringing/aberration.(grin)

Illuminatti and just a hint of illumination.

Hint....................

go ahead

Jul 22, 2008
TN
I've got em like them and use them but prefer the 3-9's. I like everything about the 3-9's better than the fixed. I like all the swfa scopes I've had and used though 6x 10x 3-9 and ffp 3-15.

I wish they make a illuminated 6x. I'd order one tomorrow. Or 10x or 3-9

go ahead

Jul 22, 2008
TN
Does anyone remember how the tax day swfa sell goes? I've always picked mine up on BF. Just curious since we're talking about scopes.

Brett

Oct 19, 2013
OK
I believe it's on April 15 and you get a 8.25% reduction (TX sales tax) in price.

Big Stick

Nov 18, 2007
Paradise
6x's have been tough to score,for a spell.

For some reason,there's been a run on them and tough to keep in stock..............

go ahead

Jul 22, 2008
TN
Ok I was going to be a wise guy and toss up a pic of 3 6x's and a couple 3-9's but......Photobucket on a iPhone or on mine is such a huge pile of shit now I can't.

Big Stick

Nov 18, 2007
Paradise
The only variable to have made the cut,is the Illuminatti.

Set up an ImageShack account.

Hint...................

go ahead

Jul 22, 2008
TN
I need more than 4x I might go out west some day. You ain't ran a 3-9.....don't judge all the variables by that damn 3-15 sfp. The ffp is better. Hint damnit hint....grin.

It's like saying I don't like the fixed fuckers because I tried a fixed 27x....lol

Big Stick

Nov 18, 2007
Paradise
You make VERY good points,in that few folks have ever been West...or looked through a variable. ESPECIALLY of the 3-9X ilk.

I retract my statements.

Laughing!..............

go ahead

Jul 22, 2008
TN
Thank you....

The upside to the 3-9 is no down side...:grin it's a 6x and a 9x but with a darker bolder reticle.

Big Stick

Nov 18, 2007
Paradise
The 3-9X connects no dots that matter. It is missing both Illumination and parallax control...while bringing no mechanical advantage to the table.

It cannot begin to hang with the Illuminatti,nor the 6x MQ................

go ahead

Jul 22, 2008
TN
So if they're on backorder don't blame you then?

I will try the illuminated one next big sale. That is one I've not tried yet. I've like every swfa scope I've used so far. People are without excuse to have a good scope now. Everyone can pay (most pay more) $260 for a scope.

JCM

Jan 8, 2013
I could get real happy about fixing a 6x in 3-9 housing, sans windage, with illumini. Parallax I can do without.

clark98ut

Jun 3, 2008
Liberty Hill, TX
The 3-15 isn't terrible, but the eye box is pretty small, even at 3x. I've got one on my Sako Quad for the moment. Don't know how long it will be on there though.

Big Stick

Nov 18, 2007
Paradise
Am liking the glass best,when pinned to 7.5X and using double windshield values for subtension holdoffs/wind sliding. Thus the yeller racing stripe on ocular,as seen above.

Took it out to 1400-ish yards doing just that today and tracking/subtension jives through the trajectory course. Fed come-ups double values at 7.5X,gunned it as indicated at 15X and confirmed both approaches ala the erector. Pretty goddamned fucking sound platform,that is a hoot to shoot and easy to do remarkably with. The scope's mechanics are spot on,in both Theory and Application. Having 20 Mils on the windshield,do NOT suck.(grin)

The glass is short term on the parcel,with a 10x MQ waiting in the wings,to leap into it's place. Just a whole bunch more forgiving and less all the bullshit.

Rear focus parallax,so trumps side focus too....................

4th_point

Dec 4, 2013
Oregon
Same here...

Only had one 3-15x MQ which was ok, but have long since replaced it with a 10x MQ and have had no regrets. Never felt like the 15x gave me anything over the 10x. Image at 13-15x sucked compared to the fixed-10, and I don't get hung-up on image quality only function.

Not really a fan of the 3-15x side focus either. Seemed tender compared to the rear-focus scopes. Just a couple of o-rings to protect the guts from atmosphere, and not as robust as the rear focus.

Big Stick

Nov 18, 2007
Paradise
Reality,brass CAN'T get any better than Alpha Creed' and capacity is rather similar.

For those reasons,it'll never happen for me.

I'd rather build a 22 Grendel boltgun with AR DBM................(grin)

Hondo64d

Feb 19, 2015
The Big Country
I don't disagree with that but I do find the x47 to be pretty much the perfect fit in a 2.8" box. Might be the perfect round in a Montana...

John