data-csrf="1714161077,84c9ff61ebc0cf180c8d217199da3f57" tags getting filled? | As Real As It Gets

tags getting filled?

Ndbowhunter

May 18, 2021
technically stick bow season opened last week but sitting pat until the first when rifle season opens

any 49ers or canucks have luck yet this season?

Dan In Alaska

Nov 30, 2007
Anchorage
My carbiou season doesn't start until Sept 1st. Same for moose. We are going to be spending a fair amount of time in the field this year, though. I'm looking forward to it!

cwh

Administrator
Nov 18, 2007
Anchorage
Did a half assed sheep hunt and burned up some boot leather, but nothing died. Glassed 22 different rams and couldn't stretch a single one to the full curl mark.

Moose and caribou is going to be weird this year. Don't want to kill a moose, would like to get a bou or two, but I suspect they will close the bou season in 2 days.

We might have to go deer hunting.

KodiakHntr

Dec 19, 2007
Northern BC
3 cows this morning, no bulls.

I don’t get too terribly interested in killing moose, but the last two August bulls were spectacular eating.

Ndbowhunter

May 18, 2021
went scouting into my elk unit and found deer. can't beat the views tho. nice older lady called me back and said i can drop some lopes off the pivot on wednesday. makes it ez.
7834D576-9C2E-4EEE-A082-4C1C329D60A0.jpeg

Apr 3, 2010
Bruin season opening soon. Then stuff starts coming pretty quick. Think I decided on my bear rig for the year, just need to get packing soon.

Ndbowhunter

May 18, 2021
yup, get ur kit sorted now

then it's all gravy and make sure to ignore the good idea fairy when kickoff day begins

Ndbowhunter

May 18, 2021
fun video from some good fellas in some country i used to haunt.

knowing what i know now.. i shoulda 6br years ago/3-9 mil quad and montucky. live and learn. the old shitter 300 win mag killed a lot of critters. then again ammo resupply might have been an issue

Ndbowhunter

May 18, 2021
it's like prairie dog shooting but for men. Lol

good testing of bullets too. down south ( blue mtns west of dunedin) on my mates in-laws block we killed a metric shit ton over the course of a weekend. put suppressors on and killed heaps.

poppin wallabies is good value too. but cant beat a good deer stack and wack with the boys

DD6054F5-C23B-441B-B6C4-7903B06A12EA.jpeg

Ndbowhunter

May 18, 2021
these two were mean muggin me all dinner yesterday.

lucky i'm down in the Gila and not home with my bow
39216C8C-9846-4EA5-A712-3C4ECCDB9A04.jpeg

ptarmigan

Apr 13, 2008
Anchortown
My boy shot a small bull on our last morning. Only bull we saw that was close enough to put a stalk on. Sucks that we had to do the hunt early due to the low quota this year. Still, we like caribou meat and now we have some. That first backstrap was killer!

Reactions: Al Nyhus

Ndbowhunter

May 18, 2021
man that's good eats! can't eat tags..

about to snack into some halibut Dan sent me so not doing bad me self.

Dude270

Dec 23, 2014
Good deal guys.

Youth deer weekend is next weekend here so hopefully the kiddo will put one on the ground.

I'm tired if fishing and dove hunting, glad to see big game time rolling around

hangunnr

Administrator
Dec 12, 2007
Flatlandia
Good to see you guys racking up some red meat. Don’t know if I’ll have much time out this year.

A moose is one of my bucket list animals.

Ndbowhunter

May 18, 2021

Took the two oldest to Wyoming last weekend for chasing doe antelope. Hopefully we'll have enough points to chase bucks in a few years. I need to add another suppressor to the herd for the boy's rifle.
platte valley?

as for points, i'd just pick a general unit and hunt it a few times.

nimrod1949

Mar 1, 2010
n. idaho
***** River country.
The point game has changed dramatically in the past two years. We’re open to other units but I need to do a bunch of research to find one with decent opportunity.

Last edited:

Ndbowhunter

May 18, 2021
i fvckin win!! long story but after a catch i needed to show little man. he wasn't too stoked on all the noise.

812E49D3-387A-4560-B7B3-33E83EEC1BA5.jpeg

not my best shooting but she's good and zeroed. not sure why pic is sideways?
41E5EE11-256E-43FE-88BE-425909239255.jpeg

babes is doing well and so is mom, heading north and stoked to be starting the season!!
C1798BC9-12FF-42FD-82D4-E9117915D225.jpeg

Ndbowhunter

May 18, 2021
***** River country.
The point game has changed dramatically in the past two years. We’re open to other units but I need to do a bunch of research to find one with decent opportunity.

this guy was about halfway up fremont lake end of august
love them high elevation lope hunts. glassing pronghorn in quaking aspen is always fun.
B52B7261-7E27-45BB-825A-F759A95BD6A8.jpeg

Reactions: nimrod1949

Dude270

Dec 23, 2014
thanks for the kind words guys.

The kiddo passed on some does and a 4 point before this one. I like to let little stuff go but WTF, he is 10. We had a blast making the hunt last all day. He gets a lot of trigger time with that Shaen built 6 creed and its Vudoo twin. The kid is deadly.

Back to squirrel hunting until November because try as I might, I can't like arrows.

Hope to have some more stuff to post then

Reactions: ridgeline

Ndbowhunter

May 18, 2021
sent a good shot, when she went spun around i could see exit right in the lungs.

575 yards. 103gr eld-x at 2800fps.. 4dof says 1880fps impact.

think i need to scrounge up more 108 eld's.

Ndbowhunter

May 18, 2021
underwhelmed with the 103gr but i'm heavy into tag filling across couple states so no time to deviate

shot a meat critter at 350ish yesterday. 1" exit, not massive internal damage

shot a veal doe tonight. 300 off a stanchion in a pivot. she lived a lot longer on her feet then i woulda hoped but only traveled a couple yards tho. slightly quartered to, this is the exit

0D8936BD-1CD6-467E-A4C0-29809448BF40.jpeg

nimrod1949

Mar 1, 2010
n. idaho

Had a rare experience the other day. I purchased a Foxpro and tried it out for the first time. ~20 minutes into my first ever “coyote” stand with the Foxpro this cat is standing there looking at me at ~20 yards.

The 50 grain Vmax did the trick but not super quick. Found it against the far side hide. I could have hit her a little further forward and probably had quicker death. A little nerve wracking to wade into head high brush after something toothy and hear it breathing and brush moving in your direction.

Anyone have any lion recipes?

Dude270

Dec 23, 2014
Thats awesome Joel, congrats!

I've heard people say they are actually pretty good eating. I tried bobcat. Its not bad,cooks up white like pork.

Are you still making knives?

nimrod1949

Mar 1, 2010
n. idaho
Thanks everyone. I figured I would have to pay a guide with hounds to kill a lion so I was ecstatic to get one

Are you still making knives?
I haven’t been making knives since we moved 5 years ago. I keep saying “this is the winter I’ll have time” but haven’t made much progress. My kids getting older and starting fostering kids has really limited my free time. I really do want to get back into it though

KodiakHntr

Dec 19, 2007
Northern BC
Had a clear evening Monday before the snow was supposed to hit Tuesday morning so figured I better have a look for elkabou’s close to the house after work.
Had seen 13 cows/calves and an ok bull on a neighbor’s place on Friday from my back yard.
Snuck out stealth mode, belly crawled with my pack up to the edge of the field and looked for a haybale to shoot over while they hopped the fence (grin).

No bales available so tossed up the crossed hiking poles so I could clear the hay growing and snuggled into the 280AI Ascent/LRHS and flung a 150ttsx when he was broadside.

Managed to poke a hole in both shoulders and lungs at 384 and that made him pretty sick, but he was still on his feet trying to keep up with his cows, so he got a second one as he was quartering away at 416. Must’ve had a lot of weight on his right front leg at impact as he fell at the shot, but got back up.
He looked pretty sickly at that point (turns out the top half of his ticker was exploded) but the shooting is the fun part so when he quartered again just enough to clear his hips he got one more for luck at 464 yards.
First time using a reticle on flesh for holdovers, and I like it.
Caught 2 TTSX’s 8” apart in the offside shoulder, and the third exited just touching the outside of it. Great penetration but as per usual slightly different levels of expansion. First one was perfect expansion with one petal lost, second one lost all 4 petals but absolutely fucking crushed the leg bone and joint into powder so I guess thats ok.
4 bone in quarters hanging with rib and neck meat off the bone is 321 lbs, so a fairly reasonable body weight for up here (and heavier than my last two bull moose).
D1071364-F5F6-4FCD-B038-228CE58D7700.jpg

Attachments

Last edited:

Dude270

Dec 23, 2014
Joel, glad you're enjoying time with the kiddos, its time well spent. The knife shop will be there when you get back to it.

Kodiak, good deal, sounds like the ttsx did its thing.

Reactions: nimrod1949

dznnf7

Apr 30, 2016
Had a clear evening Monday before the snow was supposed to hit Tuesday morning so figured I better have a look for elkabou’s close to the house after work.
Had seen 13 cows/calves and an ok bull on a neighbor’s place on Friday from my back yard.
Snuck out stealth mode, belly crawled with my pack up to the edge of the field and looked for a haybale to shoot over while they hopped the fence (grin).

No bales available so tossed up the crossed hiking poles so I could clear the hay growing and snuggled into the 280AI Ascent/LRHS and flung a 150ttsx when he was broadside.

Managed to poke a hole in both shoulders and lungs at 384 and that made him pretty sick, but he was still on his feet trying to keep up with his cows, so he got a second one as he was quartering away at 416. Must’ve had a lot of weight on his right front leg at impact as he fell at the shot, but got back up.
He looked pretty sickly at that point (turns out the top half of his ticker was exploded) but the shooting is the fun part so when he quartered again just enough to clear his hips he got one more for luck at 464 yards.
First time using a reticle on flesh for holdovers, and I like it.
Caught 2 TTSX’s 8” apart in the offside shoulder, and the third exited just touching the outside of it. Great penetration but as per usual slightly different levels of expansion. First one was perfect expansion with one petal lost, second one lost all 4 petals but absolutely fucking crushed the leg bone and joint into powder so I guess thats ok.
4 bone in quarters hanging with rib and neck meat off the bone is 321 lbs, so a fairly reasonable body weight for up here (and heavier than my last two bull moose).
Needs more pics!

Reactions: KodiakHntr

rundmc

Aug 31, 2019
Had a clear day so went and helped my buddy fill his goat tag. Fucker fell roughly 1500 feet down a chute which didn't do the hide any favors but made the pack out that much easier. Can't complain too much for a day trip.

IMG_0764.jpeg