data-csrf="1714390095,fc466779b1eea8633107f061c2d0116d" Video Production Questions | As Real As It Gets

Video Production Questions

pixarezzo

Dec 9, 2007
San Jose, CA
Visit site
I'm curious as to what hardware/software you folks are using, as well as publishing settings - frame rate, compression, overall dimensions (i.e. 640x480, 480x 360, etc.) for your videos. Is there a prefered file type - .mov (QuickTime), .avi, .wmf, etc? While some optimal settings are discovered by trial and error, how much is mandated by the host?

My hat's off to you guys for jumping into this with both feet.

pixarezzo

Dec 9, 2007
San Jose, CA
Visit site
Wow! I've stumped the 'Stick. That's got to be worth a star or two. ;)

That actually surprises me, though. In my lurkdom, I've come to perceive you as a do-er and a no BS, use what works, kind of guy. You've put a lot of time and effort into this video stuff so I'm perplexed. Your experience in the field and your fishing/firearms knowledge is probably second to none on this as well as other sites so it seems strange that your MO doesn't carry over to the video realm.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not trying to bust your chops or be critical - maybe I simply didn't pose my query correctly. Let me see if I can do better. BTW, I've done some video work and what I've learned was learned pretty much by trial and error - mostly error. I know enough about it to be dangerous.

Big Stick

Nov 18, 2007
Paradise
If someone here knows less about computer shit than me,I'd be heavily impressed.

You oughtta see me type....................

Nail

Feb 8, 2008
Mississippi
Big Stick said:
If someone here knows less about computer shit than me,I'd be heavily impressed.

If I ain't the champ I'm for damn sure the #1 contender.

pixarezzo

Dec 9, 2007
San Jose, CA
Visit site
Big Stick said:
You and me both.

When you compile your video prior to pushing it over to the host server, doesn't the publishing software (Windows Movie Maker, Final Cut Pro, iMovie, etc.) ask for frame-rate, audio/video compression, size, etc. or does it just ask how the vid is to be used (web, DVD, etc.) then automatically publish using some predetermined setting?

pixarezzo

Dec 9, 2007
San Jose, CA
Visit site
What software are you using to edit and publish your videos?

The reason I'm asking is if I know what you're and others are using/doing, I may be able to figure out an easy publishing profile that will improve quality without sacrificing playability.

Regards

Eric

Dan In Alaska

Nov 30, 2007
Anchorage
I use iMovie, and export to quicktime (.mov). When uploaded, the host converts my file to a streaming file type. Whatever size you upload with, YouTube and Photobucket are going to chop it to a 320x240 resolution anyway, so any higher settings on your end probably won't yield much in the way of quality, it'll just take longer to download.