data-csrf="1714242922,e1fcd706e1e6b705a77adb3ce6b3f5f7" How’s things in your neck of the woods | As Real As It Gets

How’s things in your neck of the woods

Chesapeake

Aug 24, 2010
SW Washington
It’s happened many times throughout history. As recently as the early 1900’s with the Spanish flu. There are stories of this in the Bible and the histories of every civilization.
We have flirted with such several times in our lives. We were due for a big one.

tnv

Dec 25, 2007
TN
They'll be studying the effects of this for years to come. I don't understand the closure of hunting and fishing in WA. The reason being is that TN Wildlife Resources is highly touting everyone to get outdoors and recommending this as a form of social distancing.

bgold

Jul 30, 2008
Missouri
They said that here in MO too...until too many people were going to state parks. Then they started closing the parks.

Big Stick

Nov 18, 2007
Paradise
Was tempted to grind 9wks straight...but reread the Governor's Mandate and figured it my Civic Duty to go Hunt/Fish................

Prowler

Nov 17, 2007
Surrounded by Idiots in SW,PA
I think these limitations are mostly initiated due to idiots not following staying away from people "social distancing". As it better to be outdoors, dumbasses in NYC were outside playing soccer and having gatherings. Weird that NYC is the epicenter of this mess.

If common sense could be bottled either drank or swallowed, that would be the best thing this world could ever see. People have notoriously dumbed down, and it's getting worse by the day.

Big Stick

Nov 18, 2007
Paradise
I gave a little expose talk a week or so ago,about context and perspective,at the first meeting of my day and the Spanish Flu was the subject. 25% of the World's population contracted it(500,000 infected) and it ironed as many as 100,000 of 'em.

This is a big can of nothing,in comparison.........................

Chesapeake

Aug 24, 2010
SW Washington
In Washington to hunt involves the western city folks driving east to the rural areas to hunt. Almost all the turkeys are in the eastern side of the state. Almost all the Covid is in the western cities. I suspect the rural eastern counties didn’t want the western folks coming over to hunt.
They touted the “get outdoors” here at first as well. But Portland folks crowd the Columbia gorge trails every weekend to the point that your passing more folks on the trail than you would on a city sidewalk. This place is just over run with folks.

So they changed it to “stay at home” and closed all the public outdoors.

The Spanish flu numbers are highly debated and no one will claim responsibility for the statistics folks now quote. Record keeping and such wasn’t too good back then for such things.

Chesapeake

Aug 24, 2010
SW Washington
Every time Larry talks subsistence I just think one a year possession catch and release steelhead. LOL Would be a pretty short subsistence trip to get one steelhead.

KodiakHntr

Dec 19, 2007
Northern BC
See a bit of chatter circulating about a couple Metis guys getting smoked for hunting moose on the weekend in Alberta after losing their jobs due to covid.

Prolly doesn’t help that it may have been after dark on private land though.

Big Stick

Nov 18, 2007
Paradise
I'd never even given thought to Subsistence Steelheading,but it seems one can use Bait,Spears,Arrows and Cast Nets.

Sounds fun!.........................

Big Stick

Nov 18, 2007
Paradise
I've gots me some underwater skeelz.

Folks would fucking SNAP,as it's "only" 20 Silvers a day too. Frog Gigging don't suck either,with a Chromer on the end of your stick.....................

Reactions: KodiakHntr

SnowshoeWalker

Oct 1, 2018
Alaska
Larry,
How big O' Steelies do they get down in your neck of the state? I've really only feeshed YakuTat on the Situk and slayed em' in large quantities with some dandies. Curious is your waters have Frank the Tank models?

Big Stick

Nov 18, 2007
Paradise
43" is as good as I can do and never more than (3) 20lb+ in a single day.

First fished the Situk in 86 and there were no people.

You can have it...……………(grin)

bobnob

Jan 15, 2016
NSW, Australia
It’s weird-as...

Hoping we have slowed it enough here to get a grip on what comes next.

Have a couple of extra rumps in the cool room just in case!

No matter what the aftermath won’t be pretty.

I really hope you fellows and families come through unscathed.

d2junky

Feb 10, 2010
Big Jim just shut down (as in even the “essential” businesses) 6 counties in WV. 3 of those are basically a DC suburb now and those fuckers don’t know the meaning of social distancing. It’s going through them like shit through a tin goose and all the cases are tracing back to a retail store.

We don’t have many cases because our dumbasses can’t manage to run a test.

I grew up a hillbilly and maintained I’d always be a hillbilly but we decided to get out 8 months ago and it was none too soon.

Also said I’d never be North of the Mason Dixon again but here I sit in the Quaker State watching the sun come up over the pond and the closest living soul a mile away.

I’m takin this time to teach my wife and kid stuff I should’ve taught them long ago. The shrooms are just starting to come up and yesterdays lesson was the difference between Lilly of the valley and a ramp

My turtle trap lesson so far has been a bust.

hangunnr

Administrator
Dec 12, 2007
Flatlandia
Got news that one of the guys from our deer camp got the sickness. He’s a carpenter who works in Shitcago.
He and his camper partner were down at camp the weekend prior to him being diagnosed, partner is now shittin kittens but hasn’t shown any signs of being sick yet.

They haven’t shut down the ports yet but I can see it coming. All the wildlife areas that have rifle ranges are closed indefinitely.

The usual spring turnaround/shut downs have all been pushed back. This is gonna make things a bit uncomfortable around this house.

Big Stick

Nov 18, 2007
Paradise
Folks are going Saltwater CRAZY. Raftin',Kayakin',Boatin',Swimmin'...the whole fucking works.

Saw it all today,on my way in................

Calvin

Nov 17, 2007
Visit site
Nice weather coming. Should have pounding wrapped up here by end of day tomorrow. Looks like it would have been a good year but who what we will get for the stuff with the Chinese Virus still going strong.

Boat work, getting ready for a charter season that might not happen, and homeschooling the kids. Gonna be my fling. Want to run a 129lrx and 168 etip through a bear too.

Rolltide

rimfiretactical.com
Dec 15, 2007
The Governor just extended the whole stay at home thing through the end of the month and they just called the school year done.

My kids are pretty down about school because they're missing their friends.

On a different note though, they've learned to ride their bikes and now I've got some buddies to work out with at home.

The work outs are different from what they would be doing in elementary school, but they're digging it.

I'm pretty sure my middle daughter is scheming for a takeover on a couple of my businesses. She pays attention to my calls, gives constructive criticism and wants to know what's up with clients who don't buy or renters who don't pay. She's helping me with paperwork more and more every day.

Also, she just turned 11... I may be able to turn the.reigns over to her sooner than I thought...

Reactions: Painless

Painless

Administrator
Yeah not only did her school get smoked in the tornado so she didn't have a school to go to, she now cant go so that bummed her out even more, but she and her brother are learning that there is life outside the house which I am more than happy about.

dznnf7

Apr 30, 2016
I've lived in my house for 25 years and I've never seen so many kids outside on bikes, playing with balls and sticks, etc. It could be because I'm home more, but it looks like people are redicovering the world around them. I don't have any close neighbors, but trips to town show a lot of outdoor activity when the sun's shining. An inch of new snow this morning, so....less today.

Big Stick

Nov 18, 2007
Paradise
I've just been Castin' & Blastin' every day,so no changes here. Fuel is down to $3.29.

Like always,I'll take more rain................

hangunnr

Administrator
Dec 12, 2007
Flatlandia
Our spring turkey season opens here next week so it will be good to get back to the woods.
In the mean time we’ve been gettin all artsy fartsy with some leftover rough cut cedar.

Oldest daughter has already laid claim......

Chesapeake

Aug 24, 2010
SW Washington
News reports 2 cases in Craig.

No hunting or fishing here in Washington. House chores are getting done and kids are doing school by Zoom and Google classroom.

I cancelled my POW spring bear hunt. Both airlines gave me a credit so that was nice.

Garden is mostly planted even though it’s early and soil temps are still in the 50’s.

Last edited:

Big Stick

Nov 18, 2007
Paradise
Nothing BUT Hunting & Fishing here and I've been on an EPIC run. Have seen a coupla crummies,yet nobody streamside,though of course I ain't looking for company. Fucking crippled myself yesterday and decided to freeball without waders and got into the fish and fucking froze my cunt off. One of these years I'll learn,that the sunshine and water are prolly different temps!(grin)

Been beating shit up good enough throughout the day,that I haven't even been Bear Looking yet.

Mebbe tonight.............

Calvin

Nov 17, 2007
Visit site
Picked up a cabin so tearing into that. Decided to sand/restain the interior as well as remodel about everyone else. Fun times. Looks like local hatchery openings start the 1st. Looking forward to clubbing Kings even if it’s $3 a pound.

Big Stick

Nov 18, 2007
Paradise
Congrats on the cabin.

I'll be very curious to see how Fish is handled/marketed,due the current roadblocks. The influx of Workers needed,aren't gonna make folks healthier........

Calvin

Nov 17, 2007
Visit site
Yeah, that’s the big question. Smaller volume fisheries will be fine that can be staffed on the local level, the larger ones are in trouble that require a lot of labor.

You have probably drove by it a few times. Hamilton Dr on the other side of the loop.

Big Stick

Nov 18, 2007
Paradise
Didn't know it was for sale...musta' been an "inside" job?!? Well played.

Pard at work is looking hard for a place,there just aren't any.

I just don't see how logistics are gonna contend the craziness,on the large scale. Hopefully it's no big deal and I'm all wet..............

Calvin

Nov 17, 2007
Visit site
I went around to all the property’s that looked unused and wrote letters to the owners via the city tax website asking if they were willing to sell. These folks from Wrangell actually answered and wanted out. Very quick negotiation as the price was more than right.

Got my eye on a few more once I get this one done.