data-csrf="1623892964,9e7e25348ec3e78e528e3cbebb748637" Musing boats again!?!? | As Real As It Gets

Musing boats again!?!?

Calvin

Nov 17, 2007
Visit site
They are good, solid boats. That looks like a different hull design than mine. Use and balance is a big consideration when deciding between twins and a single. I am not sure I would want a single on mine with 5 dudes in the cab in a following sea but one guy put a single v8 merc 300 on his and is happy. But, that hull/cabin is different than what I got so it’s hard to say. Looks like more of a shallower boat style or is the pic screwing with me? Might get away with twin 115 merc command thrust engines. Mine is the sounder and does great with twin 150 mercs. 30mph at around 2.5 mpg.

Vek

Nov 3, 2009
That's a riverboat hull...jetline or whatever. Some of them are self bailing, and they're all pretty rugged. Pretty flat, but enough V to work fine in protected water. If it gets sloppy you'll be slogging, but you'll make it.

I spent enough time on piss flat water in PWS to know that that hull will get you out to Montague, and burn less fuel than a sounder in the process, while getting you there quicker. Single 300 would be a rocket.

I talked to one guy at the Whittier ramp who had a 22-ish wooldridge with a 250 optimax. He picked his days and if the water allowed, cruised at 35 knots.

ptarmigan

Apr 13, 2008
Anchortown
That's a riverboat hull...jetline or whatever. Some of them are self bailing, and they're all pretty rugged. Pretty flat, but enough V to work fine in protected water. If it gets sloppy you'll be slogging, but you'll make it.

I spent enough time on piss flat water in PWS to know that that hull will get you out to Montague, and burn less fuel than a sounder in the process, while getting you there quicker. Single 300 would be a rocket.

I talked to one guy at the Whittier ramp who had a 22-ish wooldridge with a 250 optimax. He picked his days and if the water allowed, cruised at 35 knots.

Yup, it's an Almar jetline hull. It was some kind of survey boat prior to getting the overhaul. My buddy will just be using it in the sound, so I think it should do fine. Can't be any worse than some of those 20'-22' Hewescrafts running all over out there. This is a pic of it prior to getting torn down.

Calvin

Nov 17, 2007
Visit site
Yup, it's an Almar jetline hull. It was some kind of survey boat prior to getting the overhaul. My buddy will just be using it in the sound, so I think it should do fine. Can't be any worse than some of those 20'-22' Hewescrafts running all over out there. This is a pic of it prior to getting torn down.

Is he locked into a single with the bracket he has? Single 300s ain’t cheap unless he has a line on a good used one. Twin 115s or 150 mechanicals will be in the same price range.

Last edited:

Calvin

Nov 17, 2007
Visit site
I will say that my contract boat was almost an identical hull as mine. He has a single 300 verado. I run twin 150 mercs. He follows me, same spots, same speed etc. the fuel burn isn’t even close. He burned significantly more than me in a day. If I burn 40, he burns 60+ gallons. Another operator told me the same thing. Same hulls, a single 300 versus twin 150s. Not even close in burn and longevity. You can expect 1500 hours out of a single and oil burn starts early on. 3-4K with twins.

just something to think about.

ptarmigan

Apr 13, 2008
Anchortown
I will say that my contract boat was almost an identical hull as mine. He has a single 300 verado. I run twin 150 mercs. He follows me, same spots, same speed etc. the fuel burn isn’t even close. He burned significantly more than me in a day. If I burn 40, he burns 60+ gallons. Another operator told me the same thing. Same hulls, a single 300 versus twin 150s. Not even close in burn and longevity. You can expect 1500 hours out of a single and oil burn starts early on. 3-4K with twins.

just something to think about.

Quick update on his boat. We took it out on the sound last week. He settled on a 250hp Merc. It was flat calm, so no heavy weather testing. We got 9gph @ 28mph/3500rpm cruising. Top speed was 43.5mph with 22gph @ 5000rpm. I think it will make him a great sound boat!