data-csrf="1714340409,a9de3958f2b33d14d96fa42b75f02d57" Thoughts on the MK 4 3.5-10 | As Real As It Gets

Thoughts on the MK 4 3.5-10

Big Stick

Nov 18, 2007
Paradise
The Great One and I were dissing the 4.5-14x M1 LR,a few cups of coffee ago(Phase 2 here).

The 3.5-10x sooooooo blows the 14x away..............

Big Stick

Nov 18, 2007
Paradise
Kinda where we are all at. Everybody's got 4.5-14x M1's and nobody likes 'em.

A good way to get bitchslapped,is to finger fuck another man's 3.5-10x.............(grin)

Steelhead

Nov 17, 2007
Here
Ever since eye fucked the one on the secondhand rose I've wanted one. Would be good fit for the coming chunk.

Make damn sure I ain't drunk when we order....

Big Stick

Nov 18, 2007
Paradise
For beating the fuck out of,with reckless abandon the MK4 10x soothes me like no other. 40mm mounts low,there isn't any stupid fucking shit overhanging the sides,eye-relief is golden and she's forgiving across the course,with generous ele.

Would like to gun one with SPR.................

MontanaMarine

Nov 17, 2007
Canyon Ferry, MT
Love the MK4 3.5-10x40. Started with an M3, have the M1 now. They both have their own advantages, but I like the M1 better, overall. The M3s strong suite is quick adjustments for making hits on man-sized targets. The M1 is the way to go for finer precision.

Love the MK4 10X and 16X too. I traded off my 10X, for a second 16X, then traded that, for a 3.5-10 M1. After using the 16X for a few years, the 10X FOV seems huge. The only time I dial the power down, is when shooting through the chronograph, but that is easily done even at 16X.

The "real" MK4s (fixed power), go for about $800 on the used market, and the MK4 3.5-10x40 M1s I've seen from $550-750, depending on reticles, illumination and stuff. No way I'd pay full sticker price. With Leupold's warranty, and reptation for customer service, I'm happy to let someone else drive it off the lot, and I'll reap the savings.

A lot of guys crave the huge USO/NF stuff, and are willing to unload their lightly used Leupolds at bargain prices, so they can get what their friends have, and be a cool kid again.

Angry Scotsman

Nov 18, 2007
Orygun
Big Stick said:
Dual erector springs in the 30mm,seem to quell Mr.Murphy.

I sooooo love that glass............
Some "cool kids" that I play with sometimes, are all snatching up NFs like they're a bargain at any price. They parrot someone out there who claims the NFs have more repeatable clicks than Leupys. The only problem I've ever had with Leupy turrets was on a pards 3.5-10 Tactical that would take the clicks for the first few shots-------even when I'd lightly tap on the tube with my pocket knife.

You fellas drive turrets a LOT more than I do, so I'm asking if there's much/any truth to the claim of Leupold's weakness with click accuracy. If so, do double erector springs in the 30mm tube fix the problem. I'm with Shane and whoever else on buying used quality glass rather than taking an off the lot beating, but I'm a competitive sumbitch and I don't want my face rubbed in a pile of crap if I fly the Leupy flag and get burned by an elevation knob. These same boys are running GAP rifles, which is all fine and dandy, but I also intend to build a rifle w/o the name recognition (and price tag) and smoke their yuppy little asses. They're taking the approach that throwing $5K at the problem will fix everything, and to a large extent they're right, if that money is directed at GAP and NF. I'd rather skin the cat on half that budget and then walk away with the crown.

Please chime in.

i've driven NF scopes a bit and they are nice. but i like Leupold better.. out of all the scopes i've had i've only had 1 Leupold that needs to be sent back for adjustment issues.. though i'm going to put it on a known rifle before hand.. just to be sure...

You can build a rifle just as accurate as a GAP rifle with about half the cost...

Sticks got me thinking about the 7WSM and the 162 Amax thing...

MontanaMarine

Nov 17, 2007
Canyon Ferry, MT
I'm of the opinion that ther's no black magic in building a good Tac rifle. Componenet selection is the only real difference. Either a 'smith can build a rifle, or he can't.

GAP and the other popular tactical gunbuilders have earned their reputations, and it has spread far and wide. I believe there are plenty of good 'smiths in little unknown shops who can do just as good of work, they just aren't known to most.

I'm getting to know such a 'smith in Helena. I gave him a barrel cutting job first, now he's working on my 30-06, installing a Badger Ord brake (Thruster comp, not the FTE monster). If things continue to go well, I'll definitely use him again for rebarreling/truing stuff.

I've broke the code on bedding, so don't need to pay anyone for that task.

MontanaMarine

Nov 17, 2007
Canyon Ferry, MT
I've gotten behind the NXS and USOs, and can cay they are nice scopes. But, I prefer the Leupold size/weight, particularly the 40mm stuff. For me, it just works. Everything I need, nothing I don't.

Angry Scotsman

Nov 18, 2007
Orygun
Thanks for the replies guys. I prefer the size and weight of Leupy scopes, but have never driven any Mk4s, just target models. I've looked through some NFs and they're nice, but I guess I didn't look long enough to fully understand why they're priced that way.

Shane, we're on the same page with 'smiths. Once I get my parts pile gathered up I'll send it to a fully capable builder and he'll likely be a one man shop. The "turnkey" rifles are nice, but I've got more patience than money, and so I don't mind subcontracting the various steps needed to build a good rifle. I'll admit to drooling over the GAP sticks I've fired, and would go that route if I could justify it and/or didn't know any better. I'm not going the typical .308 route on this gun either, since I think there are better ways to get where I'm going---------namely 7mm.
AS

Accraholic

Nov 27, 2007
Oregon coast
I own several Leupold scopes, and a couple no-name beaters that haven't been traded off yet. I have found that a guy really must check the tracking to find out exactly what is going to happen when the turret is turned.

The other day I tested a few scopes on a chart with the rifle in a vise;
3.5-10x40 30mm M1...................1moa = 1" (2 tested - same)
3.5-10 Tactical.........................1moa = 1.33"
3x9 VariXII..............................1moa = .225"
4.5-14x50 VariXIII......................1moa = 1" (first 25moa only)
12x M8...................................1moa = 1"
6x42 M8...................................1moa = 1.2"

The reticle on the 4.5-14 stops after moving about 25 moa even though the turret turns a few moa further. As long as I put corrected data on my charts, these scopes do what I want them to do.

Mac84

Nov 20, 2007
I have a MK 3.5-10 in M3 mode. I wish I had it in the M1 cofig instead. It's a good, reliable scope that's seen duty on my heavy 300WM and 308.